Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2012, 12:42 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,594,973 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
So you blame the boomers for this depression ?
Like the guy living next door to you has that much power.

You're blaming people because the government allowed corporates/banks to take risks beyond what they could handle ?

I see plenty of non-boomers who bought homes way beyond their means. They fell for the "6-8x your salary" speel rather than stick to the tried and true 1.5-2x your salary. I read the stories of folks that walked away from their underwater homes and they were decades younger than boomers.
very true. But I guess some posters here are still living at home with Mom in the basement (like the OP), So in essence, they have no clue what they are talking about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2012, 12:53 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,461,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
You keep saying "never". Why Bernanke will just print up more money.
That's how we're operating today isn't it ?

What program has been gutted yet ? None.

Anyone who drops dead before 65 NEVER gets their money back.
Anyone who dies before their full payout comes back to them never gets their money.
It's a ponzi scheme like life insurance. Few get back what they even put in nevermind more than they put in.
I'm aware of all this, but you can't deny that paying for the Boomers through their retirement will be a big problem for those of us in Generation X, Y, and Z (I never knew about Generation Z until reading this thread...LOL).

Really, the only solution will be more taxes or more debt.

I agree with the posters who say that the Boomers have been very hard working and who complain about the work ethic of the young, but that's really a different topic altogether.

Old 01-03-2012, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Wow. A hate filled rant about how you feel you deserve someone else's job. Yet you go on about being greedy, entitled and irrational.

I'm sure those folks feel the same way about you. They spent the past 20 years paying for YOU.

You certainly sound like the typical spoiled brat of your generation. You think you know better than anyone how people should live their lives.

It's a free country. Those people can work until they die. They can remodel their house forever. They can do whatever they want.
^^This.

exactly true. no respect for their elders, young people are in for a brutal awakening.

Old 01-03-2012, 01:18 PM

373 posts, read 710,393 times
I dont get the part about people working today having to pay people who have retired... Have the money printing machines broke down?....Gezzz Im goin to get my money even if it is fresh out of the money printing machine. lol

Old 01-03-2012, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by softblueyz View Post
Fastforward 15 years from now, some out of work whiner:

Child: Are we rich?
Daddy: No honey.
Child: Why not?
Daddy: It's a long story, but to keep it short it's because of your grandparents.
Child: Is that why they live in the basement?
Daddy: I used to live there and got tired of it.
Child: So they moved down to the basement and you moved upstairs? That was nice of them.
Daddy: Actually, that's not how it happened. I called them down to the basement one day, ran up the stairs and locked them in. I'm punishing them.
Child: Punishing them for what?
Daddy: They ruined my life. They were greedy and didn't care about me. I know they loved me, because I get something in the mail from them every month.
Child: Oh.
Daddy: It's feeding time. Go put the plate at the top of the door for them and make sure you lock the door after. I'm going to go check the mail to see if grandma and grandpa's social security check arrived. Then we can go cash it and I can buy that new game I want and get that new iphone you want. Cool, huh??

I want to see the 20 yr olds in 18 yrs when they get medical bills for elderly Mom or dad, and pay cash bcs they dont "believe" in Medicare.

Old 01-03-2012, 02:05 PM

3,266 posts, read 5,633,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cletus Awreetus-Awrightus View Post
You can't blame somebody for working.
A whiner can!

Old 01-03-2012, 02:29 PM

Op lives at home.lol. Its easy to whine when you dont even live in a real world, but a deluded self-absorbed fictive world of Narcissism, where these 20 year olds think they are all that matter.

Old 01-03-2012, 02:43 PM

62 posts, read 98,922 times
My problem with boomers is they go out of there way to label and talk down on Gen X, Y, and Z, generations they raised (poorly) or in 50%+ of the cases, didn't raise at all. They also take no responsibility for the fact everything that was handed to them on a silver platter by older generations was taken for granted by them, than destroyed by them.

They call Gen Y, and Z lazy when many of them are not even old enough to legally hold jobs, or can't find jobs due in part to the baby boomers collective incompetence.

Look what boomers were given. The most prosperous time economically in American history, along with equal rights for all, and almost zero divorce and wedlock rate.

Look what they have produced, the worst economic collapse sense the great depression, dependance on foreign oil, and a cycle of divorce, fatherlessness, poverty, and violence.

When they feel like bashing 20 year olds that have been given a bad deck of cards by them and are not even old enough yet to prove themselves, I think some soul searching is needed.

Especially considering when baby boomers were around 20 most of them were living off there parents, spending that money not getting a haircut, but pot, free love, mushrooms, and acid.

Old 01-03-2012, 02:46 PM

62 posts, read 98,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by softblueyz View Post
Fastforward 15 years from now, some out of work whiner:

Child: Are we rich?
Daddy: No honey.
Child: Why not?
Daddy: It's a long story, but to keep it short it's because of your grandparents.
Child: Is that why they live in the basement?
Daddy: I used to live there and got tired of it.
Child: So they moved down to the basement and you moved upstairs? That was nice of them.
Daddy: Actually, that's not how it happened. I called them down to the basement one day, ran up the stairs and locked them in. I'm punishing them.
Child: Punishing them for what?
Daddy: They ruined my life. They were greedy and didn't care about me. I know they loved me, because I get something in the mail from them every month.
Child: Oh.
Daddy: It's feeding time. Go put the plate at the top of the door for them and make sure you lock the door after. I'm going to go check the mail to see if grandma and grandpa's social security check arrived. Then we can go cash it and I can buy that new game I want and get that new iphone you want. Cool, huh??
Nice fantasy. 50%+ of children from baby boomers don't even have 2 parents to start of with.
Helping pay bills at 15 is something most baby boomers could never comprehend. It's been a reality for there children.
Too many baby boomers are simply old overgrown spoiled brats.
Welcome to the real world.

Old 01-03-2012, 03:25 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,530,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FurbyThug View Post

Especially considering when baby boomers were around 20 most of them were living off there parents, spending that money not getting a haircut, but pot, free love, mushrooms, and acid.

Not always. At 20 years old, I was carrying a machine-gun around Quang Nam Province, South Vietnam. So were a lot of other Boomer's. Click on my screen name to see what it looked like.

What were (or are) YOU doing at 20?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies