Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2011, 07:50 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,460,466 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
They don't "own" the Strait of Hormuz. The opposite coast is the nation of Oman, so if it is not international water, which I believe it is, it is shared with Oman,who will not cooperate in closing the strait. Closing the strait would effectively be a naval blockade of the UAE, Bahrain, Qatar, and Kuwait. It would also trap our fleet within the Persian Gulf/Arabian Sea. That is clearly an act of war.
Correct!
That's what bothers me about these discussions - people who don't know the facts, still argue about what they don't know. I don't mind if someone has an opposite opinion, as long as its based on facts and the individual is informed.
As for Iran, I doubt their threats (blocking the straits). All they need is to keep things on fire and the price of crude oil will shoot up in all global markets. From Iran's perspective, a much smarter move than starting a war.

Last edited by oberon_1; 12-28-2011 at 08:44 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2011, 11:55 AM

3,913 posts, read 5,230,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
I guess you missed it where China decided to try DIALOGUE with Iran and now has billion dollar contracts with them.

(See my previous post complete with links!)

Sure, talk never works.

China made peace, for now, for the same reasons we used to, demand for oil for their manufacturing base which is considerable now? In fact they are more alike than we ever were or, could hope to be. They treat their citizens just as poorly, routinely kill and torture the dissidents they don't like or don't see things their way. I think their track record is pretty clear on that. Yep, you got me there. True progress, and they will kill anyone who says so to the contrary....

China would sleep with your mom right now if it meant unlimited access to your oil. We use to be that way....Shah of Iran? Just don't mistake that for amicable agreements. Like making a deal with a prostitute. Dirty, but, it does serve a purpose. Just don't mistake that for diplomatic progress....laughable.....if we started drilling and by some miracle produced more than what we needed and dare I aay, exported some, the Chinese, Indians and who knows, Chavez might suddenly, have a change of heart....too?

If that ever happens I just pray we are smart enough to open our version of OPEC; WOPC, western oil producing nation, complete with guys in beautiful suits, fancy palaces, and hands extended so their leaders can bow down, kiss rings, and basically grovel to mirror the "progress" you alluded to above....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies