Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: SHOULD THE HEALTH CARE INDUSTRY BE NOT FOR PROFIT?
Yes. 36 50.70%
No. 32 45.07%
I could care less. 3 4.23%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2011, 07:20 AM

1,733 posts, read 1,821,807 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Why do most international leaders come to America for major health care when their lives are on the line?
They don't.

80 000 people come to the USA for medical treatment each year, more than a million leave it for health care each year. Not counting the millions that go to Canada for medications. This is one of the most comprehensive humiliations of a system by its people, voting with their feet, seen since East Germany.

This is one of those areas where the American systems performs disastrously badly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2011, 07:37 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,680,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
This post says it best.

Actually, most hospitals are non-profit, or government supported, e.g. University of Colorado Hospital, etc.
That doesn't mean the doctors and nurses are paid any less. They are still in it for the big money - that's what the OP post is about, the health care professionals caring about money instead of working as volunteers.

Old 12-28-2011, 07:38 AM

19,890 posts, read 18,747,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
"Not-for-Profit" is simply a tax designation. Every industry is for profit or it would not continue to exist.
You have no idea what you are talking about.

Old 12-28-2011, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatima.spokane View Post
Maybe a social change should devalue money and start putting more value on being passionate at what you do for a living, and taking care of your brother as you do for yourself.........because in the end, what really matters is not MONEY....
I haven't gone to a doctor in 16 years and can count the times I've been to one. I don't need to pay a doctor $200 so he can tell me how I'm feeling. And I don't need a doctor to tell me not to eat junk foods, and how to get up and go for a walk or sign up for a gym and use it.

The fact is, most health care dollars aren't even to save lives. They're wasted on routine things, people believing that by going to a doctor, the doctor can cure them of a cold or running to a doctor every time they sneeze.

People who go very often to the doctors are not healthier than those who rarely see them.

Like one doctor said - he told this older gentleman that he needed to get more exercise, lose weight, stop smoking and drinking. And the older gentleman told the doctor "well doc if I could do all that then I wouldn't need you."

Old 12-28-2011, 07:47 AM

37,960 posts, read 22,137,721 times
Quote:
So much of the news and politics in the last year has been focused on the "rising costs of health care".......but, it doesn't seem like any of the debate focuses on WHY healthcare has become so expensive.....

first, think about the doctor before he actually becomes a doctor..his motives for wanting to become a doctor are important because if all a person really is after is a big paycheck the quality of the care after the person becomes a doctor may not be what the world needs at all....then think about how much money the person invests in becoming a doctor (higher education costs, basic cost of living, and then the emergency happenings you did not plan on happening - ie car wrecks).

Now that being said, think about what you personally are passionate about, does it co-inside with your job?

shouldn't it?

And when you think about your health do you want your doctor to be a person who is motivated mostly by money? Its kinda like when you take your car to a repair shop and they tell you the car needs this and this and this plus it wouldn't be safe to let you leave the repair shop with your such and such in the extremely poor condition it is in, so the bill is astronomical, and you barely understand what the mechanic said....he knows things you don't, and the mechanic will always get your money because of this ....

is it MORAL to be a doctor and take advantage (making people have to pay to be healthy) of the ignorance of others?

Maybe a social change should devalue money and start putting more value on being passionate at what you do for a living, and taking care of your brother as you do for yourself.........because in the end, what really matters is not MONEY....
Take it up with the colleges and universities that leave doctors with hundreds of thousands in student loans, and our litigious society that forces some doctors to pay tens of thousand of dollars a year for medical liability insurance.

Think about the highest paying careers, and how much of an investment in time and money went into them. We have actors and singers who barely put any money into their careers, and they make million of dollars a year. We have multi-million dollar sports athletes and all they did was attend college for four years.... maybe not even that.

Here's the catch with these entertainers, if they are not continuously trying to do their absolute best, they will be kicked to the curb. Money, and the competitiveness of the capitalist system, are good motivators to do your job the best you can, and push you to do innovate and improve your product or service.

People are not machines, they have other wants needs and desires that go beyond just being at their work place. I know a few family members in the medical care practice, and they normally work a six day, 50+ hour work week. You want them to do all this, and pay bills, for a salary that is next to nothing?

I've participated in a medical care environment where it did not matter how well the providers did their job, because they always got paid. Doing their best was not required, because their customers had no where else to go if they did not like the quality of care they were getting. I never want to see that type of environment again.

Old 12-28-2011, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
You have no idea what you are talking about.
Actually he does know what he's talking about. Check out some of the wages at the not-for-profits. Including not for profit hospitals -- the CEOs and VPs of those places have huge salaries. The county hospital where I live has very high CEO wages, and it's very inefficiently overstaffed. They don't have to worry about costs, they simply raise the taxes and never have to cut or look for inefficiency.

Old 12-28-2011, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Most doctors I know did not go into medicine for the money, believe it or not, many are very intelligent people, who like the challenges of attending medical school. Suren the money is a benefit.

Doctors earn their pay. Believe me. They work with people who make far less than they do, and yet, they are responsible for verifying that others did their job correctly, so they can do their job correctly. An example of this actually happened recently...a patient was all prepped for a complicated surgery on his left leg. The surgical site was scrubbed and prepped...by a CNA, an LPN, and verified by an RN surgical nurse. The doctor decided to review the chart one more time...and found out the wrong leg had been prepped. He had the correct site prepped.

So, if a doctor makes 10x more than the others on the team, he is probably worth it. Especially if it was your surgery.
A lot of people like the work they are in, but they want to be paid what they think they are worth too. If the job is more demanding then the pay being offered, a lot of people will decide to find something else to do. There will always be a small percentage of people who will do these jobs for little to nothing, but most people need more of an incentive then job satisfaction, and a pat on the head.

Old 12-28-2011, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Actually he does know what he's talking about. Check out some of the wages at the not-for-profits. Including not for profit hospitals -- the CEOs and VPs of those places have huge salaries. The county hospital where I live has very high CEO wages, and it's very inefficiently overstaffed. They don't have to worry about costs, they simply raise the taxes and never have to cut or look for inefficiency.
What is a nonprofit anyway, they can still pay high employee and executive salaries, buy lots of new equipment and incur huge operating expenses, but hey... in the end, they are still a nonprofit.

Old 12-28-2011, 08:15 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,711,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
rents/leases have gone up
electricity has gone up
property taxes have gone up
supplies have gone up
min wage has gone up
cleaning (sanitary) service has gone up

all add to the cost of health care

the average hospital spends over 400k a month just on electricity...that's nearly 5 million a year just to power the building

when a doctor charges you 200 dollars its not 200 dollars going into his pocket..he/she has to pay rent/lease/mortgage, has to pay for utilities, has to pay the help(nurse/admin/recept), has to pay for EQUIPMENT and supplies

half the problem(cost wise) is the government
Ah yes, the electric bill again!

Old 12-28-2011, 08:18 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,711,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
Yes, I want my doctors, nurses, and technicians making a LOT of money. I want the field to be highly competitive to attract the best/brightest.

What I don't want to be "for profit" is health insurance. I don't want the people who regulate the care that is paid on my behalf to be all about money for themselves and make the decisions. Because THEIR decisions will always be about money and not about me receiving the proper care. I do not think that people monitoring the "paperwork" of healthcare should be making millions of dollars a year.
Exactly! One of the best posts in the thread.

Quote:
it is funny that you say to stop blaming those who provide health care because seems to me those who provide the health care ACTUALLY HAVE THE MOST POWER to change the system from the inside....

For or non profit, doesnt matter to me really - just take the motive of profiting outta other peoples health and lives, its not right.
The post of mine you quoted said nothing of the kind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
I think the ancient Chinese had it right. They paid the doctors a modest regular contributory amount while they were well. When they got sick, they stopped paying until they were well again.
That is supposedly the theory behind HMOs. Seriously.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies