Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you feel it is correct to teach children that homosexuality is normal and natural?
Yes 292 50.34%
No 256 44.14%
I am unsure 32 5.52%
Voters: 580. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2012, 04:33 AM

6,486 posts, read 6,384,225 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rlarson21 View Post
I guess i can see where you're coming from, but keep in mind that there are gay students at these schools, and that being gay is not chosen, so how could it not be normal or natural? if it's not then why does it exist when it's not chosen?
The point is, it doesn't MATTER if something's natural or normal. All that matters is if it causes any harm/risks compared to benefits/neutrality, in and of itself. This is the sort of thinking we should promote to our children. The entire debate needs to go. Moreso than any other debate because, in addition to us never getting anywhere on it, it teaches kids wrong no matter WHAT your side is. It promotes the idea to them that the way you're born (or how you contrast with others, another meaning of "normal" kids can assume is being used here) has anything to do with what you should be.

Question for you: What if a particular person WASN'T "born gay", and there was some objective way to know that for a fact. Would you have a problem with them "becoming gay" later on?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2012, 04:48 AM

1,615 posts, read 2,574,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
The point is, it doesn't MATTER if something's natural or normal. All that matters is if it causes any harm/risks compared to benefits/neutrality, in and of itself. This is the sort of thinking we should promote to our children. The entire debate needs to go. Moreso than any other debate because, in addition to us never getting anywhere on it, it teaches kids wrong no matter WHAT your side is. It promotes the idea to them that the way you're born (or how you contrast with others, another meaning of "normal" kids can assume is being used here) has anything to do with what you should be.

Question for you: What if a particular person WASN'T "born gay", and there was some objective way to know that for a fact. Would you have a problem with them "becoming gay" later on?
i DID not choose to be gay, i have never MET someone who DID. myself and all the gay people i know have stories of HARDSHIP over the FACT that we're gay. the simple solution to the problem if it was a choice would have been to simply 'not be gay'. but that wasn't a CHOICE GIVEN!!

weight the harm etc also makes no sense, since it's not chosen, however harmful you or someonne would think it is, wouldn't stop the nature and the reality of life here on earth. people will KEEP BEING BORN GAY, mental arguments won't change birth traits.

Old 03-04-2012, 08:29 AM

11,466 posts, read 19,344,365 times
Default Do you feel it is correct to teach children that homosexuality is normal and natural?

Parents pass on their beliefs to their children, other than that it's not anybody else's business to push their opinions on other peoples children.

Old 03-04-2012, 08:38 AM

434 posts, read 684,359 times
Why don't we just teach children that homosexuality is normal and natural for homosexuals, and homosexuals are people too, so they should have the same rights and responsibilities as heterosexuals. Why make this complicated?

Old 03-04-2012, 08:51 AM

6,721 posts, read 5,199,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
Parents pass on their beliefs to their children, other than that it's not anybody else's business to push their opinions on other peoples children.
You might want to explore why parents have a right to control what their kids learn and think. If you have the right to teach your kid anything you want aren't you doing them a disservice? If you believe that the earth is 6000 years old, whites are the master race and all other races are inferior, do you feel your kids will be well served by not hearing alternative views? Isn't it better to expose your kids to a wide variety of views and allow them to develop their minds?

Apparently you don't have confidence in the strength of your own beliefs if you think exposure to alternative beliefs might sway your kids away from the echo chamber you have created for them...

Old 03-04-2012, 08:53 AM

10,190 posts, read 7,948,229 times
Do you feel it is correct to teach children that homosexuality is normal and natural?

Do you feel that it's correct to teach children that robbing banks is normal and natural???

Old 03-04-2012, 08:56 AM

5,821 posts, read 5,301,422 times
Default Do you feel it is correct to teach children that homosexuality is normal and natural?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprague and Henwood View Post
Absolutely Not
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
It is neither normal, or natural, and I want my children to go to Heaven.

There is no sex in Heaven.

Old 03-04-2012, 08:59 AM

9,848 posts, read 8,277,740 times
That would be insane IMO.

Old 03-04-2012, 08:59 AM

5,391 posts, read 7,225,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
Do you feel it is correct to teach children that homosexuality is normal and natural?

Do you feel that it's correct to teach children that robbing banks is normal and natural???
You omitted the explanation of how being homosexual is like robbing a bank.

Old 03-04-2012, 09:02 AM

11,466 posts, read 19,344,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy5 View Post
It is neither normal, or natural.
And I agree, i also feel it's the parents job to pass on their beliefs to their children and no one else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies