Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2011, 12:49 PM

1,027 posts, read 1,971,322 times

Advertisements

People are moving to Texas because it happens to have a good economy - but that's really the only thing going for it. Sure, it has some beaches...

People like it because the cost of living is low. Why is it low? Because it sucks to live there.

Take it from a former Oklahoman. Oklahoma is basically Texas-North. Good economy, cheap living, just up the highway. What else does it have going for it? Nothing, it sucks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2011, 12:50 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,713,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
I've lived in both too. I like the red states. The weather is nice. They are usually less congested, and there are so many of us blue staters hanging out in them that the politics are pretty moderate. There is reason why Chicago can charge such a high tax rate though. People are still willing to pay a premium to live there. If the COL were the same for Chicago as it were for Houston, 95 percent of those who are familiar with both would be living in Chi-town.
Chicago is a very fun town but too cold! But if I was forced to choose between that and Houston, I'd take Chicago.

Old 12-29-2011, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyVaz1009 View Post
People are moving to Texas because it happens to have a good economy - but that's really the only thing going for it. Sure, it has some beaches...
But Southern beaches are not that pretty compared to other coasts. Unless you're talking Florida but that's why you go there on vacation, enjoy the best of it and leave.

Old 12-29-2011, 12:55 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,461,656 times
Quote:
People like it because the cost of living is low. Why is it low? Because it sucks to live there.
No it doesn't. And I am not religious and am not very socially conservative.

Quote:
Take it from a former Oklahoman. Oklahoma is basically Texas-North. Good economy, cheap living, just up the highway. What else does it have going for it? Nothing, it sucks.
Oklahoma and Texas have quite a few differences.

Old 12-29-2011, 12:55 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,644,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Chicago is a very fun town but too cold! But if I was forced to choose between that and Houston, I'd take Chicago.
I love Chicago (it is cold, big drawback), but if I were forced to choose between Chicago and Houston, I'd pick Houston. Chicago is nice, but it's not so nice that it's worth the premium it cost to live there. If it costs the same to live in both, however, I wouldn't even have to consider which to pick for a fraction of a second. Chicago.

Red staters, jump off your high horse. People are moving in because the COL is low. So you're cheap. Big deal. That's nothing to brag about. And most of those I know who are coming are coming in spite of the political climate, not because of it.

Old 12-29-2011, 12:58 PM

1,027 posts, read 1,971,322 times
Sure, there are some who actually like it there.

However, I find it highly ironic that Texans in general tend to run around yelling at the top of their lungs how great their state is and how it's better than every other state because it's Texas.

And then they come to Colorado to vacation.

Old 12-29-2011, 01:00 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,461,656 times
Quote:
Sure, there are some who actually like it there.

However, I find it highly ironic that Texans in general tend to run around yelling at the top of their lungs how great their state is and how it's better than every other state because it's Texas.

I've pointed out specific reasons why I think Texas is better than other states in some ways. I certainly don't think any state is the best in every way.

And why should I not vacation in Colorado? I like Colorado. Do you dislike the money that tourism brings in? Is my money different from that of other Americans, me being a "redneck" Texan and all? And, like it or not, part of Colorado's success is because of conservatism, not liberalism.

Last edited by afoigrokerkok; 12-29-2011 at 01:16 PM..

Old 12-29-2011, 01:01 PM

Quote:

My point, thank you! They're moving here, it's like a siege! Really not liking it.

Old 12-29-2011, 01:05 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
My point, thank you! They're moving here, it's like a siege! Really not liking it.
Well gee, it's not like they are going to demand additional services that blue states have. If anything they will eventually start complaining about the amount of taxes they have to pay for services they don't use.

Old 12-29-2011, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Well gee, it's not like they are going to demand additional services that blue states have. If anything they will eventually start complaining about the amount of taxes they have to pay for services they don't use.
If they do, we will say, good, leave. Please leave. We didn't ask you here and apparently your state is awesome so please go back. Just like, for example, health care. I would like to see the insurance exchanges by state. Obamacare says each state can do their own and I think Washington is smart enough to do a pretty good one. But I want there to be a lengthy qualifying period so those from red states can't just move here and take advantage when they get sick. Because you know, the red states would do it badly or not at all.

So the mindset of a Texan just doesn't belong here and that's why they get the side eye on the road and in the parking lots.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies