Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2011, 12:49 PM

2,526 posts, read 3,004,783 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
S

My belief is that a woman who has to bare her breasts in public for any reason has an "issue".

No problem with women who stay covered and breast feed discreetly...
I think that is quite sensible, although I am not sure that baring breasts, per se, has something to do with mental issues. Having to bare your breasts at the mall? Perhaps. Baring your breasts at the beach? Not so much.

Frankly, I have no idea what public nudity has to do with breast feeding! Please explain.

I do think your first sentence will likely get you into a number of arguments on here if it's taken out of the context of your second sentence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2011, 12:54 PM

8,732 posts, read 6,782,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyndsong71 View Post
No, it's natural like as in, when you or I eat in public. There are some poeple who should never eat around others, with their mouths open and spewing food in every direction... but do you think we should force everyone to eat in private just because a few people are rude?

THANK GOD we don't live in an Arab country where there's more oppression towards women than just not being allowed to breast feed in public!! Sheesh! Damn straight I'm arrogant about breastfeeding.... I make milk, what's YOUR super power?!
A bit thick I see. It's not oppression, it's about discretion.

Cows, camels and goats also make milk as well.

Old 12-30-2011, 12:58 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,934,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Are we talking DISCRETE breast feeding, or "I can flip out my boob in public, and you can't stop me"?

I'm in favor of 1, and against 2.
Pretty much sums it up for me as well. This is why there are breast pumps. If you have to be out and about with your un-weaned child all day take some you've already pumped or pump in private and use a bottle while in public.

Old 12-30-2011, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
You are entitled to your opinions. You are NOT entitled to your own facts.

Breastfeeding and the Use of Human Milk -- Work Group on Breastfeeding 100 (6): 1035 -- AAP Policy

Newborns should be nursed whenever they show signs of hunger, such as increased alertness or activity, mouthing, or rooting.85 Crying is a late indicator of hunger.86 Newborns should be nursed approximately 8 to 12 times every 24 hours until satiety, usually 10 to 15 minutes on each breast.87,88

Note the number of feedings can vary by 50%, as well as feeding time.

Eating is not the equivalent of peeing and pooping.
Eating is a natural function, as well as many other functions of the human body.

Old 12-30-2011, 01:02 PM

3,484 posts, read 2,871,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Pretty much sums it up for me as well. This is why there are breast pumps. If you have to be out and about with your un-weaned child all day take some you've already pumped or pump in private and use a bottle while in public.
Some babies won't take a bottle. Is the woman supposed to let her baby starve so as not to offend your delicate little eyes?

Really people. Go get offended at something truly annoying not at the sight of a woman using her breasts as nature intended.

Old 12-30-2011, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
they also stone women to death for getting raped in certain Arab countries, not exactly the kind of model for society that we ought to follow
Who is talking about following a society? I'm talking about modesty and discretion regarding breastfeeding. I don't live in Iran, Afghanistan or Pakistan. I live in a very open Arab country that does not oppress women, but does quite the opposite and encourages them to succeed, especially in higher education and politics.

Old 12-30-2011, 01:07 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,934,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanora1 View Post
Some babies won't take a bottle. Is the woman supposed to let her baby starve so as not to offend your delicate little eyes?

Really people. Go get offended at something truly annoying not at the sight of a woman using her breasts as nature intended.
No, she should not let her baby starve, she should put its needs above her own and either choose a discrete location or stay at home!

The further down our society goes the further it disassociates itself from manners in public.

All kinds of things are as "nature intended them". That doesn't mean they should be done in public. Manners are for the consideration of others. Your response to me says that manners are not necessary as long as something is as "nature intended". IMO, those failing to practice manners are the selfish ones, not those expecting manners to be used.

Old 12-30-2011, 01:09 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,388,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
You have familiarized yourself with the breastfeeding schedules of every woman in your town? Are you a voyeur? You would NOT necessarily know if someone was breastfeeding at "random locations". You can look up pictures of infants breastfeeding on the web; in many cases it's hard to tell what is going on. To get graphic, the babies mouth covers the nipple, his/her head covers the lower breast, the most that's exposed is the upper breast, which, as I said, you might see on someone wearing a bikini! The mom can usually pull her shirt down over the upper breast as well.

Your arrognace at childrearing is incredible, just incredible.
Knowing when someone's feeding an infant with their breast is arrogant? U.p.pull... Covering something up does not mean sufficiently hiding it (Now, watch someone pop up and say, "You shouldn't HAVE to hide it!") Try and focus, ok? No, no woman has breastfed in public around me. Yes, OF COURSE I'd notice. You'd be blind not to eventually notice a woman holding a baby still in that position while the baby's awake. Hell, from a parent's perspective alone, you can't do that UNLESS you're feeding him/her.

Btw, it might shock you to find out that exposing the upper breast is enough for people (especially guys) to look. And that's not just perverted guys, that's guys in general.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vamos View Post
To which some people would say: Why would you? What's so disgusting or disturbing about an infant eating?... The natural acts that we relegate to such places tend to be "dirty" - such as peeing or pooping. Why is breastfeeding an equivalent of these bodily functions?
Nothing is disgusting or disturbing about an infant eating, at least not in my opinion. But people who compare breastfeeding with these other bodily functions are only countering the "It's natural" argument. This point, which I am not associated with at all, is never to be taken out of context.

As for why a parent might avoid breastfeeding in public (other than to be "polite", always subjective of course), it may prove to be MORE practical. After all, if you manage your time properly, you can eat or do your shopping without interruption and feed your child where you are most comfortable doing so. There's also a theory on bonding, that breastfeeding where it can be more intimate and free from distraction, is somehow better; but I don't exaggerate the need for this (or anything) purely for "bonding"'s sake.

Old 12-30-2011, 01:10 PM

1,187 posts, read 995,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by softblueyz View Post
A bit thick I see. It's not oppression, it's about discretion.

Cows, camels and goats also make milk as well.
And I'll bet you there are more women in those arab countries that do breast feed in public underneath those burkas (sp?). But it is opressive to try to tell me and any other woman that she can't nurture and feed her child whever she needs to. Discretion doesn't mean hidden. You can be very discreet while breastfeeding... however, what difference does it really make if you do happen to OMG see her breast in between the baby starting or stopping feeding? More often than not, if the breast IS exposed it's for a half a second.. she's not taking all her clothes off to feed the baby, she's not taking her shirt off.. generally all that's happening is a small opening in the shirt is opening up to allow the child to latch on... so maybe if you're really attentive you might see a little flesh, probably less than Ms. Jackson's wardrobe malfunction (which I didn't see what the big tado about that was either).

Wow, you know animal science too.. you're amazing! LOL! You say that like this is supposed to make breastfeeding less of a wonder, when really it doesn't. Breastfeeding is an amazing gift that mother nature gave to females, it goes hand in hand with our ability to bring life into this world. It's a miracle and an amazing feat no matter which animal species does it!

Old 12-30-2011, 01:16 PM

10,942 posts, read 10,254,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Why???? Why should a mother have to deal with pumping, bottles, keeping the milk at a safe temperature while out and about, and then having to deal with finding a place to warm it to the right temperature for the baby to take because there are still a few people like yourself in this world who are hung up about a woman discreetly nursing her infant in public?

I never pumped (I did try to express by hand a few times but never got it quite figured out), my babies never had bottles, and I was always happy that I could provide them what they needed, when they needed it, safely, and at the perfect temperature.

Sheesh........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies