Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2011, 06:14 AM

3,457 posts, read 4,651,747 times

Advertisements

Why do Democrats have this love affair with class warfare? So much, they invent fraudulent sayings like the "rich don't pay their fair share" and can't stand that someone actually used his brains to make himself successful. Is it because they are jus trying to buy votes? Or do they hate someone who is not under the control of the government hand?

Just curious to see their reasoning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2011, 06:15 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Because we need more money to fund the social welfare programs..they are going broke.

Old 12-30-2011, 06:44 AM

1,040 posts, read 1,333,858 times
I can't speak for everyone, but my take is that many left-leaning folks see inequality in income (and savings) distributions and feel that it is unjust. As such, they feel that the government should be a great equalizer and redistribute money from those who have more to those who have less (either directly, through vouchers, or through services).

One problem that I have with this scheme is that it necessarily employs violence in an attempt to achieve some level of wealth equality.

It's important to recognize that there is no fixed amount of wealth in the world, people create (and destroy) wealth in different ways all of the time. The idea that wealth is being hoarded by wealthier folks is flawed in that way.

All that said, we should be leery of those who would use government force to enrich themselves. Laws, regulations, and policies which benefit some people or companies over others are wrong... which is why I feel that government should be as small as practical. The free market (tm) tends to show bias in ways which are beneficial to society as a whole: There is immense pressure to produce higher-quality, lower-cost goods and services. That's what really makes our lives better, after all.

Old 12-30-2011, 06:46 AM

45,201 posts, read 26,417,923 times
They want everyone to achieve the same level of mediocrity (except for their own elites)

12,481 posts, read 10,218,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHouse9 View Post
Why do Democrats have this love affair with class warfare? So much, they invent fraudulent sayings like the "rich don't pay their fair share" and can't stand that someone actually used his brains to make himself successful. Is it because they are jus trying to buy votes? Or do they hate someone who is not under the control of the government hand?

because they thrive on making american scared of the rich. If you can make the sheep scared of them they will vote democratic

3,457 posts, read 3,621,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHouse9 View Post
i will probably be voting democrat for the next senatorial election, so i will answer as a dem: fight fire with fire.

GOP engages in class warfare, also. Pro-business can be anti-household. Pro-capital can be anti-labor (and no i'm not talking about unions, i'm talking about labor. People who earn a wage). If you're part of a working household, earning a wage, without much in the way of net assets, it behooves you to stand up for your own interests.

Old 12-30-2011, 06:50 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Like this equalization worked in education where "everyone is a winner".

Old 12-30-2011, 06:51 AM

13,186 posts, read 14,972,499 times
"CLASS WARFARE" is what they call it when you stick up for yourself and your family.

All Democrats are trying to do is "modestly" raise the top marginal tax rates to those earning over $250K per year.

The rates would still be much lower than what we have had historically.

This last little bar on the far right is the raise in rates Obama proposed, and what right wingers are whining about.

http://yglesias.thinkprogress.org/wp.../top_rates.jpg

Old 12-30-2011, 07:06 AM

18,782 posts, read 17,352,042 times
I had a friend at work who was a persuaded lefty, and we had a lot of time to talk politics (fortunately always able to keep it civil and remain friends). He does not really like the Democrats, especially Obama, whom he thinks has sold out to the corp. But still he is basically an FDR Democrat, and big time class-warfare guy.

In talking with him, the one thing I come away with is that so much of his thinking comes out of the 'fixed pie fallacy.'
CARPE DIEM: The Fixed Pie Fallacy

If a rich guy has money, it's because he took it from a poor guy. I never forget one time we were talking about job creation. My friend looked at me and said, "You know what the super-rich think of you? They think your're a sucker." Of course that's not the way I see it. I think for example, if a Steve Ballmer were to 'think of me' it would be as a potential customer. I.E. his thought would be 'what product can I produce that he will like so much, that he will give me some of his hard-earned money for it?'

I'm convinced that a huge share of left-wing ideology flows out of that fixed-pie fallacy. If we could just get econ 101 as a required topic in high schools, we would never elect another Obama again.

Old 12-30-2011, 07:08 AM

10,875 posts, read 13,806,109 times
"Class warfare" was a term made up by the ultra right when they are asked to pay their fair share, and not force the middle class to pay the rich's for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies