Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2011, 02:51 PM

29,407 posts, read 21,996,065 times

Advertisements

Does this mean these people are so damn stupid they don't even know who they are voting for? Why I think it does. What next just tug your ear if you want to vote for a dem and get your free cookie??

"A U.S. District Court judge has rejected a challenge to Section 5 of the Voting Rights Act of 1965 — filled when the Department of Justice barred the city of Kinston, N.C. from holding nonpartisan elections — reasoning that lack of access to party affiliation would discriminate against minority voters who otherwise wouldn’t know how to find Democratic candidates on a ballot."

Read more: Voting Rights | Black Voters | North Carolina | The Daily Caller
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2011, 04:38 PM

30,251 posts, read 23,719,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Does this mean these people are so damn stupid they don't even know who they are voting for? Why I think it does. What next just tug your ear if you want to vote for a dem and get your free cookie??

"A U.S. District Court judge has rejected a challenge to Section 5 of the Voting Rights Act of 1965 — filled when the Department of Justice barred the city of Kinston, N.C. from holding nonpartisan elections — reasoning that lack of access to party affiliation would discriminate against minority voters who otherwise wouldn’t know how to find Democratic candidates on a ballot."

All I will say is, remember Florida and hanging chads and "not knowing" who they were voting for? It happens! Unbelievable, but it happens.

Nonetheless, the way this is written, it insinuates that minorities are stupid. I don't think that's going to be winning any hearts and minds.

Old 12-26-2011, 08:54 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,453,455 times
Wtf?

Old 12-26-2011, 09:07 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,964,709 times
If you are not declared as being Republican or Democrat you are prevented from voting in the primaries in many states. I think this is why many people declare themselves.

Otherwise, I think there should be some identification of the party or what it stands for on the ballot. Look at how many candidates change party affiliation. That is good to know.

Ron Paul, a Libertarian, is running as a Republican.

Like myself, Mayor Bloomberg used to be a Republican, but is no longer.

D.Trump was, I hear, a Democrat, then a Republican when he must have assumed the party would welcome him with open arms. When that did not happen, he just recently changed to unaffiliated or independent or something of that sort.

Old 12-26-2011, 09:52 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,253,825 times
Quote:

Horace Chit, how can these people blame black voters for being this stupid? Why wouldn't they be able to select a name they wanted to vote for without the letter (D) after it? This whole thing appears to me to be an attack on the intelligence of black people in North Carolina and all other blacks.

This law appears to me to be an attempt to get away from partisan elections and that sounds very much like what we need these days.

Old 12-26-2011, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
All I will say is, remember Florida and hanging chads and "not knowing" who they were voting for? It happens! Unbelievable, but it happens.

Nonetheless, the way this is written, it insinuates that minorities are stupid. I don't think that's going to be winning any hearts and minds.
Most of the complaints in Florida were about the way the ballots were put together, not about what party any candidate belonged to. I say we need to get away from partisan voting before we can avoid partisan politicking.

Old 12-26-2011, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
If you are not declared as being Republican or Democrat you are prevented from voting in the primaries in many states. I think this is why many people declare themselves.

Otherwise, I think there should be some identification of the party or what it stands for on the ballot. Look at how many candidates change party affiliation. That is good to know.

Ron Paul, a Libertarian, is running as a Republican.

Like myself, Mayor Bloomberg used to be a Republican, but is no longer.

D.Trump was, I hear, a Democrat, then a Republican when he must have assumed the party would welcome him with open arms. When that did not happen, he just recently changed to unaffiliated or independent or something of that sort.
The weakest form of primary is the open kind. Too much party raiding can be done with the open primary. Now it is necessary to use party registration but once the primary is over I really think that party designation is not needed in the general election.

I think that the people behind this one, ACLU, Holder etc are saying that black people aren't intelligent enough to inform themselves about these things, and I sure can't agree with them.

Old 12-26-2011, 11:04 PM

29,407 posts, read 21,996,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
The weakest form of primary is the open kind. Too much party raiding can be done with the open primary. Now it is necessary to use party registration but once the primary is over I really think that party designation is not needed in the general election.

I think that the people behind this one, ACLU, Holder etc are saying that black people aren't intelligent enough to inform themselves about these things, and I sure can't agree with them.
Yep this one is beyond ridiculous. Dems are afraid they will lose some votes because the fools they've raised from birth and indoctrinated on the public system will be too dumb to figure out who's a dem to vote for.

Old 12-26-2011, 11:06 PM

6,137 posts, read 4,859,570 times
LMFAO

Old 12-26-2011, 11:43 PM

4,088 posts, read 4,386,289 times
Quote:

North Carolina is one of eight states prohibited by a standing federal injunction from changing voting procedures without prior clearance from the US District Court in D.C. This is due the history these states have of systmatically attempting to suppress minority voting rights.

From the article, it looks like Kinston attempted to make a change (for whatever reason ), and the feds wouldn't let them.

Sux to have a jacket, huh?

Here's a map of the affected states (basically, the CSA, plus Alaska):

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies