Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: The middle class is suffering and Republicans want to cut taxes for the wealthy. Do you agree with t
Yes, the wealthy need more money and power. This will help America. 38 20.54%
No, the Republicans are dead wrong.This hasn't ever helped anyone but the wealthy and will continue to hurt the middle class. 147 79.46%
Voters: 185. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2012, 08:21 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,483,709 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
Well, if you don't want to tax income, what do you want to tax?
clearly, I must have studdered....
I said tax spending..not income

Americans For Fair Taxation: Americans For Fair Taxation

Old 01-22-2012, 08:51 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,948,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
clearly, I must have studdered....
I said tax spending..not income

Americans For Fair Taxation: Americans For Fair Taxation
So, the middle-class, who spends most of their income will pay a sales taxes on what they buy but the rich, who save the fast amount of their income, will get off taxed lightly.

Sales taxes are about the most regressive form of taxation.

Old 01-22-2012, 02:02 PM

Quote:
So, the middle-class, who spends most of their income will pay a sales taxes on what they buy but the rich, who save the fast amount of their income, will get off taxed lightly.

Sales taxes are about the most regressive form of taxation.
I thought liberals were about fairness and equality

a 'progressive' tax is REGRESSIVE and DISCRIMINATORY

the ONLY way to make it fair is EVERYONE pays the same rate...EVERYONE has skin in the game

right now the middleclass and lower earners pay nothing or nearly nothing, and in some cases get more form the government than they put in...it is very DISCRIMINATORY....

I guess liberals are not about liberty anymore

Old 01-22-2012, 03:41 PM

6,721 posts, read 5,201,401 times
Quote:
Well, if you don't want to tax income, what do you want to tax?
Wealth.

Old 01-22-2012, 04:12 PM

Quote:
I thought liberals were about fairness and equality

a 'progressive' tax is REGRESSIVE and DISCRIMINATORY

the ONLY way to make it fair is EVERYONE pays the same rate...EVERYONE has skin in the game

right now the middleclass and lower earners pay nothing or nearly nothing, and in some cases get more form the government than they put in...it is very DISCRIMINATORY....

I guess liberals are not about liberty anymore
By definition, a progressive tax that takes a larger percentage from the income of high-income earners than it does from low-income individuals.

The idea that a progressive tax is "discriminatory" because it discriminates on the basis of income is silly. There is no legal tenant that bars discrimination on every basis. If there were, colleges wouldn't be able to discriminate on the basis of SAT scores, which they do. As long as discrimination isn't based upon race, religion, national origin, sex, etc., it's legal.

Is the progressive tax system fair? Since one only pays a higher rate on the amount over the range, it is fair. Everyone pays the same rate in that bracket. If you are fortunate enough to earn more, you pay a higher rate only on that additional marginal portion.

I think it's a fools errand to be debating the progressive income tax. You're revisiting old issues that have long been settled.

Old 01-22-2012, 07:33 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,594,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzards27 View Post
Refresh my memory, who push thru that unfunded Medicare program during bush II?

Well, a LIBERAL named Bush II......that is who.

MOST Republir*t-Phonycons are LIBERALS.

Old 01-22-2012, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Well, a LIBERAL named Bush II......that is who.

MOST Republir*t-Phonycons are LIBERALS.
Trap, we do remember those three or four hour votes in the middle if the night. Who was that running the show in congress on that 1/2 trillion dollar mess.

Old 01-22-2012, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzards27 View Post
Trap, we do remember those three or four hour votes in the middle if the night. Who was that running the show in congress on that 1/2 trillion dollar mess.

who was running the show.....NEO-CON...and what are neo-cons....LIBERALS wrapped in southern baptist clothing....ie SPEND happy liberals who are conservative only at the SOCIAL level

bush was not now or ever a conservative...he was very liberal in spending

Old 01-23-2012, 06:03 AM

Quote:
who was running the show.....NEO-CON...and what are neo-cons....LIBERALS wrapped in southern baptist clothing....ie SPEND happy liberals who are conservative only at the SOCIAL level

By use of backward reasoning any Republican who puts forth policies that aren't what conservatives SAY are conservative policies aren't conservatives. In reality, it's just proof that conservatives talk-the-talk but don't walk-the-walk.

In years past, conservatives believed in balanced budgets, minimal foreign intervention and torture is only what the Communists did. When Bush was President, conservatives believed in deficit spending, foreign intervention and thought torture was just fine.

Old 01-25-2012, 08:48 PM

Quote:

Sorry, don't blame us for them, the neo cons belong to you now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies