Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: The middle class is suffering and Republicans want to cut taxes for the wealthy. Do you agree with t
Yes, the wealthy need more money and power. This will help America. 38 20.54%
No, the Republicans are dead wrong.This hasn't ever helped anyone but the wealthy and will continue to hurt the middle class. 147 79.46%
Voters: 185. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2012, 06:40 PM

19,792 posts, read 13,941,962 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzards27 View Post
Article 1 Section 8: The Congress shall have Power To lay and collect Taxes, Duties, Imposts and Excises, to pay the Debts and provide for the common Defence and general Welfare of the United States; but all Duties, Imposts and Excises shall be uniform throughout the United States;
Amendment XVI

"The Congress shall have power to lay and collect taxes on incomes, from whatever source derived, without apportionment among the several states, and without regard to any census or enumeration."

Old 01-07-2012, 07:09 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,414,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
I guess I am a member of the working class poor. I own no homes, I live pay check to pay check. Yet, I pay more in taxes than I make in four months. Does that make any sense? I have no deductions. I don't have the money to buy a house. I do my taxes, and see these deductions, "Did you buy a motorhome this year?", and you get a huge deduction for that, and tons of other stuff, that I will neverhave money for. The tax system needs to change to a flat tax.
Nothing wrong with that, though. Most of humanity has lived paycheck to paycheck, or the equivalent, for thousands of years.

I kept pretty good records over the years. I didn't really start to accumulate wealth until I was 45, and the reality is until you sell an asset its just paper. It takes patience and discipline. Most new wealth is built in this manner.

There are months we don't spend very much at all. I'm ignoring housing because our house is paid off. But just food and coffee and miscellaneous stuff might be $1,500 one month and $500 another. We cook more than not because it's healthier and cheaper. If we paid rent, we could live a similar lifestyle for a few thousand a month. Lots of people live on similar income. Paycheck to paycheck. Other than the security of savings, nothing would really change.

Old 01-07-2012, 07:46 PM

38,647 posts, read 26,363,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
To answer your own question, has given the rich tax breaks since Reagen worked before or has it provided a wider wealth gap between rich and poor? Voodoo economics anyone?

9.3% GDP anyone?

Old 01-07-2012, 07:50 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,081,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzards27 View Post
Article 1 Section 8: The Congress shall have Power To lay and collect Taxes, Duties, Imposts and Excises, to pay the Debts and provide for the common Defence and general Welfare of the United States; but all Duties, Imposts and Excises shall be uniform throughout the United States;
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
Amendment XVI

"The Congress shall have power to lay and collect taxes on incomes, from whatever source derived, without apportionment among the several states, and without regard to any census or enumeration."
Here, I'll fix the bold for you both
Amendment XVI

So now back to the original question, how do they tax WEALTH under the Constitution?

Old 01-07-2012, 07:59 PM

371 posts, read 443,220 times
Speaking of Republicans and taxes...

Old 01-07-2012, 08:55 PM

1,724 posts, read 1,470,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
It is not an attack, and I apologize if you perceived it that way. Your perception of republicans is shared by many, and it is false. That was my point.
It was absolutely an attack. You attacked my name rather than my post.

If you want to change my perception about Republicans, then they (and you) need to change your behavior.

Old 01-07-2012, 09:04 PM

1,724 posts, read 1,470,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
You mean substance like this?

btw, the GOP wanted a one year extension to the payroll tax cut, it was Democratic Senate who only passed a 2 month one.. Woops.. another liberal wrong again.. how shocking.
Tying payroll taxes to the Keystone XL pipeline is extremely dishonest. However, that is how Republicans roll. Republicans did not want to extend the payroll tax in a honest manner.

Old 01-07-2012, 09:21 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,414,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Common Anomaly View Post
Tying payroll taxes to the Keystone XL pipeline is extremely dishonest. However, that is how Republicans roll. Republicans did not want to extend the payroll tax in a honest manner.
I would say that is how DC rolls. Both sides play that way. Recess appointments? Obamacare? Bridge to Nowhere? I could list a hundred examples of partisan behavior from both sides. One does not make the other right.

The republicans wanted to restore the TEMPORARY cut that was enacted by Obama. Restoring it was the proper thing to do. The Democrats wanted another year, but with their own restrictions. The GOP holds the house. They had their own ideas. The Democrats were not willing to compromise.

Three years ago, Obama sat in a meeting and told republicans "we won, you lost, get used to it". Two years after his election, America elected republicans to restore some balance. The mandate was not of the republicans, per se, but rather the people, who in our representative republic send congressman to Washington to act on their behalf.

The constituents of these congressmen are collectively the voice of the people. I hate to throw it back at you, but the republicans could easily say "we won, you lost, get used to it.".

The vicious cycle repeats, and everyone suffers. What is needed is common sense maturity. The media has conditioned American's to believe what THEY want you to believe. I don't listen to MSNBC or FOX for that reason - both are partisan lobby machines as opposed to news organizations.

You can believe that republicans have some evil agenda and are against the poor. It is a false perception. On any given day, at least half the nation identifies with the GOP. If the GOP were to remove abortion and gay issues from its agenda, focusing on fiscal responsibility, America would never elect another Democrat. Of that I am reasonably certain.

Old 01-07-2012, 09:45 PM

4,042 posts, read 3,527,793 times
OP, not so. The GOP wants to cut taxes for all of us, not just for the wealthy. Let's keep it real.~

Old 01-07-2012, 09:49 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,081,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Common Anomaly View Post
The Senate could have passed the bill for 1 year without the pipeline and it would have been signed by the House.. It was the Senate that screwed it up like everything else they've done all year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies