Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2011, 04:40 PM

12,867 posts, read 14,911,536 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SyraBrian View Post
Aren't we getting off-topic here? I thought this thread was about California having thirty-three percent of the welfare recipients, not a cattle call of every conservative grievance.
i already said that i tend to veer off topic, but a lot of topics are actually interconnected.

what's bad for california is also a drain on the country itself.

here's the california economy world ranking:

According to U.S. Department of Commerce estimates, California’s GDP (gross domestic product) was $1.89 trillion. And that puts California as the world’s eighth largest economy in 2009.

Since the 1970s, California has ranked as the 7th biggest world economy, although for a couple of years in 1984 and 1985, California was the 5th largest economy in the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2011, 05:33 PM

943 posts, read 782,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Um, what? Of course it does. It has the largest population in the USA, so statistically (unless it has a 0% unemployment rate), there will be more, in number, of Californians on welfare than any other state (assuming uniformity).
Californians make up 12.5%(1/8) of US population.

Old 12-30-2011, 07:00 PM

1,702 posts, read 1,919,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
i already said that i tend to veer off topic, but a lot of topics are actually interconnected.

what's bad for california is also a drain on the country itself.

here's the california economy world ranking:

According to U.S. Department of Commerce estimates, California’s GDP (gross domestic product) was $1.89 trillion. And that puts California as the world’s eighth largest economy in 2009.

Since the 1970s, California has ranked as the 7th biggest world economy, although for a couple of years in 1984 and 1985, California was the 5th largest economy in the world.
We had a rash of people here in San Diego really score on DROP retirement plans too. Pretty insane the packages some of our civil servants retired with. I think they have probably ruined it for everyone as far as civil service retirement plans go.

Old 12-30-2011, 08:06 PM

3,875 posts, read 3,870,374 times
Well in Greater L.A. county they are trying to combat welfare fraud. Past articles in th L.A. Times have numerous accussations of racism from the Black and Latino community being raised.
Welfare fraud sweep nets 15 arrests
Discrimination Suit Filed Against Lancaster, Palmdale « CBS Los Angeles

Old 12-31-2011, 03:35 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,911,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antarez View Post
Well in Greater L.A. county they are trying to combat welfare fraud. Past articles in th L.A. Times have numerous accussations of racism from the Black and Latino community being raised.
Welfare fraud sweep nets 15 arrests
Discrimination Suit Filed Against Lancaster, Palmdale « CBS Los Angeles
what they ought to be doing is starting at the top for fraud, like the DROP cases, which are seriously depleting state coffers.

go after the bigger fraud first but, then again, they aren't going to prosecute themselves, are they?

especially when they change the rules to favor themselves, as this:

California Ethics Agency Relaxes Rules On Bribes To Polticians | Los Angeles Politics.net (http://losangelespolitics.net/california-ethics-agency-relaxes-rules-on-bribes-to-polticians.html - broken link)

related posts:
1.Corruption Abounds In Los Angeles With Villaraigosa In The Middle Of It All
2.The Truth About The Medical Marijuana Crackdown In California
3.Los Angeles County Sheriff Lee Baca has raked in $120,000 in gifts since becoming sheriff
4.It’s The EXISTING Public Emloyee Pensions That Are Burdening Our System
5.Democratic Majority State Assembly Is Corrupt And Useless

don't think i am just picking on california, because this is happening all over this country.

Old 12-31-2011, 09:47 AM

2 posts, read 4,590 times
But what type of assistance and how much do you actually recieve in CA?

Old 01-19-2013, 12:01 PM

13 posts, read 21,886 times
Another reason Cali is a big-time welfare haven is because when so-called refugees come into the country who either aren't able or willing to work, they are eligible for welfare, and have been educated in advance regarding which states have the highest payout/benefit package for families, especially families with many children. In spite of near-yearly cuts, California continues to have one of the highest payouts and the biggest benefit package for large families. I am not against welfare for refugees, but I do think part of that big budget would be better spent on education, especially mandatory ESL education for those who are unable to work due to their language barrier. There are many people who would be more productive, if they could comprehend the language well enough to apply to, interview for, and work at a job.

Old 01-19-2013, 12:12 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,414,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h0tmess View Post
This is why I truly, truly, truly believe that all programs need to be left up to the states. If California wants to be a state that just throws money around and to everyone regardless of how much money they steal from people.. then that's great!

But the federal government shouldn't be giving money to the states, at all.

CA probably is so high up there with the welfare nonsense because of all of the illegals living there. Once again, I say.. that's fine. Allow the states to do whatever. But we should never bail them out. What will they learn??? Nothing.
What a comical post. California crushes all the red states in the amount of money it sends to the government vs what it gets back. Most red states are the real welfare queens.

Last edited by RaymondChandlerLives; 01-19-2013 at 01:23 PM..

Old 01-19-2013, 12:18 PM

2,468 posts, read 1,918,778 times
Texas is the real welfare queen. It uses federal funds to balance its budget.

Old 01-19-2013, 12:38 PM

7,242 posts, read 7,905,875 times
Republicans once again prove they're bad at math. California is NOT the top welfare state, not by a long shot, just look at this map of welfare recipients as a percentage of the total population:

You'll notice that generally the more red the state is the higher its welfare rate while the south in general is pretty much the worst of the worst when it comes to welfare rates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies