Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: SHOULD THE HEALTH CARE INDUSTRY BE NOT FOR PROFIT?
Yes. 36 50.70%
No. 32 45.07%
I could care less. 3 4.23%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2011, 08:19 AM

7,545 posts, read 8,325,030 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
You have no idea what you are talking about.
Please, do enlighten my ignorant self then. I work in health care. I am a medical professional. I work at a "for profit" hospital. I've also worked at hospitals that were not for profit. Wanna know what the difference was? Tax exemptions. Not for profit hospitals benefit from these tax exemptions in the way of not having to pay ie., property taxes on their properties. A whole lot of hospitals in Illinois are getting in trouble and are facing losing their non for profit status for not providing enough charity care, but that's not to say that for profit hospitals don't provide charity care. http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/11/us...pagewanted=all
It also has to do with how the business is legally structured, who owns it, if it's privately held or publicly held, the patient population of the community it serves, etc., etc., etc., but it all boils down to preferential tax status.

Quote:
“The relative amounts of charity care provided by not-for-profit tax-exempts are not materially different from the amount provided by for-profit hospitals,” said Jim Unland, a longtime analyst of Illinois’ health care industry and president of the Health Capital Group, a consulting firm in Chicago. “This raises the issue of whether the tax-exempts are getting prejudicially favorable treatment.”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2011, 08:22 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,722,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
That doesn't mean the doctors and nurses are paid any less. They are still in it for the big money - that's what the OP post is about, the health care professionals caring about money instead of working as volunteers.
Nurses, or even doctors, in it for "the big money"? Surely you jest! Nursing is a profession where one can make a decent salary w/o years of grad school, etc. (It wasn't always that way.) However, big money? Don't believe everything you read. I read some nursing message boards and you'd be surprised how many people ask just where this "big money" is. None of us are seeing it! Even for physicians, especially family practice, pediatrics, internal medicine and such, they pay is not *that* high considering the education level. We're not paid like rock stars or sports heroes, trust me!

Old 12-28-2011, 08:23 AM

8,396 posts, read 9,440,951 times
Default health care professionals should CARE about HEALTH more than they care about MONEY

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatima.spokane View Post
So much of the news and politics in the last year has been focused on the "rising costs of health care".......but, it doesn't seem like any of the debate focuses on WHY healthcare has become so expensive.....

first, think about the doctor before he actually becomes a doctor..his motives for wanting to become a doctor are important because if all a person really is after is a big paycheck the quality of the care after the person becomes a doctor may not be what the world needs at all....then think about how much money the person invests in becoming a doctor (higher education costs, basic cost of living, and then the emergency happenings you did not plan on happening - ie car wrecks).

Now that being said, think about what you personally are passionate about, does it co-inside with your job?

shouldn't it?

And when you think about your health do you want your doctor to be a person who is motivated mostly by money? Its kinda like when you take your car to a repair shop and they tell you the car needs this and this and this plus it wouldn't be safe to let you leave the repair shop with your such and such in the extremely poor condition it is in, so the bill is astronomical, and you barely understand what the mechanic said....he knows things you don't, and the mechanic will always get your money because of this ....

is it MORAL to be a doctor and take advantage (making people have to pay to be healthy) of the ignorance of others?

Maybe a social change should devalue money and start putting more value on being passionate at what you do for a living, and taking care of your brother as you do for yourself.........because in the end, what really matters is not MONEY....

You're shooting at the wrong target. It isn't health care providers who are the problem.

It's the health insurance establishment. They've outlived their usefulness and should go the way of the buggy whip industry. They add NO VALUE to the health care equation while extracting billions that go to executive bonuses rather than providing services.

Old 12-28-2011, 08:23 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,684,110 times
I also don't think there is any evidence that health care provided is of a better quality in the non-for-profits.

Old 12-28-2011, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I also don't think there is any evidence that health care provided is of a better quality in the non-for-profits.
You would be wrong!

Quality of care in for-profit and not-for-profit he... [Am J Med. 2005] - PubMed - NCBI
***CONCLUSION: By using standardized performance measures applied in a mandatory measurement program, we found that for-profit health plans provide lower quality of care than not-for-profit health plans. Special efforts to monitor and improve the quality of for-profit health plans may be warranted.

I found several other studies that said the same thing as well.

Old 12-28-2011, 08:36 AM

3,566 posts, read 3,732,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatima.spokane View Post
So much of the news and politics in the last year has been focused on the "rising costs of health care".......but, it doesn't seem like any of the debate focuses on WHY healthcare has become so expensive.....

first, think about the doctor before he actually becomes a doctor..his motives for wanting to become a doctor are important because if all a person really is after is a big paycheck the quality of the care after the person becomes a doctor may not be what the world needs at all....then think about how much money the person invests in becoming a doctor (higher education costs, basic cost of living, and then the emergency happenings you did not plan on happening - ie car wrecks).

Now that being said, think about what you personally are passionate about, does it co-inside with your job?

shouldn't it?

And when you think about your health do you want your doctor to be a person who is motivated mostly by money? Its kinda like when you take your car to a repair shop and they tell you the car needs this and this and this plus it wouldn't be safe to let you leave the repair shop with your such and such in the extremely poor condition it is in, so the bill is astronomical, and you barely understand what the mechanic said....he knows things you don't, and the mechanic will always get your money because of this ....

is it MORAL to be a doctor and take advantage (making people have to pay to be healthy) of the ignorance of others?

Maybe a social change should devalue money and start putting more value on being passionate at what you do for a living, and taking care of your brother as you do for yourself.........because in the end, what really matters is not MONEY....
WOW! What are they putting in the water on the Left coast?

Old 12-28-2011, 08:39 AM

6,476 posts, read 7,321,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cisco kid View Post
Healthcare costs in the US are 2-3 times higher than any other developed country and yet we have the worst healthcare outcomes. For-profit healthcare has been a disastrous failure. There's a reason why it doesn't exist anywhere else in the world. It's an idiotic system.
The underlined is flat out untrue. Compare cancer survival rates between the USA and Great Britain (with its vaunted NHS) and there's no doubt where you want to be if, heavens forbid, you are struck by cancer. Heart disease survival rates are similarly compared as are other disease categories.

Old 12-28-2011, 08:43 AM

7,545 posts, read 8,325,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
You would be wrong!

Quality of care in for-profit and not-for-profit he... [Am J Med. 2005] - PubMed - NCBI
***CONCLUSION: By using standardized performance measures applied in a mandatory measurement program, we found that for-profit health plans provide lower quality of care than not-for-profit health plans. Special efforts to monitor and improve the quality of for-profit health plans may be warranted.

I found several other studies that said the same thing as well.
Your link is about for profit health insurance plans and has nothing to do with not for profit hospitals vs for profit hospitals. Here is a better link that discusses non-profit hospitals, for profit hospitals, and government entities in quality of care. Quality of care among the three is multifaceted since for profits tend to target procedures that are more profitable, whereas government owned hospitals do not. It has more to do with the services offered than the "quality of care" received. Making Profits And Providing Care: Comparing Nonprofit, For-Profit, And Government Hospitals

Old 12-28-2011, 08:44 AM

37,961 posts, read 22,141,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Nurses, or even doctors, in it for "the big money"? Surely you jest! Nursing is a profession where one can make a decent salary w/o years of grad school, etc. (It wasn't always that way.) However, big money? Don't believe everything you read. I read some nursing message boards and you'd be surprised how many people ask just where this "big money" is. None of us are seeing it! Even for physicians, especially family practice, pediatrics, internal medicine and such, they pay is not *that* high considering the education level. We're not paid like rock stars or sports heroes, trust me!
Hmmm, but doctors do still chop off perfectly good feet and remove perfectly healthy tonsils, just to make some big money, like 0bama said.... don't they?

Seriously though, I agree, nurses do not make a lot of money, and they do work lot and lots of hours, and their work schedule is chaotic.

Old 12-28-2011, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
Hmmm, but doctors do still chop off perfectly good feet and remove perfectly healthy tonsils, just to make some big money, like 0bama said.... don't they?

Seriously though, I agree, nurses do not make a lot of money, and they do work lot and lots of hours, and their work schedule is chaotic.
Believe me, Obama and his speechwriters are full of it with that stuff! Like MANY laypeople, they don't know what they don't know about health care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies