Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2011, 08:19 AM

25,915 posts, read 24,565,938 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
I think you have that backward. Volkswagen is regarded as considerably more up-market in Europe than it is in North America, a situation that has confounded VW for decades. The fact that they tried to sell us the Phaeton is a great illustration of Volkswagen's disconnect between how they want to be perceived in this market versus how they are actually perceived here. Having given up on the idea that Americans will come to think of Volkswagen as a premium brand, they stopped selling the Phaeton here and dumbed down the North American Jetta so it would be competitively priced against its segment competitors.
The Phaeton is not successful in Europe, either. Same problem, people who want a luxury car don't buy VW. The Phaeton looks like a bloated Passat, people who want to brag about their wealth don't want to drive a car that can be confused with a boring standard car.
Mercedes recently had to close its luxury division Maybach.

Maybe such wasteful luxury cars are gradually dying out, would be a good development, frankly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2011, 08:32 AM

15,706 posts, read 11,706,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DT113876 View Post
VW is not a "rich man's car" in Europe, its almost plebeian. It's sold in the US as a "luxury car" aimed at the affluent but it really isn't.
VW is not affluent in America, it's the poor man's BMW here.

Old 12-28-2011, 08:39 AM

4,255 posts, read 3,465,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
VW is not affluent in America, it's the poor man's BMW here.

Stoners need wheels too man.

Old 12-28-2011, 09:05 AM

817 posts, read 850,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Yep. They do, we don't.

It's as simple as that. Germans could close plants and move production to other nations just like we do. But they aren't dirtbag corporatists like we have here. They've found a way to make nice profits, provide generous benefits to their employees, pay their taxes, and keep a clean country filled with happy long term employees. They also look beyond the next quarter's profit sheets.

That's the kind of stuff that makes American CEO's heads explode.
There is a BMW plant in Spartanburg,SC and a Mercedes plant in Tuscaloosa Alabama. Just saying....

To assert that ANY major car manufacturer doesn't build in other countries just shows a complete lack of understanding of the automotive industry and business in general...

Old 12-28-2011, 09:55 AM

57,022 posts, read 34,994,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cletus Awreetus-Awrightus View Post
Here's my take on that:

They make BMW's in South Carolina. Not all of them, but plenty of them. So for me, buying a BMW would be equivalent to buying local.

For decades, Ford, Chevy, and Chrysler never saw fit to open a manufacturing plant in South Carolina. When BMW came to South Carolina in the 90's, the big 3's unions went so far as to protest. They called South Carolinians lots of nasty names, "third world", et cetera.

So for me I don't have an ounce of patriotism when I buy cars, because I have grown to dislike the Big 3, their unions, their management, and their products. The "dirtbags" in my mind are the U.S. automakers. But the other point I was making is that the Germans do, in fact, outsource and offshore their operations to cheaper, lower-wage locations.
The Big 3 and many other large manufacturers wanted to produce in the south for years, i'm sure. Many, many moons ago...no doubt about it. But if they were to have opened a plant in lets say....1950, don't you think that would've presented a little problem? We're talking about South Carolina here. I don't think i have to go any further with that point because you know EXACTLY what i'm talking about.

Moving on, when i bring up the Patriotism angle, i'm not talking about the consumer, although German consumers do take that into consideration when buying an automobile. I'm talking about the management....the corporatists.

And once again for the 500 billionth time....i never said that they don't outsource and offshore. I said that they aren't interested in closing plants in their own country only to open them in cheaper locations. They do however outsource many of their newer products to cheaper locations. Germans see their foreign manufacturing as an addendum to and not a replacement for their domestic manufacturing.

Are there a few exceptions? I'm sure. But it's an exception, not the norm.

Old 12-28-2011, 09:56 AM

38,707 posts, read 102,697,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterboy7375 View Post
Stoners need wheels too man.
That's where Subaru comes in.

Old 12-28-2011, 09:57 AM

57,022 posts, read 34,994,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maskedman View Post
There is a BMW plant in Spartanburg,SC and a Mercedes plant in Tuscaloosa Alabama. Just saying....

To assert that ANY major car manufacturer doesn't build in other countries just shows a complete lack of understanding of the automotive industry and business in general...
Another one that didn't read more than one page of the thread.......

Find where i said that they don't build in other countries. Geezus.

Anyway...i'm out.

Old 12-28-2011, 09:58 AM

61,290 posts, read 87,073,039 times
a highly disciplined and motivated work force utterly disinterested in their chosen profession or fulfilling their dream. a group of people not suffering from an inflated sense of self worth.

Old 12-28-2011, 10:00 AM

38,707 posts, read 102,697,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
The Phaeton is not successful in Europe, either. Same problem, people who want a luxury car don't buy VW. The Phaeton looks like a bloated Passat, people who want to brag about their wealth don't want to drive a car that can be confused with a boring standard car.
Mercedes recently had to close its luxury division Maybach.

Maybe such wasteful luxury cars are gradually dying out, would be a good development, frankly.
An $80,000 car only has to sell a few thousand copies a year to be considered "successful." By that standard the Phaeton is successful enough that they're still on sale in Europe whereas they pulled the plug on N.A. sales years ago.

In Europe, VW's brand image seems positioned somewhere between workaday Fords, Opels/Vauxhalls, Renaults, Nissans, etc., and true premium brands like MB and BMW. In America, they're considered overengineered Hondas.

Old 12-28-2011, 10:00 AM

4,255 posts, read 3,465,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
That's where Subaru comes in.

Around here a Subaru is acalled a vermont caddilac.All the retrired dykes drive em.

Here the stoners drive jettas.

Then ya have the ultra liberals driving prius's , staring off into space.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies