Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2011, 11:19 AM

57,022 posts, read 34,991,358 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
I'm a Western Pennsylvania/Ohio border transplant, but I've been down south to visit relatives many times. Gimme fried catfish, hushpuppies and Mississippi mud pie any time over the pierogi and kielbassa folks love here. I never did acquire a taste for it. I'm Pennsylvania Dutch myself, born and bred. Ach now, THAT'S gut fressin'!
Pierogi and Kielbasa are JUST as good and hearty as any meal coming out of the South. And this is coming from a black man raised in the Deep South Soul Food tradition. I love Eastern European foods, and the take that you get on them in the Northern States. That food has just as much "soul" as any Southern style dish.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2011, 11:20 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,787,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Pierogi and Kielbasa are JUST as good and hearty as any meal coming out of the South. And this is coming from a black man raised in the Deep South Soul Food tradition. I love Eastern European foods, and the take that you get on them in the Northern States. That food has just as much "soul" as any Southern style dish.
Peasant food.....it is what I personally like.

Old 12-29-2011, 11:21 AM

6,476 posts, read 7,292,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Gimme a plate stacked with pierogis (I'm partial to potato and sauerkraut, but hey: Whatever floats yer boat), a dollop of good strong mustard, and a nice Polish beer and I'm a happy, happy camper.

This thread is making me hungry!

Old 12-29-2011, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Scates View Post
^snob right there.

There's nothing wrong with Applebees. It's not hoity-toity but it's a great place to go with the family.
Some folks should be thankful that they can afford their superior attitude.
Friends don't take out-of-town visitor friends to Applebees....sorry. I don't give a damn what you say. It's lame. Applebees is where you go when everything worth eating is closed and they're the only clowns still open. I'll occasionally go in and get a Quesadilla Burger. But at least i recognize how lame i am when i do it.

Does that make me a snob? Probably. But i can live with that.

Old 12-29-2011, 11:23 AM

When I have visitors in from out of town, I take 'em out for a fine Italian meal. If they don't like Italian food I take 'em to Olive Garden.

Old 12-29-2011, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterboy7375 View Post
Do ya have red lobsters ( dead lobster) out that way? THey tried new england not realizing anyone living within 300 miles of georges bank has no desire to eat frozen alaskan pollock.
Yea, we have Red Lobster. That's another lame chain, but i'll eat there in a pinch. But i'd never actually RECOMMEND it to anyone. I'd much rather eat at the Blue Fin Bistro, or something like that.

Old 12-29-2011, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
So what you are really saying is that the northern States have no cuisine of their own, they just assimilate the cuisine from other areas and other countries.

There is nothing distinctive about any of the food, or they way it is prepared, in the northern States. Therefore, there is no comparison between the southern States and the north. The southern States have a distinctive cuisine, northern States do not. Northern States merely copy and imitate everyone else.
There is absolutely no truth is what you're saying. None. Not a drop. Food up North is just as good and often better than what you find in the South.

Old 12-29-2011, 11:26 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,700,706 times
Quote:
So what you are really saying is that the northern States have no cuisine of their own, they just assimilate the cuisine from other areas and other countries.
That's what I think of cuisines like Cajun and Creole as well. Nothing wrong with that! Or, "Tex-Mex" for that matter.

Old 12-29-2011, 11:26 AM

11,078 posts, read 15,019,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
I do like chittlens and possum pie but friggins grits are OUT!!!! I bet most of you wouldn't or couldn't eat lutefisk if you got paid too!!! (me niether)
THAT is the absolutely nastiest substance on earth.

I think I would rather eat a dog turd with a hair in it(though I have never tried either) than Lutefisk...end result would be the same [insert puking emoticon here]

Old 12-29-2011, 11:28 AM

Quote:

There is nothing distinctive about any of the food, or they way it is prepared, in the northern States. Therefore, there is no comparison between the southern States and the north. The southern States have a distinctive cuisine, northern States do not. Northern States merely copy and imitate everyone else.
An example of why I think your post is wrong that comes quickly to mind is an old-fashioned New England clam bake. We've got great seafood up here (as does the South, of course) and that alone has inspired the creative use of local ingredients. I'd say that is but one example of distinctive regional cuisine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies