Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you feel it is correct to teach children that homosexuality is normal and natural?
Yes 292 50.34%
No 256 44.14%
I am unsure 32 5.52%
Voters: 580. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2011, 03:48 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,953,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
It would probably scare them even more to know the clitoris is a miniature penis. Uh ohs!

Apparently you think that you are the only one here that understands anatomy?
Surprise, surprise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2011, 03:48 PM

8,346 posts, read 7,043,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctrain View Post
Are you aware that current scientific research does not support that homosexuals were "born that way." Even the APA admits that. Doesn't mean that they consciously "choose" it; but it does imply that outside influences can be a factor. I don't want my child influenced that way, do you? Our children are growing up in a time of a huge social experiment. I'd rather play it safe. I teach my kids to not hate and treat others with respect. But, I won't have them celebrating homosexuality and I am careful what others are calculatedly trying to expose them to. Happy New Year.
Quite honestly, I don't care how my daughter grows up in terms of sexual preference just as long as she's a happy and productive individual.

She could come to me at 15 and say "Dad, I'm gay" And I'd be like "And?"

Old 12-31-2011, 03:52 PM

3,064 posts, read 2,638,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Well, if homosexuals are being bullied for their orientation, why would it not be dealt with? Someone has to do something about it when obviously the parents are not capable of teaching their children to live and let live...
Schools should stick to teaching and enforcing that kids treat all other kids civilly; they should not single out a particular group and try to make everybody like each other. Gays are far from the only ones being bullied. Schools need to have clear expectations & consequences for BEHAVIORS; not try and change kids' values. Children are in school to learn academics; not sing Kumbaya.

Old 12-31-2011, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Schools should stick to teaching and enforcing that kids treat all other kids civilly
Which this I can agree with. Singling out a group tends to do the opposite of what you're trying to do. It'll only cause more ridicule.

However, I can understand the intent behind it, because schools used to turn a blind eye to homosexuals being bullied, so there needed to be SOMETHING to bring more awareness to it.

Old 12-31-2011, 03:56 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,953,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
Lol, ancient Hebrew is clear as a bell. Obviously you're either a troll or a Poe, because now you're just flat out lying.

Clear as a bell. You are just looking for any excuse to justify unnatural behavior.

Old 12-31-2011, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
Clear as a bell. You are just looking for any excuse to justify unnatural behavior.
Still not seeing how unnatural is automatically bad, when we're posting on unnatural machines.

Old 12-31-2011, 04:00 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,742,791 times
Quote:
Schools should stick to teaching and enforcing that kids treat all other kids civilly; they should not single out a particular group and try to make everybody like each other. Gays are far from the only ones being bullied. Schools need to have clear expectations & consequences for BEHAVIORS; not try and change kids' values. Children are in school to learn academics; not sing Kumbaya.
I suppose other groups ARE also dealt with during those classes. Fat people, minorities, etc., not just gays.

Behavior is based on values, so you can't expect one to change without the other, it would amount to ask kids to lie.

I actually think school is the number one place where kids get their values from nowadays, not home.

Old 12-31-2011, 04:07 PM

2,301 posts, read 2,033,288 times
Quote:
Are you aware that current scientific research does not support that homosexuals were "born that way." Even the APA admits that. Doesn't mean that they consciously "choose" it; but it does imply that outside influences can be a factor. I don't want my child influenced that way, do you? Our children are growing up in a time of a huge social experiment. I'd rather play it safe. I teach my kids to not hate and treat others with respect. But, I won't have them celebrating homosexuality and I am careful what others are calculatedly trying to expose them to. Happy New Year.
I do not think anyone should celebrate his or her sexual orientation. I find gay parades sort of odd in their concept. I agree that all folks should be treated with respect until they prove they are not worthy of it. A person's sexual orientation would be irrelevant.

I do not think children should avoid gays based on the notion that gays will somehow transform children into gay adults. Consequently I would no more teach children to avoid gays than I would teach them to avoid Catholic priests or coaches of college sports.

Old 12-31-2011, 04:09 PM

3,064 posts, read 2,638,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
I suppose other groups ARE also dealt with during those classes. Fat people, minorities, etc., not just gays.

Behavior is based on values, so you can't expect one to change without the other, it would amount to ask kids to lie.
Actually, the anti-bullying programs disproportionately focus on the GBLT population. And, of course, you can learn to act civilly to people who have different values than yourself. The Jews and Christians, for the most part, have learned to do so and live side by side. Children have attended school for generations with people of differing beliefs and values without the schools having to resort to trying to get them all to like each other and change their values. If there, indeed, is an increase in bullying (maybe as a result of the internet & vile TV shows, etc.) then the schools need to crack down on the bullying behaviors and apply stricter consequences; not interfere with family values.

Old 12-31-2011, 04:09 PM

6,762 posts, read 11,629,228 times
Teaching that homosexuality exist and that it exist in humans as well as a ton of other animals shouldn't be an issue at all. Teaching that is okay doesn't bother me at all, and I don't see why there should be any issue talking about it as a normal topic.
I used to disagree until I left the church, did plenty of my own thinking and studying and research on various topics, and came to the conclusion that much of church is just a tool for controlling people. I'm a bigger supporter than ever on separation of church and state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies