Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2011, 03:18 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,459,957 times

Advertisements

The ADA does not enforce accommodations for a disabled person if that accommodation is considered to be a "direct threat."

Quote:
(3) Direct threat

The term "direct threat" means a significant risk to the health or safety of others that cannot be eliminated by reasonable accommodation.
Quote:
(b) Qualification standards

The term "qualification standards" may include a requirement that an individual shall not pose a direct threat to the health or safety of other individuals in the workplace.
According to the ADA, someone who poses a direct threat to the health and safety of others is not considered "qualified" (for protection under ADA). Therefore, someone who smokes in the presence of other people would not be considered a "qualified individual", and would therefore not be protected under the ADA, because they are posing a direct threat to the health and safety of others.

The ADA clearly defines discrimination towards qualified individuals as being illegal.

Quote:
Sec. 12132. Discrimination

Subject to the provisions of this subchapter, no qualified individual with a disability shall, by reason of such disability, be excluded from participation in or be denied the benefits of services, programs, or activities of a public entity, or be subjected to discrimination by any such entity.
If someone is not qualified, then they are not protected.

In other words, the ADA not only doesn't protect people's "right" to smoke in other people's faces, but also protects those other people's right not to be bombarded with second-hand smoke.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2011, 03:26 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,459,957 times
I should also add that the ADA legally outlines the right for employers to ban drinking and illegal drug usage in the workplace. Smoking nicotine over the age of 18 is not illegal, however, it should be noted that if the ADA allows employers to ban drinking and illegal drug usage, it's not really far out for individual workplaces to ban smoking too. After all, the general public is not forced to suffer the health effects of someone drinking alcohol near them--and it can be banned--yet they are forced to suffer the health effects of a smoker smoking near them. So the idea of banning smoking is even more reasonable than what is already legally in place under the ADA.

Quote:
(c) Authority of covered entity

A covered entity

(1) may prohibit the illegal use of drugs and the use of alcohol at the workplace by all employees;

(2) may require that employees shall not be under the influence of alcohol or be engaging in the illegal use of drugs at the workplace;

(3) may require that employees behave in conformance with the requirements established under the Drug-Free Workplace Act of 1988 (41 U.S.C. 701 et seq.);
Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990,AS AMENDED with ADA Amendments Act of 2008

Old 12-30-2011, 07:20 PM

3,201 posts, read 3,857,172 times
This post reminds me of the post suggesting Christianity should be outlawed.

What America needs is Josef Stalin. Kill em all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
Should those who suffer from AIDS, alcoholism or any other chronic disease be barred from suffering from their disease in restaurants, bars, hotels, parks and other public places? Can't a public health concerns be used to keep them out from amongst the healthy?

Sounds like a silly question, doesn't it? Who would want government to tell someone with a chronic disease that he's not welcome to eat out, enjoy a movie or go to the park so long as he's exhibiting symptoms of his disease? He can stay home and do his suffering there.

But, it happens every day to those who suffer from another debilitating disease and nobody seems to care too much about it: Tobacco dependence.

The American Medical Association, the World Health Association, the National Institute of Health and the Congress of the United States all consider tobacco dependence to be a chronic disease. It meets the five criteria the AMA uses to consider a condition an actual disease: a pattern of symptoms, chronicity, progression, subject to relapse, and treatability.

Tobacco dependence is a chronic disease that often requires repeated intervention and multiple attempts to quit.

Treatment of Tobacco Dependence - Therapeutic Insights - CME

Tobacco dependence disorder is a chronic relapsing condition….A chronic disease management approach increases both short- and long-term abstinence from smoking.

archinte.ama-assn.org/cgi/content/short/171/21/1894

The World Health Organization (WHO), which recognizes tobacco dependence as a disorder/disease

grants.nih.gov/grants/guide/rfa-files/rfa-da-11-015.html

PUBLIC LAW 111–31—JUNE 22, 2009

FAMILY SMOKING PREVENTION AND TOBACCO CONTROL AND FEDERAL RETIREMENT REFORM

The Congress finds the following:

Sec. 2; (33) Tobacco dependence is a chronic disease, one that typically requires repeated interventions to achieve long-term or permanent abstinence.

FDsys - Error Detected

Yet, in spite of this, chronic tobacco users are routinely banned from mingling with non-users by law, something which would never happen to those with a different disease.

Does this change the dynamics of the smoking debate? Is it now a civil rights issue relating to those who suffer from chronic diseases? Why, or why not?

Old 12-30-2011, 08:16 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,250,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
Define drug and addiction then. According to our government, drug addiction is a disease. Nicotine is a drug.
I am not the one who is hung up on whether nicotine addiction is a "disease" or a "condition". The OP is.

No matter what you call it, nicotine addiction in and of itself is not a disability.

Some "diseases" caused by smoking, such as emphysema, can produce disability.

Old 12-30-2011, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Yeah? And? Aren't I still saying that?

Did you read my very first post in this thread and look at the links I provided?

Yep.

Old 12-30-2011, 08:24 PM

1,138 posts, read 3,345,812 times
Should sufferer's of chronic disease be barred from public places?
Skillkit, I sincerely hope you have rethought this intolerance for the ill. You never know when you your self will be chronically ill from what you were exposed to in your lifetime at no fault or control of your own.

Old 12-30-2011, 08:30 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,526,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary54mi View Post
Should sufferer's of chronic disease be barred from public places?
Skillkit, I sincerely hope you have rethought this intolerance for the ill. You never know when you your self will be chronically ill from what you were exposed to in your lifetime at no fault or control of your own.
I'm not suggesting they should be. The thread is actually about tobacco dependence as a chronic disease and how it being a disease might affect the smoking debate. So far, most everyone believes it won't to any great degree (I disagree) and there are some who just flat refuse to accept the idea at all because it hasn't been called a disease by their favorite group...yet.

I'll admit I didn't do a very good job of titling the thread, though. I'm never very good at that. And, I sort of had it in the back of my mind to let a conversation develop along those lines, then throw in tobacco dependence disease later, as a sort of "gotcha," but decided that would be dishonest.

So...it is what it is.

Old 12-30-2011, 08:34 PM

6,721 posts, read 5,200,962 times
You are missing a basic point, NOBODY is obligated to hire ANYONE. It is the employers choice completely. If they hire a monkey over a smoker that up to them.
Quote:
I'm not suggesting that a company should hire smokers and let them smoke on the job (however, if they wanted to, I see no reason why they couldn't, do you?). That's not what companies are doing. They are refusing to hire people simply because they smoke, regardless of whether or no smoking is allowed in the workplace.

Yes, some chronic diseases are not good for some certain occupations. As you say, a person with Palsy probably wouldn't make a good brain surgeon. But, I dare say a hospital would be opening themselves to a law suit if they refused to hire an otherwise qualified candidate with Palsy, don't you? If the candidate had a medical degree and the demonstrated ability to do the job, in spite of his disease, then refusing to hire him because he has Palsy would be risky. That would seem to be a clear case of discrimination.

However, when it comes to those with chronic tobacco disease, otherwise capable and qualified candidates CAN be refused employment for no other reason than that they have nicotine, a perfectly legal substance, in their blood.

You tell me....why is it unfair to refuse to hire the qualified sufferer of Palsy, but OK to refuse the hire the one with chronic tobacco disease?

Old 12-30-2011, 08:39 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,526,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzards27 View Post
You are missing a basic point, NOBODY is obligated to hire ANYONE. It is the employers choice completely. If they hire a monkey over a smoker that up to them.
So, let's say you're a diabetic. You apply for a job for which you are well qualified. You have the experience and the education to do the job. Your diabetes is not, and will not, be a factor in your job performance.

But, you're turned down because you are a diabetic. That's the only reason you didn't get the job.

You'd be OK with that?

Old 12-30-2011, 11:30 PM

Quote:
So, let's say you're a diabetic. You apply for a job for which you are well qualified. You have the experience and the education to do the job. Your diabetes is not, and will not, be a factor in your job performance.

But, you're turned down because you are a diabetic. That's the only reason you didn't get the job.

You'd be OK with that?
Since the employer cannot ask questions about medical history during a pre-employment interview, the scenario you are describing would not exist unless the potential employee volunteered the information.

Legal Hiring Considerations

Doing what you describe would be grounds for a claim for discrimination under the ADA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies