Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2011, 01:54 PM

25,783 posts, read 16,415,685 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinebar View Post
And....I have a simple solution for all of you who are "offended" by the sight of a mother nursing her baby. It's so simple, it's ridiculous:

DON'T LOOK!!!!!
No kidding. I mean seriously it's JUST A BOOB. It's not held up with the wonderbra and partially spilling out in a seductive manner.

It's OUT THERE IN THE OPEN. We all know what they look like.

It's the most natural thing in the world. I've seen women feeding their children many times, I don't think about it and I don't look. I recognize it well enough to know what it is before I really look, so I don't look.

It's not that difficult.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2011, 01:55 PM

2,526 posts, read 2,998,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
No prob, vamos. And thank you for not gettin antagonistic

You're saying your child would feed until full, and then be hungry a half hour afterwards? How often did this happen (please be honest)? And I "seem to think" babies are FAIRLY predictable for the same reason you seem to think they're not predictable at all, from experience. My kid wasn't some rare species like a few have suggested here. He's just an ordinary human child.

Well, people need to stop guessing. It's nothing but a hindrance. My son's 16 months old and very healthy. Not once did we have to feed him in a store or restaurant. I think we've fed him in the car a handful of times, but not many.

I never had to choose between my principles and feeding my son, because my principles never got in the way. Just my opinion from experience raising an alien baby
Well, I don't think there is any reason to be antagonistic about this. People simply have different experiences and perspectives. Often, they also have different definitions of the same thing. Breastfeeding can mean many different things to different people: From discreetly sitting in a corner to, apparently, taking center stage at the mall and running around with bare breasts.

If you haven't had any problematic situations in 16 months, than I can only surmise that you live a much different life than we do or that you simply got lucky. We are out and about more than we are at home and these situations have arisen more than once. Still, my wife certainly didn't go "all out" on a bench in the mall's main thoroughfare, but rather, she found a quiet corner so that baby could eat without interruption - in peace and quiet.

You see, I don't think your are arguing for anything unreasonable. I am simply saying that not everyone has the same experiences or lives that you do. To this day, my daughter is a fussy eater - it's never been different. As an infant, she refused to take a bottle. My wife was unable to use a breast pump due to surgery so, even if she had taken a bottle, it would have been pointless.

And there you have it.

Old 12-30-2011, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
I would love to live in a society that considers a mother breastfeeding her child to be a thing of beauty. Not something to be gaped at or mocked. Something to be respected with the highest sincerity.

This society is so stupid.

I can't believe this is even an issue.
You're not alone...

Old 12-30-2011, 02:00 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,833,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanora1 View Post
You should keep your eyes where they belong. Bingo! Problem solved. There's nothing ill mannered about breastfeeding in public. I am sorry you feel otherwise. Why should I have to be forced to stay home or use pain in the neck bottles because you're uncomfortable with normal human behavior?

Thank you for making a perfect illustration of people today having no concept of manners, their purpose, or how to use them.

I am a woman with breasts of my own. I have no problem with keeping my eyes where they belong. My problem is with women not having the manners to be discrete or use manners when nursing (and so many other things).

Again, just because something is "normal human behavior" does not mean it belongs in the public venue. There was a time when women were actually ladies and understood such. It is plain you do not. We'll have to agree to disagree on this one.

Old 12-30-2011, 02:00 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,099,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinebar View Post
And....I have a simple solution for all of you who are "offended" by the sight of a mother nursing her baby. It's so simple, it's ridiculous:

DON'T LOOK!!!!!
So if a couple is humping in the aisle of Walmart you feel that's quite alright and people should just avert their eyes and not be so sensitive....

That's a weird way to think.....

Old 12-30-2011, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
So if a couple is humping in the aisle of Walmart you feel that's quite alright and people should just avert their eyes and not be so sensitive....

I have a feeling that equating "humping in the aisle of Walmart" and 'breastfeeding a child' is a rather weird way to think...

Just sayin'...

Then again, wasn't it you who thought breastfeeding was on par with peeing and pooping?

Old 12-30-2011, 02:02 PM

25,783 posts, read 16,415,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post

As weird as comparing humping to breastfeeding a child? Hmmm...

Edit--great minds think alike vamos...

Old 12-30-2011, 02:04 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,099,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post

See above about "baring breasts". It's hard to do when breastfeeding, even if you try to!
I have posted that my sister breast fed her baby in a restaurant and I wasn't even aware she did....SHE, being quite intelligent, NEVER bared her breast...

Old 12-30-2011, 02:04 PM

3,484 posts, read 2,864,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Thank you for making a perfect illustration of people today having no concept of manners, their purpose, or how to use them.

I am a woman with breasts of my own. I have no problem with keeping my eyes where they belong. My problem is with women not having the manners to be discrete or use manners when nursing (and so many other things).

Again, just because something is "normal human behavior" does not mean it belongs in the public venue. There was a time when women were actually ladies and understood such. It is plain you do not. We'll have to agree to disagree on this one.
Have you ever nursed a baby?

I have news for you: nearly all nursing women would much prefer to reveal as little as possible. The problem is that it's not that simple. I nursed my daughter on the bus yesterday. She tugged at my breasts, pulled off the blanket and made it really difficult to pull that off. But it was either dump the boob in her mouth or let her howl as feeding her solids would have been nearly impossible on a moving bus. I assure you that most nursing women face similar problems.

If that's your definition of bad manners you really need to rethink your idea of civilized behavior.

Old 12-30-2011, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
As weird as comparing humping to breastfeeding a child? Hmmm...

Edit--great minds think alike vamos...
You give me too much credit: I am BLOND, after all!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies