Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2011, 10:16 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,193,725 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Sort of like burning a cross, huh?
Ok...so you know that i'm an African American. Good for you.

And yes, cross burning is protected too, furthermore, i couldn't care less if my next door neighbor burned one so long as he doesn't do it on my property. Hell, i wouldn't even look up from my newspaper!

(BIG FAT YAAAAAWN)!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2011, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
burning the flag is symbolic of burning the country.

bad form, bad policy, bad protestors.

the rest of america is not on board with those antics.
Burning the flag is symbolic of idiocy. It isn't a symbol of burning the country. Not even close.

And what the "rest of America" is on board with isn't the issue. Constitution protects unpopular speech. Sorry.

Old 12-31-2011, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
While it may be protected it's highly offensive to many people. The irony here is they are burning the flag of a nation in what must be one of a few where they won't be jailed or even killed for it.

----Edit-----

Looking over this Wikipedia article it appears to be illegal in most European nations other than the UK. Where's the outrage from the left?

Flag desecration - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Offensive speech is protected so long as it doesn't infringe on the rights of another individual. Burning the flag infringes my on standard for bad taste, but unfortunately, the Constitution doesn't protect my taste in standards from being offended.

Don't care about the laws in Europe. Not my business. Not your either if you're not a citizen of a European country.

So...ya know..

Old 12-31-2011, 10:20 AM

1,707 posts, read 6,210,579 times
MEH. They just realize that the world has moved on and is no longer paying attention to their spoiled brat ways... so they are trying to get attention.

I say ignore them. They are not worthy of my time.

Old 12-31-2011, 10:22 AM

11,531 posts, read 10,289,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zembonez View Post
MEH. They just realize that the world has moved on and is no longer paying attention to their spoiled brat ways... so they are trying to get attention.

I say ignore them. They are not worthy of my time.
I don't understand how you can support a candidate who is trying to work with thme

Old 12-31-2011, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
I believe most will agree with you....

However, if this had been a Tea Party person...well holy hell and THAT is why this is posted....not that the flag is not a symbol...it is...
Meh...that's a hypothetical. In any case, i don't care who burns it so long as they don't do it on my property.

Old 12-31-2011, 10:56 AM

3,614 posts, read 3,502,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Meh...that's a hypothetical. In any case, i don't care who burns it so long as they don't do it on my property.
I don't know, I bet the ashes would be great for your tomatoes.

I'm really curious about the arson bit though. It says something about setting fire to woods, but I'm curious if it's just a ploy to arrest them for, well, protesting.

Old 12-31-2011, 11:03 AM

1,770 posts, read 2,897,306 times
I believe in freedom of speech and expression. This falls under "expression". I support their right to do that.
With that being said, this just furthers the proof that they truly are just craving attention. I know there are always radicals in every group (although, imo, this group in particular always seems to get defended more for their radicals....), but still.

With the internet now, there's sooo many much more organized things to do "to make a difference". Bank Transfer Day, IMO, was one of the best ideas I've seen. It was about educating and getting people to make a difference, without being ridiculous and hurting your cause.

Old 12-31-2011, 01:24 PM

46,281 posts, read 27,093,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post

Your opinion, but look at the fire storm that happened when pelozi and that guy were walking through the crowd...."oh I was spit on how dare them Tea Party people" ugly nasty and disgusting......

A few days later...uhhh, yea, well I may have not been spit on....

Sorry, but your wrong in this instance....everything the Tea Party has done is critical, and who care about OWS....for that matter anything on the dem side...

Old 12-31-2011, 01:25 PM

7,006 posts, read 6,994,198 times
No surprise really. Liberals hate America. Unless they had a real political point to make (doubtful) their burning the flag is absolutely pointless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies