Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2011, 07:00 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,193,725 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
No, you don't get it. Anything you can get in NY, you can get somewhere else. Either NO, Dallas, Houston, Miami or Atlanta. NY just has more restaurants and more pretentious critics that think the world starts and ends in NY. It doesn't.

Yankee food is bland, tasteless. I've been there, done that.
Stopping at Golden Corral in Toledo doesn't count.

Been there, done that my ass.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2011, 07:01 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,998,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
If you are going to buy good seafood, buy it from the source. I would not buy bluefin tuna in grocery store in Alaska any more than you should buy king crab or wild salmon in Florida.

Thank goodness for the Internet.

Sagaya Seafood Orders
What do you think Lombardi's is, Krogers?
Um, where do you think I get pompano, redfish, grouper, oysters, shrimp and such from?
Lombardi's IS the source for things of that nature.
They fly the non-native critters in, so they are the source for that as well.

Old 12-29-2011, 07:31 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,592,930 times
Golden Corral. lol. how about this horrid place- It would never survive in NY or any major city....but hey 10 bucks a meal n kids eat free...yuck.

Ryan's Steakhouse - Oak Ridge | Urbanspoon
dumpster diving in Knoxville,lol.

Old 12-29-2011, 07:32 PM

46,951 posts, read 25,984,404 times
Default Elitist newspaper doesn't, in fact, call southern food undignified.

Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
Ahhhh ovcatto, I never said it was from the NY Times article did I?

Go back and click on the link I posted in the OP
I did. The I clicked on the link going to an NYT column heaping praise on traditional Southern food. Neither the blogger nor you appear to have read (or at least understood) the NYT piece.

Quote:
You people have a way with twisting words around don't you?
Nah. Twisting words around would be a headline like "Elitist newspaper calls southern food "undignified"", particularly when the one single word you placed in quotation marks ("undignified") doesn't even appear in the article.

Falsely attributing quotes is considered lying in quite a few places.

Old 12-29-2011, 07:38 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,715,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
But everything in NYC can be found elsewhere too...

That's pretty much the point to me. Almost everything out there can be had almost anywhere. Certain foods are going to be better in certain places -- Cajun down south, Kosher deli and bagels in NYC, Chicago deep dish in Chicago, New England Clam chowdah in New England. Chefs elsewhere will do a darn fine job (provided they are good at what they do) but they will be limited by the availability of fresh regional ingredients.

It's all good people!

That stated, would someone please send me a Red's Eats lobstah roll, please?

Old 12-29-2011, 07:40 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,715,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
Golden Corral. lol. how about this horrid place- It would never survive in NY or any major city....but hey 10 bucks a meal n kids eat free...yuck.

Ryan's Steakhouse - Oak Ridge | Urbanspoon
dumpster diving in Knoxville,lol.
I spent some time in southern Utah this summer. One place that looked horrid, and I couldn't imagine setting foot into, had a very unappealing moniker:
The Chuck-O-Rama
CHUCK-A-RAMA : HOME

Yes, I get the play on 'Chuck Wagon' western cuteness, but really, all this easterner could think of was Up Chucking.

Old 12-29-2011, 08:07 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,592,930 times
When you read reviews on urbanspoon.com or trip advisor and others, the cleanliness factor is also an issue...not so cute....and if managers at these "buffets" are making 18k a year its safe to assume the conditions are less than ideal....ugh, its not an elitist thing to refuse to go to 11.00 buffets and get Hepatitis B or typhoid.lol

Old 12-29-2011, 08:28 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,998,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by constanceb21 View Post
You keep saying 'you' referring to Americans and 'we' when referring to yourself.

Correct me I'm wrong but I believe you mentioned previously you were born in the United States and served 'for the country'?

Which is it, is your loyalty to the great country of Romania or the US?
The use of "we" either means that they're Queen Victoria, or that they have a mouse in their pocket.

Old 12-29-2011, 08:31 PM

5,376 posts, read 5,345,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
Out of curiosity, did any of you actually read the NYT article? Because I did, and it's actually quite complimentary of Southern cuisine, and talks about the food-to-table movement, and the Southern revival.

Southern Farmers Vanquish the Cliches
Of course they didn't read the article (it was very interesting).
Fox told them all they needed to be told.

Old 12-29-2011, 10:23 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,691,376 times
We've got good options in Maryland. A little bit of everything. Fancy cuisine (the restaurant "Volt" by Bryan Voltaggio comes to mind), small truckstop food joints, some good BBQ (although we're a bit too northern for the best), lots of ethnic cuisines especially near DC. And far less of the snobbiness about it compared to the far North.

And yes, we even have Applebees and the like. As I said, a little bit of everything. But the best is definitely the crabs... mmm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies