Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2012, 07:23 AM

3,997 posts, read 4,142,400 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorfml View Post
168 hours in a week, that leave 68 to sleep. so basically their lives are work and sleep. no work/life balance. see my parents generation didn't have to do that. they could finish high school(or not) and get a job making plenty of money...mom didn't have to work and there were no extremes like 100 hour work weeks...

easy times...
Once again... it's all about what your willing to accept. You want 100K per year lifestyle, but only want to work a 50K per year schedule? That ain't gonna happen. Once again.. it's your choice.. but quit whining that your being kept down by us who do work more than 40 hours a week (yea.. easy times! ) when we have what you want...

Your wife's a doctor and your complaining?? I'll bet she puts in some hours!!!! Good Grief!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2012, 07:28 AM

1,063 posts, read 1,777,163 times
point is, 30 years ago 100 hour work weeks weren't needed for the uneducated... now they are. I'm not complaining about my situation but the economic injustice as a whole. the country is slipping into serfdom for most ppl...

Old 02-24-2012, 07:29 AM

and she doesn't ever come close to putting in 100 hours a week. that's just insane...talk about a horrible existence...

there is no lifestyle for someone who works that much...only work...

Old 02-24-2012, 07:31 AM

45,379 posts, read 60,561,367 times
Quote:
point is, 30 years ago 100 hour work weeks weren't needed... now they are. I'm not complaining about my situation but the economic injustice as a whole. the country is slipping into serfdom for most ppl...

Actually 30 years ago we were in the middle of a very sharp recession.

And you must never have worked a labor job in the late 70's prior to that recession because where I was double shifts were the norm and railroad crews were working 12 on and 8 off.

Old 02-24-2012, 07:33 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,126,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Trouble came when their kids moved out and instantly wanted to live the life they'd left behind which was provided by parents.

If we did anything wrong for you malcontents it was to make it too easy for your growing up years. Perhaps you should have been forced to live in the garage listening to the car's radio while we watched TV in the living room on the couch instead of you taking it for granted the slightly older barka lounger in the corner was yours for the evening.

Here's the deal on this tripe!

EVERY Secondary school on this continent was preaching at the top of their "Guidance Counsellor's" lungs: "you must adapt" to a vastly changing world landscape and prepare now for your future. You cannot claim you didn't see it coming. You cannot claim we did it to you. You cannot claim anything snuck up on you and deliberately waylaid your dreams of a home in the Hamptons and three cars and a boat in the driveway.

You simply cannot claim you should be anything but grateful to your parents and their generation for seeing to it you had opportunities to prepare beyond their wildest imagination. IF YOU didn't make the most of those to the best of YOUR abilities then no one is to blame but yourself.

Pointing a finger backwards should tell you and US everything we need to know about your need to assign fault and blame others for your failure. It's a poor mechanic indeed who blames his tools!

Your generation is becoming noted for this "deer-in-the-headlights", who-do-we-blame game.

Suck it up buttercup!
Using the argument of, "We had it worse than you, suck it up" isn't going to do anything for our country or our economy. That will simply lead to us following down the same path. Which is a path headed towards us not remaining a country.

I believe the point that my generation is trying to make is that things have changed, and its a completely different ballgame now.

You can describe as many "work horror" stories as you want, but it does nothing to solve our problems. The Boomers are lucky they didn't have World Wars to fight. The Americans during that time were lucky that they weren't German Jews. White Americans are lucky they weren't slaves back in the 1800's. Etc, etc, etc.

Simply saying, "we had it worse" does nothing to solve our problems. What will solve our problems is outlining policies that can be implemented to fix our economic system.

Old 02-24-2012, 07:34 AM

hmmm we lived in Houston...things didn't start getting bad until around 1985ish. before that it was gravy...

Old 02-24-2012, 07:41 AM

3,997 posts, read 4,142,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
I believe the point that my generation is trying to make is that things have changed, and its a completely different ballgame now.
Yes, it is a different ballgame now. It was a different ballgame when we were that age too. You don't have to remind us of that time and time again. We adapted. Ya'll will have to too. And.. we'll be glad to help you do that. But you'll only get our sympathy and help when you agree that part of the problem is helping yourselves. Will give you a hand up... we just don't want to give you a hand out...

Quote:
You can describe as many "work horror" stories as you want, but it does nothing to solve our problems. The Boomers are lucky they didn't have World Wars to fight. The Americans during that time were lucky that they weren't German Jews. White Americans are lucky they weren't slaves back in the 1800's. Etc, etc, etc.
I'm sure our Korean and Vietnam war veterans might have something to say about that!! (Thank you by the way!!!)

Quote:
Simply saying, "we had it worse" does nothing to solve our problems. What will solve our problems is outlining policies that can be implemented to fix our economic system.
With this I think we all agree... no matter what the generation...

Old 02-24-2012, 08:23 AM
jw2

2,028 posts, read 3,266,083 times
We boomers failed. Not as productive members of society, oh no, we created the information age, the largest change to society since the industrial age. Where we failed is raising our children.

We never wanted them to fail so we hovered over them like helicopters blazing all obstacles in their path. If a teacher criticized our child, we found fault in the teacher. We didn't punish for bad behavior, we tried to reason with the kid instead. We took away losing in such things as sports to not hurt their delicate feelings.

What we received out of this is an entire generation of kids that don't know how to win. They don't know how to strive for success. They don't even know what to do when they hit an obstacle because they never had to before.

When I was young, minimum wage wasn't meant to be a living wage. You had to work to move yourself up in the working world to get the lifestyle you wanted.

When I was young, we idolized the successful and wanted to be like them. We didn't vilify the successful and want them to be like us.

When I was young, we were responsible for our own actions, from a very early age. Our offspring still aren't responsible for their actions. From Obama on down.

When I was young, we had our own opinions. There were things we hated and things we liked. We weren't told what we are supposed to like and hate. We did not form our opinions based on what we read on the Internet 10 minutes earlier.

Old 02-24-2012, 08:52 AM

41,957 posts, read 75,183,468 times
Quote:
btw...50k a year aint ****...
I manage on that just fine, thankyouverymuch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Trouble came when their kids moved out and instantly wanted to live the life they'd left behind which was provided by parents.
My parents were as poor as church mice when they got married in 1957 -- and even poorer after I came along, LOL -- but they eventually earned more money, were able to buy a house, put my sister and I though college, etc. etc. They certainly didn't start off that way. Hardly anyone does. My first job gained with my shiny four-year degree paid me $7,500 a year -- enough for a studio apartment, an old car, and a couple of beers a couple nights a week. It's the way the world works.

Didn't we harp on our kids about how rough we had it when we were growing up, just like our parents did? Maybe we should have told more stories of walking to school in the snow (because Dad took the car to work and Mom didn't have one) or only having three pair of shoes (sneakers, school shoes and Sunday shoes) and only one TV and one bathroom.

Quote:
point is, 30 years ago 100 hour work weeks weren't needed for the uneducated
Thirty years ago, the nation was in a grips of a deep recession and economic upheaval that began in the 70s with the Arab oil embargo. Unemployment was upwards of 15 percent in some areas, most notably the industrial cities where factories were closing down faster than a flea jumps from cat to cat. The harsh winters of 1977 and 1978 prompted more than a few northern factories to move south. Folks that had been planning to follow their parents into those manufacturing and industrial jobs after school -- both blue- and white-collar -- were suddenly SOL. The uneducated -- or anyone else -- couldn't find 20 hours of work a week, let alone 100.

Old 02-24-2012, 09:04 AM

17,401 posts, read 11,973,897 times
Quote:
168 hours in a week, that leave 68 to sleep. so basically their lives are work and sleep. no work/life balance. see my parents generation didn't have to do that. they could finish high school(or not) and get a job making plenty of money...mom didn't have to work and there were no extremes like 100 hour work weeks...

easy times...
How old are you, then? My parents generation DID have to do that. My mom didn't work, but my dad worked full time as a cop, and TONS of extra jobs to make ends meet. He worked most nights and weekends.

Hardly easy, but he did what it took to support his family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies