Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Empathy: Strength or Weakness?
Strength 123 83.67%
Weakness 24 16.33%
Voters: 147. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2014, 04:35 PM

18,126 posts, read 15,517,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Funny how the people that talk about "generosity" as if it's some kind of disease probably aren't in any position to be generous anyway.

That said, empathy is strength. I practice it as much as i can.
Indeed, I agree. When you've been there done that, for me anyway, its impossible not to have empathy., sympathy and compassion. It is as equally easy, to spot the fakes, who are fishing for those things, and feel contempt and disgust. Those who put on airs of these qualities , also stand out, and are no better than the aforementioned fake fishers.
Since empathy is considered such an admirable quality, it is often faked, by people who have never experienced what they claim to empathize with, and are predatory reptiles at heart. Name most any politician, and you will have an example of this.
Empathy, sympathy and compassion do not often go with politics, because politics and big money go together. Wealth and privilege are not generally gained by being a good human being. This is left to folks like you and I, who don't have the power and wealth to really make a difference in peoples lives. We. , who if we did have that capacity. would actually do so. Instead, that capacity is with people who would see many actually beaten and downtrodden people die behind dumpsters if it means the next million rolls in, but loudly proclaim themselves as "empathetic" because they write off contributions on their taxes.
True empathy, power and wealth, are rarely seen truly together.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2014, 04:40 PM

41,111 posts, read 25,571,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
Could the attitude you see be because the ~sniffle~ poor, downtrodden, weak and less fortunate have been taking advantage of people's generosity?

Yathink?
^^^^

The hard working middle class who worked hard and took on debt to improved their skills and now work hard to pay for the less fortunate who are taking advantage of their generosity. Should they have sympathy?

Do the "less fortunate" who find it too hard to get an ID have any sympathy for them as they are away from their families working hard to support themselves and to support the lazy. Of course they don't.

The "less fortunate" refuse to understand that the money they get is taken from hard working people to give to them. The "less fortunate" could care less and you want people to have sympathy and empathy for them?

Last edited by petch751; 05-17-2014 at 04:55 PM..

Old 05-17-2014, 04:48 PM

Then I have no sympathy for the girl who when asked why she voted for Obama she replied "I don't know, I just like him" or the other girl who replied "because he's cute".

How in the hell can anyone have empathy for such stupidity.

Old 05-17-2014, 04:54 PM

I did lose sympathy or empathy for people who "cheered" and defended Obama as he lied over and over again.. as he said

"Obamacare will reduce healthcare insurance by 3000%"
"If you like your healthcare you can keep your healthcare"
"I guess the jobs weren't so shovel ready"
"al-quaeda is on the run"
"I'll get to the bottom of it"
"tax the rich, people making $200k, those millionaires and billionaires"
"you didn't build that"
"reject those voices"
"because of the video"
"I'm outraged.. I'll get to the bottom of this"

"not one smidgen of corruption"

Old 05-18-2014, 01:18 PM

46,757 posts, read 25,681,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunlover View Post
Why is Social Darwinism a bad thing?
Because of the suffering among those selected against.

Quote:
More over leftist as well as the Democratic party pride themselves as being the "party of science"(never mind the culture of AGW, Importation of poverty, ect ect ect) but reject Social Darwinism, which in part means you reject evolution as a whole...
Yeah, see, here's the problem.

The ToE describes a biological phenomenon a found in nature, and provides an explanation for diversity in species. It carries with it no value statements - it is simply a description of what is.

Social Darwinism, on the other hand, is a thought system that insists that nature's way of selecting for reproduction should carry over into human interaction. It is, of course, very comforting for those on top - of for those who think they may one day get there - to think that it is a natural arrangement. (The common mugger of course thinks it's natural that he should have your wallet as well, and for much the same reasons.)

The fallacy is obvious: Society is a human construct, not a natural one.

Quote:
Contradiction much?
Not even a little bit.

Old 05-18-2014, 07:16 PM

1,264 posts, read 1,543,724 times
Clearly, If everyone had empathy, nobody would think about cutting food-stamps, or calling the desperate people who use them "lazy takers" who unmotivate us hard working people.

Old 05-18-2014, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pantin23 View Post
Clearly, If everyone had empathy, nobody would think about cutting food-stamps, or calling the desperate people who use them "lazy takers" who unmotivate us hard working people.
You don't hear appreciation from people on welfare, but you do hear them screaming for more. Even good hearted people don't like to be abused.

Old 05-18-2014, 07:24 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,139,168 times
The poll needs a third answer. Both. It depends on how much empathy controls your decision making. Empathy is a virtue no question about it. You show me someone who can feel no empathy and I'll show you a social path.
Conversely there are those with an over developed sense of empathy who let themselves be used and abused.

Old 05-18-2014, 07:27 PM

1,264 posts, read 1,543,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
You don't hear appreciation from people on welfare, but you do hear them screaming for more. Even good hearted people don't like to be abused.
I'm sure that's exactly what every single one of them does, and yes I bet many do thank the govt for help (way to make broad generalizations). Also, I've heard much more whining from the Teabaggers than from people on welfare. Also, if I were desperate, and on some form of govt assistance about to be cut, I would be worried, and FYI, that's a bit different from being "Lazy".

Old 05-18-2014, 07:27 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,139,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pantin23 View Post
If there weren't lazy takers, lazy slackers who abused the system very few would have an issue with the food stamps program. Drive by low income housing and take note of the late model vehicles, boats, ATV's and sport bikes and tell something isn't wrong with that picture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies