Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2012, 06:29 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,175,777 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minethatbird View Post
This was available in my state long before BO arrived on the scene.

However, it was far greater in cost than $149 per month in premiums.
Hence the need for a cheaper premium.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2012, 08:58 PM

37,121 posts, read 42,186,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minethatbird View Post
This was available in my state long before BO arrived on the scene.

However, it was far greater in cost than $149 per month in premiums.
There is a different, high risk, plan available too that cost more money. This one is for the average person who might get denied coverage because they were treated for acne or depression or something. You can't make that stuff up, it's happened. Hence the need for the new laws. The high risk pool, usually those with serious diseases or conditions, will always pay more obviously.

I'm glad the OP's son was able to take advantage of this. $149 for a 26 year old who is probably NOT "high risk" is not a handout and is what one should expect to pay for coverage at that age.

Last edited by Ceece; 01-01-2012 at 09:07 PM..

Old 01-01-2012, 10:03 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,685,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
We are...you and I.

And for a fellow American, i'm grateful to be doing it.
Me, too! I much prefer my tax dollars go to help people than to pursue a war or threef!

Quote:
Oh...

Because i was too damn busy paying for useless wars that get soldiers killed for nothing. Yea, i was forced to pay for that stuff too.
Exactly! Maybe we should run these wars on these voluntary contributions all the RWs want to fund human services with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSHL10 View Post
Congrats on getting into a tax payer funded program. Swinging a deal like that for just $149 a month is a huge savings compared to buying insurance on the open market like I'm forced to due to being self employed (and being responsible not to allow my kids to go without insurance for 6 months which is another requirement for entering this program)

Sometimes I wonder if it truly is worth working as hard as one can and being as responsible as you can. Between sudsidized housing, welfare, unemployment benefits, larger college financial aid, and subsidized insurance, I wonder what the the true dollar value of being underemployed is?
Bwwwaaaaahhh!

Old 01-02-2012, 10:03 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,413,374 times
Quote:

We all know and understand that we are paying for this. And personally, i'm glad that we are. That's what Americans are supposed to do for each other.
I think when you say "we" you really mean "me", and the few others who shoulder the burden. I've never complained about paying taxes, and consider myself fortunate, but would like those entrusted with my tax dollars to at least spend them prudently.

The combined total cost for the social programs is $2.0 trillion. Total tax receipts, including personal, corporate taxes, and embedded excise taxes total about the same. We spent $3.5 trillion. If we added back the Bush tax cuts, we are still trillions in the red every year.

Obamacare was sold on the premise that it would cut the deficit. This is blatantly false. We were told that there were between 30 and 50 million people who would gain coverage under Obamacare. The average cost per capita in the US is $7,000. If we add 30 million, incremental additional costs are $210 billion, if we assume that they are "uncovered". The reality is that nobody is uncovered in our society. Regardless, we can expect billions in new costs - tens of billions. The savings were supposed to come from Medicare, fraud, waste, abuse, and other voodoo.

The lie is that Obamacare is insurance. It is not insurance. Insurance pools work by "pooling" premiums from a large group and spreading risk over time. It does not accomplish that. The only way to cover everyone is a mandatory, single-payer solution. Since healthcare costs are not a function of income, but rather per individual, higher income payers will subsidize lower income payers. I'm fine with that as I think it benefits society and will lower costs over time.

Here's the catch - everyone is going to have to pay. If we take the total cost of healthcare and divide it by payroll dollars, we can derive a percentage that each employee will have to pay. It will be progressive. Depending on who you believe, that number is 8 to 17%. In France, Germany, and similar countries that is the number also, and they are having problems. When we have a system like that, that everyone pays into, even if they are subsidized by guys like me, I'll be happy.

Here is the bigger catch - our Constitution is not the same as the those countries. To get around the Constitution, I think it will end up being a service of the government, funded from the general fund, in the same way SS is not an entitlement. It's not mandatory. When this happens, taxes will have to rise or other programs will have to shrink. I don't think we can continue running deficits at our current pace indefinitely. Guess who is going to pick up the tab?

The rich should pay more. The poor should pay something. And the total cost should be transparent, with honest accounting to ensure the system remains viable.

Old 01-02-2012, 10:06 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,413,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Exactly! Maybe we should run these wars on these voluntary contributions all the RWs want to fund human services with.
The rich already pay for 100% of the cost of defense. The social programs cost $2 trillion. Total receipts are $2 trillion. That means everything above that amount, including defense, interest on debt, and every other ancillary government function, is funded by borrowed money. Who is going to pay that back, the poor? Not a chance..

Old 01-03-2012, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
The rich already pay for 100% of the cost of defense. The social programs cost $2 trillion. Total receipts are $2 trillion. That means everything above that amount, including defense, interest on debt, and every other ancillary government function, is funded by borrowed money. Who is going to pay that back, the poor? Not a chance..
Please provide a link. If you mean the 53% that supposedly pay income tax you have a pretty loose definition of "rich".

We have RWs all the time saying there should be no public welfare system, that it should all be done by private donations. Let's put defense on the same program. Those who want war can contribute.

Old 01-03-2012, 01:33 AM

323 posts, read 321,515 times
Very sad.. to hear the nonworking are getting free benefits.
Veto Nobamacare ASAP!

Old 01-03-2012, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by organicgreen View Post
Very sad.. to hear the nonworking are getting free benefits.
Veto Nobamacare ASAP!
Nowhere was it stated that the OP's son was not working.

Old 01-03-2012, 08:25 AM

6,233 posts, read 9,477,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurbie View Post
I promised to update an earlier post about my adult son's efforts to get health insurance coverage under the Affordable Health Care Act.

My 26 year old son was covered for the first 25 years under my work plan. When I retired, he was on his own. He tried to apply, but was turned down (by Kaiser) due to a chronic "pre-existing" condition.

In Dec, he learned about PCIP, the government-run Pre-existing Conditon Insurance Plan, a feature of Obamacare available now in all 50 states. To be eligible for PCIP, you have to have been without health insurance for six months, and have been declined insurance due to a pre-existing condition. My son met both qualifications.

He applied on-line, submitted his application, and was accepted.

My son now has FULL HEALTH INSURANCE COVERAGE under California's PCIP. The plan is administered by First Health, a provider headquartered in San Diego. He has a plastic PCIP/First Health swipe card with his subscriber number, and two 24 hr information lines, including a nurse on stand-by to answer medical questions.

My son's plan has a monthly premium of $149. His office visits are $25, prescriptions $10-15, and out-of-the pocket is capped at $2500 per year.

He ran his zip code at the web site, looking for a doctor, and got 3500 hits. Turns out my personal physician of the past 25 years accepts PCIP patients. So we might wind up with the same doctor!

PCIP is set to expire at the end of 2013, because that is when, under the AHCA, it will no longer be legal for insurance companies to turn down people like my son for coverage.

I don't know what is going to happen later, but for now, my son has health coverage. If he becomes seriously ill, or is badly injured in an accident, he (and I) will not be bankrupted by medical bills.

According to info on-line, there are 25 million eligable Americans who could qualify for coverage under PCIP, but only 25,000 have signed up so far. We need to get the word out. I encourage anyone in my son's situation to check into PCIP.

AND, no matter who wins the 2012 election, to maybe think twice about being so quick to support the repeal of Obamacare, in the absense of a good alternative from the GOP.
Good! Glad to hear it, and happy for your son can get medical coverage despite his pre-existing condition. I echo Katiana.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factsplease View Post
How is someone a parasite when they attempted to get insurance like everyone else but were denied because of a pre-existing condition? I will add you to the list...
Because those people should have simply died to save us from paying for them. At least that's essentially what a lot of people here are saying without actually saying it, Pre-existing conditions be damned.

Old 01-03-2012, 08:32 AM

556 posts, read 622,383 times
Why didn't he pick up his fathers insurance? He was eligible for COBRA. There is no pre existing condition if you already had coverage. Something doesn't sound right with this story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies