Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2011, 02:29 PM

4,255 posts, read 3,478,526 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
On the money. While I really wanted (and still want) single payer, this was all that could get the votes.

The funny thing is, both Romney and Gingrich (and Rove!) were all about the mandate and personal responsibility in 2006. To see them now spinning their positions is such a joke. It was only a few years ago that they were on every Sunday show - the Republicans - selling Romney's plan, the mandate, and "personal responsibility". I'm sure we'll see it in ads in the coming year, there's hours of it.

If it was all that could get the vote they should have scrapped it.

Old 12-27-2011, 02:30 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,453,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
In other words, you're all about being anti-Obama than pro-anybody.
I said I'd vote for Obama over Bachmann, Perry, or Santorum.

It's all about the lesser of two evils.

Ideals are great but they often have no place in reality.

Old 12-27-2011, 02:31 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,806,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
On the money. While I really wanted (and still want) single payer, this was all that could get the votes.

The funny thing is, both Romney and Gingrich (and Rove!) were all about the mandate and personal responsibility in 2006. To see them now spinning their positions is such a joke. It was only a few years ago that they were on every Sunday show - the Republicans - selling Romney's plan, the mandate, and "personal responsibility". I'm sure we'll see it in ads in the coming year, there's hours of it.

Since states can come up with their own plans, I think my state is smart enough to do a really good one. I just don't want a bunch of other people moving there to take advantage of it. I think there should be a multi-year waiting period so you can't live in a red state with a terrible plan, get sick and move to a better state to take advantage of theirs.
They're no joke, their base is. Talk popular and get them to sing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
I said I'd vote for Obama over Bachmann, Perry, or Santorum.

It's all about the lesser of two evils.

Ideals are great but they often have no place in reality.
And you thought Rick Perry used to be different. Credibility goes out right there.

Old 12-27-2011, 02:32 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,702,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterboy7375 View Post
If it was all that could get the vote they should have scrapped it.
No, I think and have always thought the plan would evolve. I never thought that was the final plan. I just think it had to start somewhere. I do not like having health insurance tied to employment.

If you want to talk about hypocrisy, look at what Republicans say now and what they said when they were passing Medicare Part D. Not funded, no bidding, etc. A total joke.

Old 12-27-2011, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
And you thought Rick Perry used to be different. Credibility goes out right there.
He used to be a bit more practical.

CPS fix outranks gay issue, Perry says - Houston Chronicle

Old 12-27-2011, 02:33 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,894,702 times
Quote:
A vote for Paul or Johnson harms the GOP nominee and helps Obama.
Obama and Romney are the same to me so it really doesn't matter.

Old 12-27-2011, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
Obama and Romney are the same to me so it really doesn't matter.
OK then...keep drinking the "I love Ron Paul" kool-aid. Or wake up and start thinking for yourself. There are plenty of differences. You don't have to like Romney. I don't like him too much myself, but I see him as being a hell of a lot better than Obama. And, unlike you, I accept that Obama and Romney are the choices, NOT Obama, Romney, Johnson, and Paul.

Last edited by afoigrokerkok; 12-27-2011 at 02:46 PM..

Old 12-27-2011, 02:45 PM

30,058 posts, read 18,652,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
For about 3 years I have tried to convince myself that libertarians had a place at the table with the Republican Party and that somehow I could change it from within.

This election cycle has shown me all I need to see with regard to the Republican Party. Their maginalization of Ron Paul and two-term former New Mexico governor Gary Johnson has shown me that the Republican Party is neither inclusive, or in step with my beliefs. Not only is this vitriol coming from Fox News, the party moutpiece, but it also comes from Republican Party headquarters itself.

I tire of the hatred against minorities, homosexuals, Muslims, atheists and agnostics (and libertarians, I might add) simply for their beliefs and lifestyles that do not affect you at all.

Now I'm coming to terms with the fact that libertarians won't be accepted either. While it's cute to say "don't let the door hit you on the way out," it should be noted that your dwindling membership numbers do not back up the arrogance displayed in the aforementioned quotation.

In short, the Republican Party is awful. You don't want my beliefs, but you want my vote. Unfortunately those two are tied for me so you have lost both. Have a good day

Keep in mind that a vote that does not go for the republicans is, in effect, a vote for Obama. I vote purely for fiscal reasons and feel as though any fiscal conservative, regardless of party, would be ill advised to support Obama for four more years of fiscal anarchy.

Old 12-27-2011, 02:49 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,806,382 times
Quote:
He was never any different to me. He was a crook then, and he remains an idiot today. I couldn't have voted in my sleep for him, I wouldn't today or tomorrow. But, that would be me. You seem to go with the flow.

Old 12-27-2011, 02:50 PM

2,385 posts, read 1,586,897 times
Quote:
He didn't cut education himself. The Legislature did - with his approval, yes, but he does not have that much power. The state was facing a huge budget crisis. I have a big problem with all the cuts to education, but that's a different topic.

I believe that Perry has been pro-illegal because of his "corporate buddies," just as you suggest. Yes, they are draining the economy. Especially education, ironically. If all the illegal children were out of TX schools, there wouldn't really be any funding problem. The Supreme Court has ruled that states must educate illegals, but Texas could still do things to make the state less attractive to illegals which would cause there to be less in the schools.

Another reason I think Perry has been pro-illegal is because Texas is about 40% Hispanic and he wants to appeal to Hispanic voters. However, MANY Hispanic Texans are very much against illegal immigration. I know plenty of Hispanics who are very, very fed up with it.

That said, the illegal immigration issue is mainly the federal government's responsibility and the problems associated with it are their fault and, at this point, they are trying to prevent states from doing anything about it. I can't blame Perry too much.

Yeah you are probably right that it is a job of federal government to keep illegal immigration in check. However I always wondered why there was never a candidate in Texas that would take a hard stand against illegal immigration. To me it always seemed like a vacuum. After all it's the hard earned taxpayer dollars of Texans that pay for the illegal immigrants to attend High School and having all sorts of free medical services. According to Santorum Perry even suggested binational health insuarance. And According to Romney they get subsidized access to UT.

Rick Perry Booed for Defending Tuition Subsidies for Illegal Aliens - YouTube

Last edited by itsjustmeagain; 12-27-2011 at 03:13 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies