Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Liberals - Would you ban Christianity in America if you had the means to do it?
Yes 16 14.81%
No 92 85.19%
Voters: 108. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2011, 02:18 PM

2,472 posts, read 3,198,524 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleMan View Post
Since both of you are anti-religion in the first place, why do you even care what Jesus said or believed?
Anti-religion has nothing to do with Jesus. Jesus was just a human with some good ideas. It doesn't matter if a social construct was built around him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2011, 02:32 PM

2,010 posts, read 2,372,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
I'm no Buddhist, but I can admire the many traits within Buddhism.
I'm no Muslim, but I can admire many traits and denounce others.
I'm no Hindu, but I can do the same.
I'm no admirer of Hitler, but I use his quotes often to bring home the point.
I'm no admirer of Karl Marx, but don't see why I couldn't use his quotes.

So, why can't atheists or people of other religion outside of Islam and Christianity, and Jews, use Jesus' quote to argue against the same folks who claim to be Christians but couldn't be farther from what Jesus was about?
They can admire positive traits of others, or even question why many don't even live by the teachings of their own religions. I'm not disputing that. All I'm questioning is the hypocrisy of mocking religion or quotes by Jesus, then turning around and quoting him to make a point.

Old 12-30-2011, 02:35 PM

2,010 posts, read 2,372,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganusn View Post
Anti-religion has nothing to do with Jesus. Jesus was just a human with some good ideas. It doesn't matter if a social construct was built around him.
But many believe that Jesus is a "made up fairy tale". To not think he's the son of God is one thing, but to deny that he even existed, even only as regular person who was a great teacher is just silly to me.

Old 12-30-2011, 02:56 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,481,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Now I see one who thinks like the Soviet leader who said that "Religion is the opiate of the people". Would establishment of Communism be easier if Christianity were outlawed? The Soviets tried it and had to give in and allow them to go on in order to stay in power.
Karl Marx made that observation of religion, not a Soviet leader.

Communism fell in the Soviet world not because of religion but because their economic system was, in the immortal words of Ed Koch, "the pits"--and couldn't even produce enough toilet paper for the population (unless you count the ruble.)

Old 12-30-2011, 03:11 PM

3,493 posts, read 4,554,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
First of all I want to say every generation has had a different standard for what constitutes separation of church and state, a principle that has existed since the founding of this country and is necessary for a free society. However, I see liberals using the principle more and more to silence Christianity wherever it shows its head in the public square.

The far-left usually blames Christians for most of America's problems, be it gay rights, abortion, the environment, or scientific ignorance. They generally lump all Christians in with the likes of the Westboro Baptist Church and discredit anyone who believes as an ignorant, bronze age fool. There is a deep hatred for the Southern states and that hatred is rooted in despite for the large number of people in this South who still practice Christianity. The Republican and Democratic divide in this nation is LARGELY centered around Christianity and its place in politics with Republicans generally being for a greater role of faith and tradition and Democrats wanting to throw it out. 50 years ago, in the time of John F. Kennedy, this was not the case. I've heard numerous liberals on this board say this country would be so much better off if Christianity didn't exist, and they praise Europe which is now mostly post-Christian.

So here is a hypothetical...if you had complete power and the ability to do so, would you ban Christianity in America? Nevermind the Constitution, would the banning of Christianity make America a better place and would you go as far as to amend the Constitution to do it?

If YES - What would the punishment be for practicing it?

If NO - How far should separation of church and state be enforced?
Not at all. I would not push for ammending the Constitution also. To me it is not different than trying to ban alcohol drinking. We know what happened with that experiment.
As far as separation of church and state, I believe what the Constitution, the CONGRESS does not have the right to establish religion. The States are the ones to decide what to to with the subject. However, I am a realist and through the years the Supreme Court and Congress have taken more and more power that originally belonged to the states. With that in mind all I can say is that I do not accept imposing a government mandated religion. To have prayer in a public place to me is not mandating religion on anyone as far as I am concerned. Take care.

Old 12-30-2011, 04:23 PM

5,944 posts, read 5,584,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganusn View Post
Hmmm, I guess one could say that, but a stamp isn't an idea or thought.
It's an analogy.

Old 12-30-2011, 04:27 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,408,066 times
The Amish are perhaps among the most conservative Christian sects in America, yet you find no "liberal" complaining about them.

Why? They don't try to impose their religion on everyone else (i.e., restrict everyone else's rights and freedoms) based on their religion.

No referendums to outlaw electricity. No laws dictating their special moral code. They walk their own walk, with no need to make others just like them, like some borg or hive mind that typifies too many "American Christians."

Old 12-30-2011, 04:29 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,776,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleMan View Post
Since both of you are anti-religion in the first place, why do you even care what Jesus said or believed?
I'm a Messianic Jew. I'm anti-extremist religion.

Care to amend your statement?

Old 12-30-2011, 04:31 PM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,112,238 times
I only interjected myself in this discussion because I feel it is important that those not of the faith understand that there is a tremendous difference between the teaching of Christ and that of the "prosperity gospel" that seems to have become confused with true Christianity in the past 20 years. I will not argue with people about my Lord because I can not convince anyone without the Spirit's leading and I would not dishonor the Prince of Peace by using Him as a weapon in the culture wars some seem to want to fight. Each person must make their own decision for or against Christ. For me, I am at peace with the joy of knowing that my Redeemer lives.

Old 12-30-2011, 04:31 PM

46,961 posts, read 25,998,208 times
Of course not.

Strawman OPs, on the other hand, would be punished harshly and firmly under the coming Lex Dane_in_LAicum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies