Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2011, 11:40 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,003,124 times

Advertisements

Well apparently you don't agree with our foreign policy when it comes to protecting our economy at gunpoint. It has been that way since the seventies when we went from gold to oil. Where have you been hiding all those years?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2011, 11:44 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,193,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Well apparently you don't agree with our foreign policy when it comes to protecting our economy at gunpoint. It has been that way since the seventies when we went from gold to oil. Where have you been hiding all those years?
I'm not an imperialist. I don't believe in making sovereign nations do what i want them to do at the end of a barrel.

We're supposed to be the symbol of freedom in this world, not a country of hypocrites. Either we're what we say we are, or we're no better than the Saddam Hussein's that we force out of power. Can't be both. Well, if you're not a conservative you can't be.

Old 12-26-2011, 11:46 PM

51 posts, read 59,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Bloated = Evil?

When did those two words become synonyms?

I agree with you that we spend too much on defense and could cut those costs, no argument there. But I do not think we should cut them by half or something drastic such as that.

We subsidize those other nations because it makes them reliant on us, the more nations under our umbrella of protection the more nations we have at least some element of control over.

Having that control is a major advantage for the US. How do you think we have the pull we do?

Old 12-26-2011, 11:48 PM

Then move because that is exactly what we're doing. See how free you are when oil is traded in euro's or yuan or whatever other currency. France and Germany tried it with Sadaam and Turkey got in on the action but they failed. Good thing for us even though you don't think that way. I guess you'd rather watch the dollar plunge to nothing and see folks starving in the streets? It wouldn't happen overnight surely but it would.

Old 12-26-2011, 11:48 PM

Quote:
I'm not an imperialist. I don't believe in making sovereign nations do what i want them to do at the end of a barrel.

We're supposed to be the symbol of freedom in this world, not a country of hypocrites. Either we're what we say we are, or we're no better than the Saddam Hussein's that we force out of power. Can't be both. Well, if you're not a conservative you can't be.
Sorry man, but no nation has ever gotten wealthy by playing nice in the world. It sucks but it's just the way the world works.

Old 12-26-2011, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alabamatrojan View Post
Sorry man, but no nation has ever gotten wealthy by playing nice in the world. It sucks but it's just the way the world works.
I agree. We aren't fighitng for territory we're fighting for our economic future. YOu don't become the worlds superpower by sittin on the sidelines. If it weren't for the dollar being the worlds reserve currency we would be in a world of hurt.

Old 12-26-2011, 11:54 PM

Quote:
I agree with you that we spend too much on defense and could cut those costs, no argument there. But I do not think we should cut them by half or something drastic such as that.

We subsidize those other nations because it makes them reliant on us, the more nations under our umbrella of protection the more nations we have at least some element of control over.

Having that control is a major advantage for the US. How do you think we have the pull we do?
Ok...fine. I'll go along with this.

But we have to change the name. No longer can we call it defense spending. The official name needs to be something on the level of Defense Welfare for Wealthy Nations....or Defense Spending for the Welfare of American Corporations. Or...Welfare Spending to Keep Pseudo Friendly Nations Under the U.S. Umbrella.

I kinda like "Welfare Spending To Buy Influence in Foreign Countries for Economic Benefit of American Corporations."

I want it called what it is. Welfare. These programs should suffer the same skepticism and ridicule that every other entitlement program suffers from folks on the right.

Old 12-26-2011, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Ok...fine. I'll go along with this.

But we have to change the name. No longer can we call it defense spending. The official name needs to be something on the level of Defense Welfare for Wealthy Nations....or Defense Spending for the Welfare of American Corporations. Or...Welfare Spending to Keep Pseudo Friendly Nations Under the U.S. Umbrella.

I kinda like "Welfare Spending To Buy Influence in Foreign Countries for Economic Benefit of American Corporations."

I want it called what it is. Welfare. These programs should suffer the same skepticism and ridicule that every other entitlement program suffers from folks on the right.
LOL. I guess it could accurately be called welfare for rich nations, but it's a benefit to us whether you like it or not.

Old 12-26-2011, 11:57 PM

Quote:
700 billion a year is too expensive to NOT play nice.

Besides, how are we the opposite of nice anyway? We didn't win anything tangible in Iraq. It's crumbling as we speak. Afghanistan isn't going to fare any better.

Basically, we're dropping these hundreds of billions and getting nothing in exchange for it. What did the average American get as a result of these 2 or 3 trillions spent in the wars since 2001? I don't see it.

Old 12-27-2011, 12:01 AM

Quote:
700 billion a year is too expensive to NOT play nice.

Besides, how are we the opposite of nice anyway? We didn't win anything tangible in Iraq. It's crumbling as we speak. Afghanistan isn't going to fare any better.

Basically, we're dropping these hundreds of billions and getting nothing in exchange for it. What did the average American get as a result of these 2 or 3 trillions spent in the wars since 2001? I don't see it.

You are assuming that I support the Iraq war which I don't, it was a stupid war.

Afghanistan was revenge and was a just war,however it's time to leave we have done what we can.

Like I said not all defense spending is justified, but cutting the defense budget by as much as you want to would be pretty dumb too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies