Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Liberals - Would you ban Christianity in America if you had the means to do it?
Yes 16 14.81%
No 92 85.19%
Voters: 108. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2011, 09:55 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,806,382 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
There are a lot of people, of different political stripes, beating drums to toss Christianity on the fire. Terms such as "Christian Taliban" et al get used with more frequency and the idea that Christians desire to force people to Faith via the government becomes a talking point with the anti Christian section. Its not really a liberal/ conservative thing ...more of a singular group of people...who are not really organized as a "movement" so much as making a little noise here and there. When we here about a display of the Commandments at a court house having to be moved or a Nativity scene at a mall etc that caused a stir ....it usually boils down to one or two people making a lot of noise. I don't really see that as a liberal plot.
I'm pretty sure that the Islamic Taliban also plays the victim card in Pakistan and Afghanistan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2011, 09:55 AM

4,416 posts, read 9,135,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LML View Post
I am a liberal. But I am also a born again Christian for whom Christ is the center of my life.

I am a liberal because I follow the teachings of my Lord to feed the hungry, clothe those in need of clothing, visit those sick or in prison, fight for justice for the poor, love my neighbor as myself, forgive others as Christ has forgiven me, not devote myself to the piling up treasures on earth but rather to preparing myself for the treasures of heaven, and treat others as I would want to be treated.

For some reason, if a person actually really tries to follow the teaching of Christ, they are called a liberal.
true Christians are liberals!

Old 12-30-2011, 09:57 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,179,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
First of all I want to say every generation has had a different standard for what constitutes separation of church and state, a principle that has existed since the founding of this country and is necessary for a free society. However, I see liberals using the principle more and more to silence Christianity wherever it shows its head in the public square.

The far-left usually blames Christians for most of America's problems, be it gay rights, abortion, the environment, or scientific ignorance. They generally lump all Christians in with the likes of the Westboro Baptist Church and discredit anyone who believes as an ignorant, bronze age fool. There is a deep hatred for the Southern states and that hatred is rooted in despite for the large number of people in this South who still practice Christianity. The Republican and Democratic divide in this nation is LARGELY centered around Christianity and its place in politics with Republicans generally being for a greater role of faith and tradition and Democrats wanting to throw it out. 50 years ago, in the time of John F. Kennedy, this was not the case. I've heard numerous liberals on this board say this country would be so much better off if Christianity didn't exist, and they praise Europe which is now mostly post-Christian.

So here is a hypothetical...if you had complete power and the ability to do so, would you ban Christianity in America? Nevermind the Constitution, would the banning of Christianity make America a better place and would you go as far as to amend the Constitution to do it?

If YES - What would the punishment be for practicing it?

If NO - How far should separation of church and state be enforced?
If the overwhelming majority of the population are Christians, who the hell else are you supposed to blame for the nations' problems? Muslims? Let's not be silly here.

Would i ban Christianity? No. I'm not a Taliban member. Do i wish there was no such thing as religion and would i make sure that it never existed if i had the chance to do so? You're damn right i would.

Old 12-30-2011, 09:57 AM

14,917 posts, read 13,095,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
It's a "marxist agenda" to want freedom, and not big government like the religious right wants over people's lives?
Actually, that does sound pretty Marxist.

Old 12-30-2011, 10:15 AM

18,158 posts, read 15,616,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strel View Post
It's a natural and expected reaction to proselytization. Society is "free" enough these days that people feel like they can speak their mind about religion without fear of a Salem with trial and subsequent hanging.

Pushy Christians get pushed back.

What is wrong with that?
Huh? I see nothing in my post that I correlates with your response. Pushy Christians getting pushed back and that's peachy ....yea ..ok. I am proudly and unabashedly a Christian ...but I don't heap preachy speech on folks. Neither do the vast majority of true Christians. We understand that coming to Christ is not something that can be forced on anyone. The very idea goes against what Christ taught.
Its become "uncool" in modern America to be a Christian. To be part of the "in" group it is required to view Christians anathema to what modern America is. Ok...so be it. But we Christians do not have an agenda to push on anyone regarding Faith. You have to come to that on your own. The "pushy" types are not true Christians. They presume to act on Gods behalf...as if He needs help. That's NOT what being a Christian is.

Old 12-30-2011, 10:16 AM

1,329 posts, read 831,588 times
Quote:
. There is a deep hatred for the Southern states and that hatred is rooted in despite for the large number of people in this South who still practice Christianity.
The South is loaded with "cultural Christians", not followers of Jesus Christ. Lots of religion but it doesn't do alot of good except keep people ignorant and docile.

Quote:
The Republican and Democratic divide in this nation is LARGELY centered around Christianity and its place in politics with Republicans generally being for a greater role of faith and tradition and Democrats wanting to throw it out
This isn't true. Just because one isn't a conservative evangelical bible-church rube or holy-roller baptist, doesn't mean one can't be a Christian. WHO do you think you are, what authority have you, to define what true Christianity is?

Old 12-30-2011, 10:23 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,521,957 times
Question Liberals - would you ban Christianity if you had the means to do it?

Quote:
First of all I want to say every generation has had a different standard for what constitutes separation of church and state, a principle that has existed since the founding of this country and is necessary for a free society. However, I see liberals using the principle more and more to silence Christianity wherever it shows its head in the public square.

The far-left usually blames Christians for most of America's problems, be it gay rights, abortion, the environment, or scientific ignorance. They generally lump all Christians in with the likes of the Westboro Baptist Church and discredit anyone who believes as an ignorant, bronze age fool. There is a deep hatred for the Southern states and that hatred is rooted in despite for the large number of people in this South who still practice Christianity. The Republican and Democratic divide in this nation is LARGELY centered around Christianity and its place in politics with Republicans generally being for a greater role of faith and tradition and Democrats wanting to throw it out. 50 years ago, in the time of John F. Kennedy, this was not the case. I've heard numerous liberals on this board say this country would be so much better off if Christianity didn't exist, and they praise Europe which is now mostly post-Christian.

So here is a hypothetical...if you had complete power and the ability to do so, would you ban Christianity in America? Nevermind the Constitution, would the banning of Christianity make America a better place and would you go as far as to amend the Constitution to do it?

If YES - What would the punishment be for practicing it?

If NO - How far should separation of church and state be enforced?

May I be permitted to ask a few basic questions, your grace?

If Christians could make Christianity America's state religion, would they do it?

Could they even come to an agreement among themselves as to what Christianity is?

Would they devolve into a religious war in an attempt to forever decide whcih Christian sect is the one Jesus approves of the most?

Old 12-30-2011, 10:24 AM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,108,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucsLose View Post
Maybe you need to study the Bible and such a bit more. Jesus wanted people to work hard and provide for themselves. Yes he was for helping those who are unfortunate, but not for the government to TAKE from others to give to the "poor". It should be a CHOICE to give the poor and it shouldnt be forced.
"Consider the lilies of the field. They toil not, neither do they spin. Yet Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed as well as they." "It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven." "Sell all that you have, give it to the poor, and follow me."

I have dozens of more direct quotes from the Bible that I will be happy to give you to prove my point. Now give me ONE where Jesus says what you claim He said.

Old 12-30-2011, 10:24 AM

1,329 posts, read 831,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucsLose View Post
Maybe you need to study the Bible and such a bit more. Jesus wanted people to work hard and provide for themselves.
That sounds more like the Gospel according to Ayn Rand. Jesus never said anything like that, in fact when asked by a rich young man what he should do, Jesus told the man, to be perfect, he should sell everything. He never said anything about investing in a house or putting away money for an education.

The parable of the Good Samaritan shows that people have obligations to others when they are most vulnerable. Nobody can be self-sufficient, we will all have times we have to journey from Jerusalem to Jericho and might be attacked by bandits.

Old 12-30-2011, 10:26 AM

7,871 posts, read 10,126,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Huh? I see nothing in my post that I correlates with your response.

It's possible I responded to the wrong post...

Quote:
Pushy Christians getting pushed back and that's peachy ....yea ..ok. I am proudly and unabashedly a Christian ...but I don't heap preachy speech on folks. Neither do the vast majority of true Christians. We understand that coming to Christ is not something that can be forced on anyone. The very idea goes against what Christ taught.
Its become "uncool" in modern America to be a Christian.
I think there is a trend developing, but whose fault is it? IMHO the televangelists are far more to blame than any loudmouthed atheist.

I totally agree that Christians get painted with too broad a brush. It's really only that loud fundamentalist minority that is to blame.

Quote:
To be part of the "in" group it is required to view Christians anathema to what modern America is. Ok...so be it. But we Christians do not have an agenda to push on anyone regarding Faith. You have to come to that on your own. The "pushy" types are not true Christians.

Meh, I think they can still be "true and just be pushy but I also think that many that are pushy really miss the point of all that stuff in red in the second half of the Bible.

Quote:
They presume to act on Gods behalf...as if He needs help. That's NOT what being a Christian is.
I think many of them do no less than actually try to speak for God, which is the ultimate in arrogance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies