Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: The middle class is suffering and Republicans want to cut taxes for the wealthy. Do you agree with t
Yes, the wealthy need more money and power. This will help America. 38 20.54%
No, the Republicans are dead wrong.This hasn't ever helped anyone but the wealthy and will continue to hurt the middle class. 147 79.46%
Voters: 185. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2012, 04:06 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,165,825 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
That's interesting. I never considered location a factor in federal tax rates. In our area, nobody would pay federal taxes if that was a factor.

I always thought that everyone should pay something, even if it was small. Everyone benefits from defense, roads, clean water, and the other infrastructure services provides. I'd like to see a basic flat tax per person - even a token small amount, and then a payroll tax that covered everything else for the lower income workers. Other than the payroll tax, take them off the tax rolls.
The only way to save the US is to re-invent it, and that starts with restoring the Constitution. Get rid of Homeland Security, Agriculture, Labor, Transportation, HUD, HHS and Education. Focus on defense and diplomacy. You'll know you're doing it right when your federal income taxes are 1%-3%.

Let the States handle the rest. Right now you have stupidity like a family of 3 in Kenton County, Kentucky can't get Food Stamps because their income is over $11,800 yet in neighboring Boone County, a family of 4 earning $32,000 can get Food Stamps. Why? Because Boone County is rural and Kenton County is urban and they're issued as block grants and the name of the game is spend it or lose it.

That's the kind of waste and stupidity that goes on and no one is served by that.

You all should be paying 10%-35% to your State depending on your bracket. You would get more services and better services. A State is just as capable of enacting a minimum wage law as the federal government is, and in fact, many States have a minimum wage law.

Better yet, just get rid of the IRS and go with a 3% National Sales Tax. The States can use personal income taxes, sales taxes or user fees or a combination.

Old 01-06-2012, 08:19 PM

2,046 posts, read 1,574,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerby W-R View Post
Is this logic or nonsense ?
most likly those rich people are the ones selling you things, believe me if the rich have to pay more to the government, they will make you pay more for the stuff you buy from them. we lose!! you lose!!! big government wins!!!

Old 01-06-2012, 09:04 PM

19,792 posts, read 13,948,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gysmo View Post
most likly those rich people are the ones selling you things, believe me if the rich have to pay more to the government, they will make you pay more for the stuff you buy from them. we lose!! you lose!!! big government wins!!!
That's not what happened in the period 1940-1980, when top rates were much higher.

Old 01-06-2012, 10:16 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
That's not what happened in the period 1940-1980, when top rates were much higher.
You are saying from 1940-1980, rich people werent selling and people werent buying? Want to explain how Ford got to be 3rd richest american who ever lived then?

Old 01-07-2012, 05:21 PM

6,721 posts, read 5,201,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Still waiting for you to quote me the section of the Constitution which authorizes the federal government to tax wealth?

Furthermore, property taxes tend to be more harmful to the poor, why do you hate the poor Cletus?
Article 1 Section 8: The Congress shall have Power To lay and collect Taxes, Duties, Imposts and Excises, to pay the Debts and provide for the common Defence and general Welfare of the United States; but all Duties, Imposts and Excises shall be uniform throughout the United States;

Old 01-07-2012, 06:13 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,418,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzards27 View Post
Article 1 Section 8: The Congress shall have Power To lay and collect Taxes, Duties, Imposts and Excises, to pay the Debts and provide for the common Defence and general Welfare of the United States; but all Duties, Imposts and Excises shall be uniform throughout the United States;

Which Duties, Imposts, and Excises are not currently uniform throughout the United States?

Old 01-07-2012, 06:22 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,364,053 times
I guess I am a member of the working class poor. I own no homes, I live pay check to pay check. Yet, I pay more in taxes than I make in four months. Does that make any sense? I have no deductions. I don't have the money to buy a house. I do my taxes, and see these deductions, "Did you buy a motorhome this year?", and you get a huge deduction for that, and tons of other stuff, that I will neverhave money for. The tax system needs to change to a flat tax.

Old 01-07-2012, 06:22 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,141,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cletus Awreetus-Awrightus View Post
well, off the top of my head, the GOP presidential candidates have been suggesting it. Gingrich wants to eliminate capital gains taxes, for example.
The middle-class benefits from low capital gains taxes as well.... not just the rich.

Old 01-07-2012, 06:25 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,141,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by totsuka View Post
I'm pretty tired of hearing how the middle class need more and tax the wealthy. We have the best system in the world for people to move up the economic ladder if they work hard.

Old 01-07-2012, 06:28 PM

1,724 posts, read 1,471,430 times
The Right believe that tax cuts for the uber rich are the panacea to all our problems. Republicans could care less about everyone else. In fact, they opposed putting more money in the pockets of working Americans (re: payroll tax cuts).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies