Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Prostitution be legalised?
Yes 71 80.68%
No 17 19.32%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2012, 04:58 PM

37,461 posts, read 61,388,499 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
Pretty large and illogical leap between working in fast food and working in fast sex. ...
No not really.

People sell their ethics and dignity every day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2012, 05:00 PM

6,721 posts, read 5,201,401 times
Yes, with appropriate health screening and regulation.

Old 01-02-2012, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogead View Post
Prostitution is legal in some form in most countries throughout the world, including our neighbors to the north and to the south. Most countries have realized that trying to control prostitution is not only intrusive, it is futile.

In The United States, the only two cultural movements that routinely argue against prostitution, are the religious right and radical feminism. The religious right argues that prostitution is a moral abomination. Radical feminists claim that it is a form of social exploitation. These two groups share a self-righteous belief that it is their right to control the consensual sexual behavior of others.

Virtually all of the societal negatives associated with prostitution, are a result of its illegal status. Removing prostitution activity from criminal law would allow for the creation of a safer and less-exploitative environment for prostitutes to work in.

In 2000, Sweden kowtowed to feminist pressure, and passed a draconian prostitution law. The argument was that this was needed to address "human trafficking". The "Swedish Model" as it's called, makes the purchasing of sex illegal...while it retains the legal status of selling sex. Sweden remains proud of what they see as a progressive law. However, prostitution hasn't been eliminated in Sweden, it has merely been driven underground; making it far more dangerous for the prostitutes. In fact, the biggest domestic critics of Sweden's law are the sex workers themselves. To the extent that sex trafficking was taking place, that too has only been pushed out of sight or across borders.
I suspect this 'link' between prostitution and human-trafficking, is very much like the link between marijuana and communism.

Both of theses links have been touted a lot at various times.

I think they are fairly weak links.

Old 01-02-2012, 05:53 PM

2,526 posts, read 3,051,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
I suspect this 'link' between prostitution and human-trafficking, is very much like the link between marijuana and communism.

Both of theses links have been touted a lot at various times.

I think they are fairly weak links.
I'd go further than that, and say that there is no rational link whatsoever. "Human [sexual] trafficking", by definition, requires that an individual be transported against their will, or under deceptive circumstances; for the purpose of being forced into providing sex in exchange for money, which exclusively enriches a third party.

There is no doubt that a small number of trafficked individuals are forced into sexual slavery. However, to equate prostitution with human trafficking, is like equating housekeeping with slavery. The best way to address human trafficking (most of which is non-sexual) is to have aggressive enforcement and prosecution of existing human trafficking laws.

Old 01-02-2012, 06:21 PM

1,738 posts, read 2,078,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_windwalker View Post
Hmmmm......

Would "Rent-a-Wife" be considered to be prostitution?????.....
No, you're getting confused with maid-service
Seriously, I think it should be run like a business too. Taxed, and and under OSHA and everything

Old 01-02-2012, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogead View Post
I'd go further than that, and say that there is no rational link whatsoever. "Human [sexual] trafficking", by definition, requires that an individual be transported against their will, or under deceptive circumstances; for the purpose of being forced into providing sex in exchange for money, which exclusively enriches a third party.

There is no doubt that a small number of trafficked individuals are forced into sexual slavery. However, to equate prostitution with human trafficking, is like equating housekeeping with slavery. The best way to address human trafficking (most of which is non-sexual) is to have aggressive enforcement and prosecution of existing human trafficking laws.
Right.

Which is just as plausible as the argument that anyone who smokes pot will become a communist.

Old 01-02-2012, 06:48 PM

1,027 posts, read 1,971,084 times
Yes.

Why?

Because it's one of my dang business what consenting adults want to do.

Old 01-02-2012, 07:17 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,442,508 times
What any two consenting adults do, is really none of mine nor your business. Between two adults, they know what they are doing. If the Man is married this is between his wife and himself.

I know many people who truthfully feel that if made legal, would solve so many of the problems that go along with prostitution.

Yes it is legal in some States, but not in most. And there is crime associated with prostitution and drugs. Even in Nevada, it is only legal in some counties, way out in the boonies.

I do not want a little red whorehosue in my neighborhood, or close to school age chidlren.

But i have heard pros and cons, and so many feel that all of the problems associated with prostitution, would diminish if made legal.

Last edited by california-jewel; 01-02-2012 at 08:24 PM..

Old 01-02-2012, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyVaz1009 View Post
Yes.

Why?

Because it's one of my dang business what consenting adults want to do.
No, no, no.

My sense of ethics is more important to me, then your freedoms. I WANT to govern over what you can do and how you do it. [/sarcasm]

Old 01-02-2012, 07:38 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,633,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
two words: Human Trafficking.

No. It shouldn't be legalized. Prostitution should not be a viable government regulated career choice.
But how are people supposed to have sex who aren't good looking and charming enough to get it for free? Some people like that don't want to do without all the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies