Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2012, 07:08 PM

4,664 posts, read 8,239,686 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsjustmeagain View Post
Hmmm... Norway is the happiest place on earth. They even heat their sidewalks.

In Pictures: The World's 10 Happiest Countries - No. 1: Norway - Forbes.com

But i guess haters hate.

Oh god
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2012, 07:09 PM

2,385 posts, read 1,586,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian6479 View Post
But you're not paid accordingly! Americans are still substantially richer than Germans, Swedes etc. Switzerland is full of imported money. I agree about health insurance, although my premium in the US is lower than I was paying in National Insurance in the UK and the quality of service makes me angry that I ever had to pay for it!

I'm not saying that the US is necessarily better, it depends on personal circumstances but to say that those countries in Europe are way better off is simply inaccurate. Germany has a huge national debt to GDP - it's actually worse than Spain if you do the math, and none possess the innovative companies that are abundant in the US. What would happen to German bonds if interest rates moved just 1%?
Look if you are in the middle class or below those countries are vastly superior than the United States. Switzerland is full of imported money. Are you drunk? They are known for elite banking, alright. But they are also the world leaders in many other industries. So what would happen if interest rates for american bonds would increase by 1%. Germany has a way lower debt/gdp ratio than the United States. Germany is a haven for innovation, the biggest exporter per capita in the world. The world leader in many engineering fields. But you are right the UK has nothing left than the financial industry, so they are in the crapper.
But keep on hating. I know its hard to except especially for a Brit. After all the UK is nothing more than a lapdog of the U.S.
What are you doing? You are arguing for a country that has over 20% real unemployment.

Old 01-01-2012, 07:15 PM

679 posts, read 660,548 times
Quote:
But you're not paid accordingly! Americans are still substantially richer than Germans, Swedes etc. Switzerland is full of imported money. I agree about health insurance, although my premium in the US is lower than I was paying in National Insurance in the UK and the quality of service makes me angry that I ever had to pay for it!

I'm not saying that the US is necessarily better, it depends on personal circumstances but to say that those countries in Europe are way better off is simply inaccurate. Germany has a huge national debt to GDP - it's actually worse than Spain if you do the math, and none possess the innovative companies that are abundant in the US. What would happen to German bonds if interest rates moved just 1%?
Not really, the middle class in the Nordics and central Europe is fairly stronger than the USA. The wealth disproportion in the USA is much worse than in Europe so those figures of Americans being "richer" can be distorted greatly.

Old 01-01-2012, 07:25 PM

932 posts, read 1,176,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stateisota View Post
Not really, the middle class in the Nordics and central Europe is fairly stronger than the USA. The wealth disproportion in the USA is much worse than in Europe so those figures of Americans being "richer" can be distorted greatly.
Looking at actual income distribution is a far better indicator. Purchasing power numbers are distorted by such factors.

Source: http://visualeconomics.creditloan.co...on-by-country/

The graph explains it better, but basically, the countries with the most even levels of income distribution (e.g. Sweden) tend to have the highest rates of social mobility. The US fairs pretty badly, especially when compared to other OECD nations.

Old 01-01-2012, 07:28 PM

4,664 posts, read 8,239,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsjustmeagain View Post
Look if you are in the middle class or below those countries are vastly superior than the United States. Switzerland is full of imported money. Are you drunk? They are known for elite banking, alright. But they are also the world leaders in many other industries. So what would happen if interest rates for american bonds would increase by 1%. Germany has a way lower debt/gdp ratio than the United States. Germany is a haven for innovation, the biggest exporter per capita in the world. The world leader in many engineering fields. But you are right the UK has nothing left than the financial industry, so they are in the crapper.
But keep on hating. I know its hard to except especially for a Brit. After all the UK is nothing more than a lapdog of the U.S.
What are you doing? You are arguing for a country that has over 20% real unemployment.

I'm not sure why you're on here bashing the US so much - it's you that's doing the hating, not me. I told you that I'm not protective of the UK but Tourane cheap shots. Nor am I claming that the US is some sort of utopia - merely rejecting your shallow claim that parts of Europe are somehow paradise compared to the United States. I actually love most of Europe and have enjoyed visiting the countries you speak of.

But I will argue against your claims that I feel are unfounded. America is still THE worlds biggest manufacturer, biggest economy, richest country, has the most powerful military and contains the worlds most innovative companies. That's not to say it's 'better' than Germany or Switzerland, but it's not to be dismissed as sone third world country either. Let's not forget where Europe would be if the US hadn't supported it over the past 60 years!

Germany mostly exporting means it is reliant on the US to purchase it's products. Look at what happened to the French car Market when the US placed massive tariffs on French cars - there are no French cars in the US today. Anyway, the point is that you sound like you just want to bash the US - that's not a debate I'm interested in. That's for the playground.

Old 01-01-2012, 07:33 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,878,217 times
Median income by nation in 2007:

Data are in United States dollars at current prices and current PPPs for the reference year.
RankCountry2007[5]1 Luxembourg34,4072 United States31,1113 Norway31,0114 Iceland28,1665 Australia26,9156 Switzerland26,8447 Canada25,3638 United Kingdom25,1689 Ireland24,67710 Austria24,11411 Netherlands24,02412 Sweden22,88913 Denmark22,46114 Belgium21,53215 Germany21,24116 Finland20,87517 New Zealand20,67918 France19,61519 Japan19,43220 South Korea19,17921 Slovenia18,86022 Spain18,39123 Italy16,86624 Greece15,75825 Israel14,05526 Czech Republic12,59627 Portugal12,51528 Estonia9,83629 Poland9,11330 Slovak Republic9,07131 Hungary8,53132 Chile7,85133 Turkey5,94034 Mexico4,689—OECD19,229

Ha Ha, beat the Germans on that one and Norway. This measure is based on median income (not mean) so the billionairres have little effect on the statistic.

Old 01-01-2012, 07:38 PM

Quote:
I'm not sure why you're on here bashing the US so much - it's you that's doing the hating, not me. I told you that I'm not protective of the UK but Tourane cheap shots. Nor am I claming that the US is some sort of utopia - merely rejecting your shallow claim that parts of Europe are somehow paradise compared to the United States. I actually love most of Europe and have enjoyed visiting the countries you speak of.

But I will argue against your claims that I feel are unfounded. America is still THE worlds biggest manufacturer, biggest economy, richest country, has the most powerful military and contains the worlds most innovative companies. That's not to say it's 'better' than Germany or Switzerland, but it's not to be dismissed as sone third world country either. Let's not forget where Europe would be if the US hadn't supported it over the past 60 years!

Germany mostly exporting means it is reliant on the US to purchase it's products. Look at what happened to the French car Market when the US placed massive tariffs on French cars - there are no French cars in the US today. Anyway, the point is that you sound like you just want to bash the US - that's not a debate I'm interested in. That's for the playground.
I'm not bashing anyone. You just don't like the facts I'm laying out for you. Yes, certain parts of Europe for the middle class is a paradise compared to the U.S. Just look at the income disparities, this country is borderline resembling a third world country. Yes we supported Europe very much, but now it stands on their own feet. Biggest military in the world? So what? Do you have some inferiority complex you need to compensate for? I rather would live in a country where it doesn't matter where I come from to achieve things in life. French cars on the world market are pretty much irrelevant. In the future the biggest car manufacturer is going to be Volkswagen (German company). Yes we consume a lot, but its all on debt. The american consumer is the most overleveraged consumer in the world. If you don't want to argue, don't argue. Have fun on the playground.

Old 01-01-2012, 07:40 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,878,217 times
Unemployment rate ‘artificially low’

May 5, 2010

Norway has been boasting the lowest unemployment rate in Europe for months, but researchers now suggest the real numbers of Norwegians out of work are higher. Both the researchers and some opposition politicians think published jobless rates have been “artificially low.”
Prime Minister Jens Stoltenberg has been trying to keep unemployment low and create new jobs, like here at a job conference last fall. Now he's being told unemployment is really higher than figures have shown. PHOTO: Arbeiderpartiet

A new study reported by newspaper Aftenposten on Wednesday reveals that many people who have lost their jobs wind up on disability, because of subsequent health problems. Researchers note that three out of every 10 new cases of disability result from job losses.
That means unemployed persons are collecting disability payments instead of unemployment benefits, and thus don’t turn up in the unemployment rolls. Norway, meanwhile, has the highest rate of workers on disability in Europe.

Old 01-01-2012, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Median income by nation in 2007:

Data are in United States dollars at current prices and current PPPs for the reference year.
RankCountry2007[5]1 Luxembourg34,4072 United States31,1113 Norway31,0114 Iceland28,1665 Australia26,9156 Switzerland26,8447 Canada25,3638 United Kingdom25,1689 Ireland24,67710 Austria24,11411 Netherlands24,02412 Sweden22,88913 Denmark22,46114 Belgium21,53215 Germany21,24116 Finland20,87517 New Zealand20,67918 France19,61519 Japan19,43220 South Korea19,17921 Slovenia18,86022 Spain18,39123 Italy16,86624 Greece15,75825 Israel14,05526 Czech Republic12,59627 Portugal12,51528 Estonia9,83629 Poland9,11330 Slovak Republic9,07131 Hungary8,53132 Chile7,85133 Turkey5,94034 Mexico4,689—OECD19,229

Ha Ha, beat the Germans on that one and Norway. This measure is based on median income (not mean) so the billionairres have little effect on the statistic.
Yep. America is the country of the superrich and the superpoor.

purchasing power parity per capita, the value of all final goods and services produced within a country in a given year divided by the average (or mid-year) population for the same year.

Yeah, the billionaires don't factor in at all.

Last edited by itsjustmeagain; 01-01-2012 at 07:53 PM..

Old 01-01-2012, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Unemployment rate ‘artificially low’

May 5, 2010

Norway has been boasting the lowest unemployment rate in Europe for months, but researchers now suggest the real numbers of Norwegians out of work are higher. Both the researchers and some opposition politicians think published jobless rates have been “artificially low.”
Prime Minister Jens Stoltenberg has been trying to keep unemployment low and create new jobs, like here at a job conference last fall. Now he's being told unemployment is really higher than figures have shown. PHOTO: Arbeiderpartiet

A new study reported by newspaper Aftenposten on Wednesday reveals that many people who have lost their jobs wind up on disability, because of subsequent health problems. Researchers note that three out of every 10 new cases of disability result from job losses.
That means unemployed persons are collecting disability payments instead of unemployment benefits, and thus don’t turn up in the unemployment rolls. Norway, meanwhile, has the highest rate of workers on disability in Europe.
Do you think its over 20% like in the U.S? I don't think so.
But keep on hating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies