Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2011, 08:37 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
I guess like those scare tactics "if you elect a Democrat president they will be taking your guns away"
You guys are so easy to dupe.
Can anybody show where Obama's gov't police force has tried to pry those guns out of your cold dead hands.
Propaganda and scare tactics don't work that way.
Get the people thinking that gun restrictions are necessary and then pass laws.

Remember all those MSM articles about how most of the guns found in Mexico originated in the US ? Now we find out that it was probably our own government that gave/sold them the guns.

Getting restrictions into laws is a slow boil, not an overnight takeover.
Just look at naked scanning and groping at airports. That didn't happen overnight; it took years for it to get to this point.

You're also getting bombarded with articles on internet safety and only the government can protect you so they need more authority over the internet. Are you buying that ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2011, 05:38 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,972,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weedsnake View Post
I'd bet the program did not mention operation fast & furious.
Yes. Not by that name. It mentioned that some thousands of guns were sold to them by our government in an attempt to track them, but somehow control was lost.

I have a suspicion that fast and furious is the tip of something deeper, but as they were caught it is sold to the public as a one time deal. They also lost track of what happened to the money that was paid for those guns.

I am liberal, but believe in our freedom to arm ourselves. I have never seen anyone guaranty that crooks would not have guns if we gave ours up. I feel no fear of my neighbor having a gun, in fact if I were threatened, I think he would be there, helping.

Crime is decreasing in the country.
I read Freakonomics, which had linked when abortion became legal in the country with the decrease of crime. The greatest predictor of criminal behavior is a male child from a single parent home. The book said you could correlate seventeen years after abortion became legal with the start of the decrease in crime. Fewer unwanted and neglected children are being born.

I think both sides of political viewpoints in this country try to twist the truth, which often lies somewhere in the middle.

To sum up, if curbing birth of unwanted children dropped our crime (which makes sense to me), then why is this not being proposed to curb Mexican crime?

There are liberals who believe in our right to bear arms. The media seems to portray it differently. I think Ron Kuby, the radical lawyer, owns guns. Micheal Moore does.

I think drugs should be legalized, in varying degrees depending upon their danger. I think most money used now to imprison people could better be spent in rehab.

Last edited by goldengrain; 12-29-2011 at 05:48 PM..

Old 12-29-2011, 05:45 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,530,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
Yes. Not by that name. It mentioned that some thousands of guns were sold to them by our government in an attempt to track them, but somehow control was lost.

I have a suspicion that fast and furious is the tip of something deeper, but as they were caught it is sold to the public as a one time deal. They also lost track of what happened to the money that was paid for those guns.

I am liberal, but believe in our freedom to arm ourselves. I have never seen anyone guaranty that crooks would not have guns if we gave ours up. I feel no fear of my neighbor having a gun, in fact if I were threatened, I think he would be there, helping.

Crime is decreasing in the country.
I read Freakonomics, which had linked when abortion became legal in the country with the decrease of crime. The greatest predictor of criminal behavior is a male child from a single parent home. The book said you could correlate seventeen years after abortion became legal with the start of the decrease in crime. Fewer unwanted and neglected children are being born.

I think both sides of political viewpoints in this country try to twist the truth, which often lies somewhere in the middle.

To sum up, if curbing birth of unwanted children dropped our crime (which makes sense to me), then why is this not being proposed to curb Mexican crime?

There are liberals who believe in our right to bear arms. The media seems to portray it differently. I think Ron Kuby, the radical lawyer, owns guns. Micheal Moore does.
Why don't we just kill all the children? Think about how THAT would reduce the crime rate! Heck, in 100 years, we wouldn't have ANY crime at all!

Old 12-29-2011, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
Actually it proves the incompitence of the government to deal with the borders ,it has nothing to do at all with guns or mexican cartels . the liberals in government refuse to deal with mexico correctly and we have these and other bigger problems .
More an more americans are arming them selves ,and as a result there is less and less violent crime in america by comparison to other countries that have very strict gun controls .
Want to make a difference , get some gun safety training and learn how to responsibily own and handle a gun . Practice what you learn and practice with the defencive weapon you choose .
Doing nothing , is accepting what ever the criminal element is willing to dish out, or rather take from you .
On a side note, Yes I enjoy shooting as a recreation, and I hunt as well ,but for game harvesting only. And I have had gun and hunter safety training , and refir to the training in regular practice.
The program did mention that Mexico had very strict gun control laws.

Old 12-29-2011, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
Why don't we just kill all the children? Think about how THAT would reduce the crime rate! Heck, in 100 years, we wouldn't have ANY crime at all!
Stretching an argument into something that was not said and then attacking that is very obvious and not too bright.

The biggest predictor of crime is male children raised in single parent households.

Unwanted and neglected children, males, grow up resentful and full of aggression.

The girls, evidently, are no problem.

Old 12-29-2011, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Stretching an argument into something that was not said and then attacking that is very obvious and not too bright.

The biggest predictor of crime is male children raised in single parent households.

Unwanted and neglected children, males, grow up resentful and full of aggression.

The girls, evidently, are no problem.
You asked why we aren't doing that in Mexico.

How many Mexican children would you be willing to kill?

Old 12-30-2011, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
You asked why we aren't doing that in Mexico.

How many Mexican children would you be willing to kill?
I am talking about sterilization so women do not have those large broods of children with no future to look forward to. I am also referring to the fact, in this country, that women do not even have to have kids if they are pregnant. The same opportunity should be afforded poor women elsewhere.

The program was almost saying exactly that - cartels have an easy time recruiting among these men. Life is cheap and expendable because there are so many young men with no education, no jobs, and no other way to spend their time.

If I were trained in medicine, I would have no problem at all helping out.
Better than a life full of suffering and pain and hurting others.

Old 12-30-2011, 02:15 PM

Quote:
I am talking about sterilization so women do not have those large broods of children with no future to look forward to. I am also referring to the fact, in this country, that women do not even have to have kids if they are pregnant. The same opportunity should be afforded poor women elsewhere.

The program was almost saying exactly that - cartels have an easy time recruiting among these men. Life is cheap and expendable because there are so many young men with no education, no jobs, and no other way to spend their time.

I wonder what you'd think if Mexico came here and started sterilizing American women to achieve some policy goal of theirs or to "help" us out.

I doubt that would go over very well, would it?

Old 12-30-2011, 02:19 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,934,013 times
Quote:

Spoken like a true eugenicist. Maybe you could even set up a program to withhold assistance unless the woman chooses an abortion?

This really has nothing to do with the propaganda piece run on Al Gore-TV about the 90% lie and the problem with guns in Mexico.

Old 12-30-2011, 02:24 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,934,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
I guess like those scare tactics "if you elect a Democrat president they will be taking your guns away"
You guys are so easy to dupe.
Can anybody show where Obama's gov't police force has tried to pry those guns out of your cold dead hands.
1) Obama's Executive Order requiring additional paperwork than that required by law, for border state FFL's only.

2) Internal e-mails from BATFE uncovered by CBS news which proved Operation Fast & Furious was to be used to force more gun control (thus undermining the 2nd Amendment).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies