Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2011, 08:17 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,320,367 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Nice. Did you try a variety of training methods before killing the dog? And do you think all Pits should be judged based on your one experience? I was a pet-sitter for over a decade, and never had a problem with my Pitbull clients (or those I encountered at the dog parks). Only bite I suffered in that time was from an English Springer Spaniel, and they're widely touted as a great family dog. So you never know!
We even bought another dog (a Basset Hound), to try to get her to like other dogs. She tried to attack it at first, I remember, but warmed up to her after a couple of weeks. The Basset Hound was the only other dog friend she ever made. She tried to eat all the others.

Another one of my aunts owns a Springer Spaniel actually. Just last week I finally asked her what type of dog she was. She has owned her for almost 15 years and I didn't know what type of dog it was. lol.

Well, I'm 'pretending' for a second that the Springer that my other aunt owns is mean and violent (she is extremely sweet actually), but I still wouldn't be afraid of it the way I am afraid of the pitbull that my aunt owns. The Springer could attack me all it wants, I highly doubt it will take me down. The huge pit though, that one could easily cause some damage.

Old 12-26-2011, 08:21 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,320,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
I have a dog aggressive dog. He's part Lab. I guess we better start banning all Labs then!

How do I work with this?

SERIOUS TRAINING, that's how! I don't just kill him because he's dog aggressive, I have been WORKING with him and part of that is letting the dog know that I am in charge, NOT the dog.

I've had him just over a year now. They, (he and his sister and another that was killed by a car), were thrown out of a car in to traffic in Miami, FL. He took charge, trying to protect the other ones.

When he was a puppy, (I saved them from this horrid event and they were three months old), I had no clue he was dog aggressive.

As he got older that is when I discovered his issues. Did I think, "Oh just kill him!" No. I went and got a fricken trainer and we have been working on it.

The main thing is teaching your dog NOT parlor tricks like sit and stay, but teaching the dog a different behavior. You are in charge, not the dog. Your dog has to learn to respect you, that you will handle things, that YOU decide who you go after and who you leave alone, that YOU will keep your dog safe and protect it from harm, that the dog does not have to worry about those things.

It's not an overnight thing, it does take time but you gave up on your dog because YOU didn't train your dog correctly!

LOVE is just ONE aspect of raising that animal. Respect, in the dog world, to dogs, is a HUGE thing. If your dog doesn't respect you and is dog aggressive, doesn't feel that you can keep him safe, doesn't feel that you are a good leader, then yes, they will go ahead and attack what they think is a threat.

Once you learn how to...well, basically train yourself and then train your dog, those issues should diminish.

Further, it was YOUR responsibility to keep your dog in control at all times. You failed, NOT the dog!
I didn't fail at anything. I owned that dog when I was ages 7-12 if I remember correctly. Whatever issues the dog had was not my responsibility. My parents tried working with her for five years. Things didn't improve, and we were getting sued by the man whom she had just attacked. The dog had to go.

Old 12-26-2011, 08:23 PM

30,286 posts, read 51,837,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneTraveler View Post
The people of this Iowan town have spoken and this man needs to obey the laws they have set forth.
If the dog is a legitimate service dog, no he doesn't have to "obey the laws" - it's called the Americans with Disabilities Act, and cases have already been won returning Pitbull service dogs to their handlers. In this situation, one law (ADA) does in fact trump the other... sorry.

Old 12-26-2011, 08:24 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,440,457 times
That is awful. First of all, service animals are highly trained. Secondly, pit-bulls that are highly trained are not inclined towards violence. My ex raised an entire kettle of pit-bulls, none of whom ever lashed out violently, cause she raised them with care. I'm so tired of pit-bulls being pigeon-holed into violent dogs, when really any dog has the potential to be violent. Sure, some breeds are prone than others, but there is way too much hype around pit-bulls in particular. Every time a pit-bull bites someone it makes the news, but how many other kinds of dogs are there that bite their owner or a stranger that don't make it in the headlines??

Old 12-26-2011, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Same thing happened in Denver (where Pits are now banned), and the man was able to get his dog back through a lawsuit... in that case he was a war veteran, who used the dog to help with his PTSD and anxiety. Whether you guys believe it or not, there are many service dogs who have purposes other than guiding the blind - and if it's a legitimate service dog, they are violating ADA laws by removing it. So if this Iowa story is anything like the one in Denver, he should win his case against the state.

As someone who is blind and has PTSD, I think PTSD is way more disabling and people with PTSD should be entitled to service animals just as much as blind people are. Service animals who help the emotionally and mentally disabled should be taken just as seriously as service animals who help the physically disabled.

Old 12-26-2011, 08:30 PM

Quote:
I have a dog aggressive dog. He's part Lab. I guess we better start banning all Labs then!
I have a friend who uses a wheelchair who also has a lab dog who assists her with various tasks. Wonder if we should take her dog away too. He's so well trained and the sweetest dog ever--oh, but he has some lab in him!

Quote:
SERIOUS TRAINING
Thank you.

Old 12-26-2011, 08:38 PM

Quote:

How do I work with this?

SERIOUS TRAINING, that's how! I don't just kill him because he's dog aggressive, I have been WORKING with him and part of that is letting the dog know that I am in charge, NOT the dog.
As I mentioned above, my dog also has some issues with dog aggression - and he's a 40lb mutt, most likely Cattle Dog or Kelpie mixed with some Northern breed/s and a drop of Poodle. No Pit whatsoever, and I know that from a DNA test done as a puppy. They actually eliminated all breeds except Poodle, LOL... but at that time they didn't test for the most likely ones (ACD & Kelpie).

He hasn't ever really hurt another dog, and is ALWAYS friendly with humans, but he does get aggressive around certain breeds and puppies... so I hired a private trainer for $100/session, and worked with him extensively on handling the behavior. He still has to be firmly controlled around larger dogs (he loves small dogs), but he's MUCH better thanks to the training! Now it usually just takes a sharp command of "leave it," and he'll turn and practice avoidance with the dog he doesn't like. Took some time and a good deal of money, but it would take an act of Congress to convince me to kill my dog. He's a family member, and we'd all do whatever it took to save our family. Right?

Granted, I can't say what I'd do if he violently attacked a human - particularly a child. So I try not to judge what people do in those situations, but I'd probably still attempt training before agreeing to euthanize.

Old 12-26-2011, 08:40 PM

31,955 posts, read 14,961,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
That is awful. First of all, service animals are highly trained. Secondly, pit-bulls that are highly trained are not inclined towards violence. My ex raised an entire kettle of pit-bulls, none of whom ever lashed out violently, cause she raised them with care. I'm so tired of pit-bulls being pigeon-holed into violent dogs, when really any dog has the potential to be violent. Sure, some breeds are prone than others, but there is way too much hype around pit-bulls in particular. Every time a pit-bull bites someone it makes the news, but how many other kinds of dogs are there that bite their owner or a stranger that don't make it in the headlines??

I think any breed of dog that bites or mauls someone will make the news. I don't think the news is prejudice against pit bulls. Yet it seems to always be pit bulls that are violent and why is that.

Old 12-26-2011, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
I think any breed of dog that bites or mauls someone will make the news. I don't think the news is prejudice against pit bulls. Yet it seems to always be pit bulls that are violent and why is that.
Has it occurred to you that the reason it "always seems to be the pit bulls" is because the news picks them out?

Old 12-26-2011, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
I think any breed of dog that bites or mauls someone will make the news. I don't think the news is prejudice against pit bulls.
You would be wrong in that assumption, as they DO show prejudice against Pits in the news... attacks from other breeds rarely make headline news, but if you search reliable sources you'll find many examples. Not to mention, they often label a dog as "Pit" or "Pit mix" even if it's clear they're nothing of the sort. I can't tell you how many times I've seen a Pitbull Attack story, only to discover (upon seeing the photo) it's really a Boxer, Cane Corso, Presario, mutt, or something else altogether. Furthermore, these backyard breeders love to interbreed different dogs, and then call it a purebred Pitbull to make money. Funny when they're trying to call a 110lb dog a Pit, considering the breed usually averages around 40-60lbs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.