Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2011, 10:29 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,193,209 times

Advertisements

You must know this to appreciate NYC food:

My trusty hipster guide Zevon made me home-made falafels slathered with babaganoush and Umeboshi paste, and presented me with his artisan cheese platter featuring Zamorano, Epoisse, Fontina val d’Aosta, Adriatic figs, and guava chutney while explaining that while he appreciated my desire to lose weight I would have to do so by adhering to the Hipster Eating Code of which there are twelve principles.

The Hipster Eating Code
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2011, 10:30 PM

3,400 posts, read 8,029,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Totally agree (ex-NY here) and I'll add good Jewish style bagels as well.
Ick. I hate bagels. Give me a biscuit please!
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
Waiter!

Another dish of that Black-eyed Pea Hummus and Arugula Smear please.
THIS makes me a little sick just reading it
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
Don't forget the hot dog carts. Fine dining on the hoof.
^ So do those. I was in NYC in August and I wouldnt TOUCH those things or go anywhere near one of those carts. They smelled awful, had flies buzzing around them, and the occupants of those carts almost ALWAYS looked like someone straight out of prison...How anybody eats from one of those things is beyond me. Blech!

There's just no such thing as undignified food. Food is food, the question is whether or not an individual will eat it. NYC pizza is over rated, I hate bagels period, and fried food is also off my personal menu.

It all depends on the person that eats it.

Old 12-28-2011, 10:30 PM

3,201 posts, read 3,856,992 times
I guess Southern food is basically truck stop food plus grits.

What is specifically southern about Cracker Barrel's food?

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Nope. But the Waffle House doesn't really serve "southern food" as such. Where in America won't you find bacon, sausage, hash browns, waffles, eggs, toast, grilled cheese, or breakfast steak? Hell, i've had that stuff in Montana.

About the only thing that might qualify as southern that they have is grits. And i've had some awful bowls of grits in many-a-Waffle House down south. I've sent it back plenty of times.

Old 12-28-2011, 10:32 PM

11,531 posts, read 10,288,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Not true. New Yorkers have bastardized foods from Europe just like the South does. What's the difference? Hell, what everyone thinks of as original "southern food" is just junk conjured up by slave imaginations. LOL...that's all there is to it.

I understand what you're saying, but still, at the end of the day there isn't a city in the United States with better food than NYC except for MAYBE New Orleans. I'll give the Big Easy some props here. Chicago is a close second or third.
I'll put up Chicago pizza against NY Pizza any day of the week.

Fugetaboutit

Old 12-28-2011, 10:36 PM

3,201 posts, read 3,856,992 times
I gotta go with thin crust. Chicago style has too much going on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post

Fugetaboutit

Old 12-28-2011, 10:38 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,193,209 times
Quote:

Fugetaboutit

Sicilian pizza is gross.....

Old 12-28-2011, 10:40 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,187,535 times
Quote:

Fugetaboutit
Deep dish pizza is too damn bastardized for my taste. That's too much pizza. A man should be able to eat a whole pizza without loosening his belt afterwards. I like'em thin crust, a lot of tomato sauce, a little bit of proscuitto, onions, mushrooms, and a smidgen of cheese.

A Chicago pie is a heart attack waiting to happen. Although i must say once or twice a year, it's a nice decadent thing to eat.

Old 12-28-2011, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Sicilian pizza is gross.....
That's not Sicilian. Pizza in Sicily isn't deep dish. It's nice and thin.

Old 12-28-2011, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joebaldknobber View Post
I guess Southern food is basically truck stop food plus grits.

What is specifically southern about Cracker Barrel's food?
Ehh...nothing really. I don't even know how Cracker Barrel passes itself off as something special. It's just Denny's with bigger portions and without the breakfast.

Old 12-28-2011, 10:47 PM

4,906 posts, read 6,845,992 times
Quote:
Could it be any other newspaper but The New York Times? --no--

NYT: Southern Food is Undignified | FOX News & Commentary: Todd Starnes

Hipsters vs normal people:

In New York City, they eat boiled animal tongues. In the South we use our tongues for licking our fingers.

Southerners eat buttermilk biscuits and sip frosty glasses of sweet tea. New Yorkers nosh bagels and drink seltzer water.

New Yorkers eat fermented soy and tuna tartar – while folks in Tennessee eat fried catfish – with tarter sauce.
NYers eat everything from caviar to catfish with tartar sauce...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies