Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2011, 11:23 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,944,793 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantasy Tokoro View Post
>This topic
>Conservatives praising Canada for policies that Liberals have been wanting for years
But somehow they've NEVER been able to implement them....

Saying that big taxing, big spending Canadian liberals want smaller government, less taxes, less intrusion, more domestic energy policy is utterly ridiculous.

WHY do you think the voters of Canada threw the liberals out on their duffs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2011, 12:09 PM

4,204 posts, read 4,689,623 times
canada has higher tax, better public transportation and universal health care. this is more towards policies of obama.

Old 12-31-2011, 03:46 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,578,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
That must be why so many in Canada head to the US for treatment, elective surgery, preventative testing AND life saving treatment.

I mean, who wants to wait six months for an MRI while a cancer spreads?
Here we go again with that same old worn out false claim. According to stats Canada the number of Canadians who have EVER gone to the USA for medical treatments is .1%. That's POINT ONE percent.

Do you have any idea at all how many Americans go to foreign countries for medical care?

Old 12-31-2011, 04:11 PM

6,762 posts, read 11,630,098 times
Quote:
Smaller government, less intrusive government, less taxes, a robust, domestic energy plan...all things obama has NOT done and look at the difference between the two nations.
I hate to mention reality to you, but Republicans haven't done those things either, even when they have controlled the white house and congress.

Old 12-31-2011, 04:27 PM

2,287 posts, read 2,588,148 times
Quote:
I mean, who wants to wait six months for an MRI while a cancer spreads?
6 months for an MRI? Really? I have friends and relatives who have suffered from cancer and the longest they waited for an MRI was 24 hrs, yup 24 hrs. They were in different parts of the country and spread out urban and rural.

Personally when I needed a ultrasound, I called the clinic upon leaving my doc's office and the first appointment was in 3 hrs. That is vastly different than 6 months.

Compare the percentage of Canadians who leave the country for advanced healthcare against the percentage of US residents who leave the country for basic or advanced healthcare and I think you will find the percentage of US folks who leave is far higher than Canadians.

Turn off Fox, Rush etc. and check out the facts. Talking points from right wing radio is not the answer.

Old 12-31-2011, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by revrandy View Post
6 months for an MRI? Really? I have friends and relatives who have suffered from cancer and the longest they waited for an MRI was 24 hrs, yup 24 hrs. They were in different parts of the country and spread out urban and rural.

Personally when I needed a ultrasound, I called the clinic upon leaving my doc's office and the first appointment was in 3 hrs. That is vastly different than 6 months.

Compare the percentage of Canadians who leave the country for advanced healthcare against the percentage of US residents who leave the country for basic or advanced healthcare and I think you will find the percentage of US folks who leave is far higher than Canadians.

Turn off Fox, Rush etc. and check out the facts. Talking points from right wing radio is not the answer.
Well, you must be the exception.

OECD grades Canada's health care, finds long wait times | CTV News

OECD grades Canada's health care, finds long wait times

The Ugly Truth About Canadian Health Care by David Gratzer, City Journal Summer 2007
FactCheck.org : Comparing Health Care in Canada to the U.S.

Full report at the link.

Quote:
Wait times for elective and non-emergency surgery were even more disparate: Thirty-three percent of Canadians reported a wait time of more than four months, but only 8 percent of Americans had to wait that long. In another study, 27 percent of Canadians said that waiting times were their biggest complaint about their health system, versus only 3 percent of Americans. In October 2007, the Fraser Institute, a Canada-based libertarian think tank, reported that Canadians waited an average of 18.3 weeks between seeing a general practitioner and getting surgery or treatment.
Maybe why the push to privatize some aspects of another UHC implosion.

Canadian Health Care System

Quote:
Dr. Anne Doig, the new president of the Canadian Medical Association, says Canada’s health care system is “sick”, according to an interview in the Canadian Press.

“We all agree that the system is imploding, we all agree that things are more precarious than perhaps Canadians realize.”
Last I read, UHC takes up about 40% of revenue.

I used to live there, in Ontario, for 4 years.

My husband's salary had to TRIPLE in order to compensate for the massive increase of taxes.

Again, I believe the conservative government of Harper is trying to find common sense solutions in this area as well.

Old 12-31-2011, 05:51 PM

Quote:
I used to live there, in Ontario, for 4 years.

My husband's salary had to TRIPLE in order to compensate for the massive increase of taxes.
You lost all credibility with the is comment.

The top income tax rate in Canada (Federal) is 29%, the majority pay around 22%. The top tax rate in Ontario is 11% with the majority paying between 5 & 9%. So we are looking at a total tax rate paid by the majority of ~30%.

The top tax rate in the U.S. (Federal) is 35% with the majority paying the 28% rate or so. Add in state taxes, and the tax load isn't that much different.

Oh yeah, don't forget to add in the cost of healthcare in the U.S. and you will see that it is a better deal living in Canada than the U.S. To say his rate had to triple is nothing but pure exageration... takes away from any credibility you had before.

Old 12-31-2011, 05:56 PM

Quote:
You lost all credibility with the is comment.

The top income tax rate in Canada (Federal) is 29%, the majority pay around 22%. The top tax rate in Ontario is 11% with the majority paying between 5 & 9%. So we are looking at a total tax rate paid by the majority of ~30%.

The top tax rate in the U.S. (Federal) is 35% with the majority paying the 28% rate or so. Add in state taxes, and the tax load isn't that much different.

Oh yeah, don't forget to add in the cost of healthcare in the U.S. and you will see that it is a better deal living in Canada than the U.S. To say his rate had to triple is nothing but pure exageration... takes away from any credibility you had before.
Add in the massive taxes for HC, the 15% sales tax, provincial and federal....yeah, to pay my husband what was negotiated in US dollars, it had to triple.

Now, these are 2012 rates and I know they've gone down with Harper in charge. Don't remember what they were 2002-2006.

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/ndvdls/fq/txrts-eng.html

Quote:
15% on the first $42,707 of taxable income, +
22% on the next $42,707 of taxable income (on the portion of taxable income over $42,707 up to $85,414), +
26% on the next $46,992 of taxable income (on the portion of taxable income over $85,414 up to $132,406), +
29% of taxable income over $132,406.
See the plus signs? These are ADDED together. A person making $150K a year is NOT paying 29% in federal tax.

Last edited by sanrene; 12-31-2011 at 06:08 PM..

Old 12-31-2011, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Add in the massive taxes for HC, the 15% sales tax, provincial and federal....yeah, to pay my husband what was negotiated in US dollars, it had to triple.
There are no extra taxes for HC, it is included in the Federal taxes paid. Some provinces have a GST, some states have a sales tax. It may add 5 or 5% of what you spend, not on income. So in reality it is about 2, maybe 3% higher than I stated.

Don't know what your husband worked out, and I believe the exchange rate was different back then, but right now the CDN $ is about par, and the average wealth of Canadians passed that of the average American in 2011.

Sorry, your comment about needing to triple your salary to break even is nothing but a bold face lie, disproved by the facts I posted.

Old 12-31-2011, 06:15 PM

Quote:
There are no extra taxes for HC, it is included in the Federal taxes paid. Some provinces have a GST, some states have a sales tax. It may add 5 or 5% of what you spend, not on income. So in reality it is about 2, maybe 3% higher than I stated.

Don't know what your husband worked out, and I believe the exchange rate was different back then, but right now the CDN $ is about par, and the average wealth of Canadians passed that of the average American in 2011.

Sorry, your comment about needing to triple your salary to break even is nothing but a bold face lie, disproved by the facts I posted.
Sorry, you haven't provided ANY facts that dispute what I said. I could care less what you believe, as I know what they had to do to "make it right" for our family to move into Canada. To make sure he was making the equivalent in US dollars, they had to "gross up" his salary a massive amount.

Oh, the GST of 15% (is it still 15%) does NOT work out to be 5%...that won't fly.

I see you didn't address the REAL question on wait times...the links I provided.

Are you sure you live in Canada?

Provincial governments have a SALES TAX and an INCOME TAX, add to that the FEDERAL INCOME TAX and the FEDERAL GST.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies