Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2011, 07:37 AM

37,971 posts, read 22,151,621 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
America is full of homophobes, those who openly declare their hatred for gays and those who keep it subtle, like in the closet.
Homophobes can smear gays with any epithets they desire, they will be defended. If homophobes are criticized they bristle with anger and indignation, such as 'how dare you criticize our righteousness!'
So why is this? Is homophobia a cherished American Family Value? Is hatred a cherished American Family Value? Maybe it is. Is a homophobe the ideal American citizen? The role model for others?
Why is that that homophobes regard gays as people with mental problems, but homophobia is not considered a mental problem?
I am not gay, but I'm not a homophobe either.
Seriously, we need a forums set up just for gay discussions like this. Seriously!!

Dude, or whatever... If you are searching for a Utopia, an Ameritopia, where every loves everyone else, and no one dislikes anyone else, for whatever reason, then stop searching for it, because it will never exist. some people don't like other people for no other reason then they have an accent different from their own, or maybe they don't earn enough money, or because they are unattractive.

You prob obsessed all Christmas day, over why there isn't an Ameritopia yet, and just had to post this. Guess what? Some people are Christophobes, and just don't like Christians. Maybe you can make another thread to discuss that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2011, 08:01 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,402,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocLot View Post
Believing that practicing homosexuality is wrong doesn't make someone a homophobe.
You're right. It doesn't make them a homophobe. It makes them incredibly ignorant and absurd.

"I don't disagree with being left handed. I think practicing left handedness is wrong."

"I don't disagree with being black. I think living the black lifestyle is wrong."

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocLot
Neither does saying that gays have "mental problems".
Depends on the situation. If born of ignorance and lack of education (see above), then technically not homophobia.

If used to denigrate (90% of the time), then it's homophobia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocLot
I think the problem is that the label "homophobe" is used inaccurately and much too often.
Oh. THAT'S the problem.

Old 12-27-2011, 08:02 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,402,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha;
Some people are Christophobes, and just don't like Christians. Maybe you can make another thread to discuss that.
Change that term and then we can talk. "Christophobe" indicates a problem with CHRIST.

He's cool.

It's just that so many (or maybe, just his most vocal) of his followers are horrid, oppressively ignorant human beings.

But don't feel bad. It's not just "Christ"ians. Some religions are even worse. Just not in America, where they don't have the numbers to enact social injustice.

Old 12-27-2011, 08:03 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,462,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
There's nothing "natural" or "normal" about male/male sexual intercourse. Quite simply, its disgusting and most people simply cannot relate to it. If you want to call that homophobia, so be it.
There's nothing natural about mixing different kinds of fabric together or planting more than one kind of crop in the same field. It's disgusting and most people simply cannot relate to it.

Old 12-27-2011, 08:34 AM

2,083 posts, read 1,620,776 times
Homophobes are accepted? In what world?

Go on TV and make a gay joke and you'll get hammered from every direction by lawsuits, boycotted, forced to apologize, etc. Look what happened to someone like Tracy Morgan. Homosexuals are in a protective bubble where you simply can't say anything negative about them; any criticism or even joking is considered to be distasteful or outright hate speech.

Compare that to how a religious bigot like Bill Maher can freely show outright hatred for religious individuals who oppose gay marriage without consequence or fear of backlash.

Old 12-27-2011, 08:48 AM

37,971 posts, read 22,151,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vejadu View Post
Homophobes are accepted? In what world?

Go on TV and make a gay joke and you'll get hammered from every direction by lawsuits, boycotted, forced to apologize, etc. Look what happened to someone like Tracy Morgan. Homosexuals are in a protective bubble where you simply can't say anything negative about them; any criticism or even joking is considered to be distasteful or outright hate speech.

Compare that to how a religious bigot like Bill Maher can freely show outright hatred for religious individuals who oppose gay marriage without consequence or fear of backlash.
The one group people can freely hate, denigrate and disparage with impunity are white, male, Christian, republicans.

Now, let's return back to our regular broadcast programing, of feeling sorry for the gays, lesbians, trannys and byes.

Old 12-27-2011, 08:54 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,507,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
America is full of homophobes, those who openly declare their hatred for gays and those who keep it subtle, like in the closet.
Homophobes can smear gays with any epithets they desire, they will be defended. If homophobes are criticized they bristle with anger and indignation, such as 'how dare you criticize our righteousness!'
So why is this? Is homophobia a cherished American Family Value? Is hatred a cherished American Family Value? Maybe it is. Is a homophobe the ideal American citizen? The role model for others?
Why is that that homophobes regard gays as people with mental problems, but homophobia is not considered a mental problem?
I am not gay, but I'm not a homophobe either.
Are those serious questions ? Homosexuality, at least in America, has never been accepted as normal. Until recently it was considered a mental illness. You're big on the word 'hate,' but I think for most you call homophobes, gay is yukky, or sick, or sinful or immoral, not quite hate of gay people.

You also overstate the freedom 'homophobes' have to express how they feel. An anonymous message board is one thing. In real life, betcha that doesn't happen nearly as much. Not many people want to be known as crude homophobic bigots. I mean, the f and q words are as frowned upon by most people as other 'slurs,' unless used by members of the group.

To those directly affected, progress is slow. But consider the Stonewall Inn raid was 43 years ago and now gay marriage is real. Viewing where homosexuals were, and comparing them to other social movements, the progress has been remarkable.

Old 12-27-2011, 08:55 AM

15,706 posts, read 11,774,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Change that term and then we can talk. "Christophobe" indicates a problem with CHRIST.

He's cool.

It's just that so many (or maybe, just his most vocal) of his followers are horrid, oppressively ignorant human beings.

But don't feel bad. It's not just "Christ"ians. Some religions are even worse. Just not in America, where they don't have the numbers to enact social injustice.
"I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians. They are nothing like your Christ." - Gandhi

Apparently Gandhi was a "Christophobe" according to Wapasha.

Old 12-27-2011, 08:55 AM

4,367 posts, read 3,483,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
Well, it's certainly cherished by Conservative right wing nuts and Christian extremists. However, I'd say it's more so because homophobia is protected by the 1st Amendment, where as gay issues are not, short of saying good things about them.

Honestly, it's just largely due to us having one of the most Conservative and uneducated populations in the Western world. We have the largest Fundamentalist/Evangelical population on the planet, and their ridiculous interpretation and application of a 4000 year old text is the overwhelming majority of where gay hatred stems from. That and people project their own insecurities onto others. Homophobia is a defense mechanism for many who can't handle a deviation from their black and white bubble and struggle with their own identity. Marcus Bachmann being a perfect well known example of that.
You think its bad here, check out Moslem countries!

Old 12-27-2011, 08:57 AM

4,367 posts, read 3,483,876 times
Quote:
The one group people can freely hate, denigrate and disparage with impunity are white, male, Christian, republicans.
Yes, there is no hate from blacks, females, Muslms, atheists, or Democrats.

Thanks for mindlessly furthering the Narrative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies