Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you feel it is correct to teach children that homosexuality is normal and natural?
Yes 292 50.34%
No 256 44.14%
I am unsure 32 5.52%
Voters: 580. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2011, 02:15 PM

3,064 posts, read 2,638,264 times

Advertisements

No. Even the American Psychological Association (APA) when removing the psychiatric diagnosis of Homosexuality from the DSM, acknowledged that the removal was in no way to imply that Homosexuality was "normal." It was removed because it no longer met the new criteria for the technical definition of a psychiatric disorder. The decision to have it removed was based on political pressure and compassion rather than any scientific findings. Also, there has been absolutely no scientific studies proving that this condition is something someone is "born" with. That being the case, it is probably in almost all cases a learned behavior, either through psychological trauma as in molestation or more prevalently through mismatched gender identification in the formative years as presented by Freud.

So, the APA refuses to acknowledge Homosexuality as "normal" and acknowledges that there is nothing to substantiate it being natural. It is clearly not proven to be normal and natural. I will not teach my children that it is. On the other hand, I do not go out of my way to disparage Homosexuals. People have a choice and if they choose to quietly lead an unnatural and unhealthy lifestyle, I will not teach my children to hate them for it. But, I certainly will not allow my children to be taught to celebrate it (and perhaps be influenced by it seeing as it is in most cases a learned behavior. I refuse to be part of this social experiment being played out on our children.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2011, 02:15 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,708,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
He's referring to an article that caused an uproar here a few months ago, where a lesbian couple were raising 3 children and the youngest child was suffering from Gender Identity Disorder and threatened to cut off her genitals (the child was biologically male, but mentally female). The parents took the child to extensive therapy and doctors, and the recommended solution due to the child's age was hormone blockers to delay puberty until the child could choose for themselves regarding sex reassignment.
Thanks Fiyero, I saw that and edited my post. So often we see these unique situations treated as if they were common and conveniently ignore that the medical community was involved.

Old 12-31-2011, 02:19 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,708,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctrain View Post
But, I certainly will not allow my children to be taught to celebrate it (and perhaps be influenced by it seeing as it is in most cases a learned behavior. I refuse to be part of this social experiment being played out on our children.)
If your child turns out to be gay, will you consider it a failure on your part for somehow having let them make such a "choice"?

Old 12-31-2011, 02:21 PM

3,335 posts, read 2,985,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
Elementary and middle school kids are already experimenting with sex. I was taught sex ed when I was 11, in 6th grade. You overestimate the innocence of children.
Public school at it's best.

Sounds like it gave you a real sense of right and wrong.

Why don't we pollute all the babies.

Old 12-31-2011, 02:21 PM

3,493 posts, read 4,551,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Scates View Post
Do you feel that it is correct to teach children that homosexuality is normal and natural? Teachers, Parents... people with authority over children
I do not agree with telling my kids it is normal because it is not. Sex in nature is to reproduce. However, it is an aberration to to want sex with the same gender.

However, I will defend the right for people to have sex with whomever they want. I have no problem in voting for gays to marry. Homosexuality may be disgusting to me but I also have the freedom not to see it or have it. I respect those that do.

That is how I would address with with kids that regardless whether it is not natural from the perspective of human reproduction, respect for others rights is what we all should strive for. Take care.

Old 12-31-2011, 02:25 PM

3,335 posts, read 2,985,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
If your child turns out to be gay, will you consider it a failure on your part for somehow having let them make such a "choice"?
The NEW Gay is a fad. The " I kissed a girl and i like it" crowd has come and gone.

The choice to have homo-sex is on the chooser, not the parent. Although many gays were raped as young children, and have a screwed up sense of what love and normal sexual relations should be, i blame those gays on their perps..

Old 12-31-2011, 02:26 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,047,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Scates View Post
Do you feel that it is correct to teach children that homosexuality is normal and natural? Teachers, Parents... people with authority over children
There is an appropriate time to discus this with a child.

Most likely, when they ask you. I don't understand how a child could understand before they are old enough.

That being said, children should be taught to respect everyone.

Old 12-31-2011, 02:27 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,348,947 times
Quote:
Why would lesbians raise a boy as a girl unless the child clearly aligned that way? How would they block his normal hormonal development without a medically prescribed drug requiring a doctor's approval? If a father raises a daughter as a "tomboy", most would shrug. But you use an extreme scenario and act as if it was common. And that is what you would try to teach your children.

I can imagine a time when parents did not want their children to know the world wasn't flat.
It's an example of one person telling others what they can or cannot do, if you want to tell someone they can't tell their children this or that then it goes both ways.

Old 12-31-2011, 02:27 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,397,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctrain View Post
No. Even the American Psychological Association (APA) when removing the psychiatric diagnosis of Homosexuality from the DSM, acknowledged that the removal was in no way to imply that Homosexuality was "normal." It was removed because it no longer met the new criteria for the technical definition of a psychiatric disorder. The decision to have it removed was based on political pressure and compassion rather than any scientific findings. Also, there has been absolutely no scientific studies proving that this condition is something someone is "born" with. That being the case, it is probably in almost all cases a learned behavior, either through psychological trauma as in molestation or more prevalently through mismatched gender identification in the formative years as presented by Freud.
Amazing! Did you learn this while obtaining your psychology degree online?

Some facts:

Redirect Page

Is homosexuality a mental disorder? No, lesbian, gay, and bisexual orientations are not disorders. Research has found no inherent association between any of these sexual orientations and psychopathology. Both heterosexual behavior and homosexual behavior are normal aspects of human sexuality. Both have been documented in many different cultures and historical eras. Despite the persistence of stereotypes that portray lesbian, gay, and bisexual people as disturbed, several decades of research and clinical experience have led all mainstream medical and mental health organizations in this country to conclude that these orientations represent normal forms of human experience. Lesbian, gay, and bisexual relationships are normal forms of human bonding. Therefore, these mainstream organizations long ago abandoned classifications of homosexuality as a mental disorder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctrain
So, the APA refuses to acknowledge Homosexuality as "normal" and acknowledges that there is nothing to substantiate it being natural. It is clearly not proven to be normal and natural. I will not teach my children that it is.
Err... only, the APA clearly says it is.

Quote:
On the other hand, I do not go out of my way to disparage Homosexuals.
How very generous and kind of you.

Quote:
People have a choice and if they choose to quietly lead an unnatural and unhealthy lifestyle, I will not teach my children to hate them for it.
Now you certainly didn't learn that sexuality is a CHOICE from your (clearly inadequate) study of the APA!

From the APA:
What causes a person to have a particular sexual orientation? There is no consensus among scientists about the exact reasons that an individual develops a heterosexual, bisexual, gay, or lesbian orientation. Although much research has examined the possible genetic, hormonal, developmental, social, and cultural influences on sexual orientation, no findings have emerged that permit scientists to conclude that sexual orientation is determined by any particular factor or factors. Many think that nature and nurture both play complex roles; most people experience little or no sense of choice about their sexual orientation.

Quote:
But, I certainly will not allow my children to be taught to celebrate it (and perhaps be influenced by it seeing as it is in most cases a learned behavior. I refuse to be part of this social experiment being played out on our children.)
What a bizarre worldview.

Old 12-31-2011, 02:28 PM

3,064 posts, read 2,638,264 times
Quote:
I would believe that something, somewhere went wrong. I would still love them . But I certainly would not jump on the bandwagon to celebrate Homosexuality and encourage society to modify itself around them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies