U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2012, 01:33 AM

1,615 posts, read 2,441,158 times

Advertisements

why do so many conservatives take the scientific fact of darwinism to mean that we are to be hard and mean to people to weed out the weak? this has nothing to do with REAL evolution. perhaps religion is needed for people who simply don't understand kindness in an ACTUAL way. perhaps these are the people religion was meant for.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2012, 01:39 AM

11,531 posts, read 9,618,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rlarson21 View Post
why do so many conservatives take the scientific fact of darwinism to mean that we are to be hard and mean to people to weed out the weak? this has nothing to do with REAL evolution. perhaps religion is needed for people who simply don't understand kindness in an ACTUAL way. perhaps these are the people religion was meant for.
Social Darwinism is a gross distortion and misrepresentation of Darwinism.

Generally two types of people support Social Darwinism, the first type are the ones that know it's bs but use it to justify the exploitation of the under class and minorities. The second type are less intelligent people suckered into buying the theory, who ironically would not survive in the animal kingdom if left to their own devices.

Old 01-02-2012, 01:59 AM

9,986 posts, read 12,789,920 times
I find it interesting that many of the perpetually outraged conservative posters here claim to be Christian, but seem to show contempt for the poor,etc. Jesus was all about empathy and giving to the community; I suspect he would have a dim view of capitalism, where money is elevated as the primary sign of value and success. Many posts imply a sort of social darwinism, where an unemployed person does not deserve health care, etc. Perhaps it is just the outrage against government, but what is government other than a peoples' system for taking care of one another?

Puzzling. I'd love to knock back a glass of wine with J.C. and hear some good advice on this topic. I struggle between being kind-hearted, and annoyed as hell at freeloaders. I rarely give them I a dime, but then I think of the Good Samaritan, and feel ashamed. He would no doubt have some wise words.

Old 01-02-2012, 02:00 AM

6,073 posts, read 5,850,232 times
Why do people who want to divide up the fruits of my hard work pro-rata among everybody else put up the straw man of Social Darwinism to justify their position?

If one supports the idea that we shouldn't let people starve to death (hence food stamps) or freeze to death (so we have government housing) or die from lack of medical attention (therefore, medicare and medicaid), one is not a social darwinist, right?

So I'm not a social darwinist, and you have a problem with the idea that we must be of value to the rest of society in order to thrive. If I am missing anything, please reply.

Old 01-02-2012, 08:26 AM

5,960 posts, read 5,164,829 times
Conservatism is not the same as libertarianism.

You can't argue that it is only fair that the people who work hardest and EARN the greatest rewards from hard work should dictate how those rewards are distributed.

There is a moral obligation in society to not leech off of those who sacrifice the most and take the most risk (small business owners, for example).

Life is about survival.

Period.

Old 01-02-2012, 08:31 AM

26,979 posts, read 14,348,490 times
The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly, is to fill the world with fools.
Herbert Spencer

[color=#000000]

Last edited by picmod; 01-10-2014 at 02:26 PM..

Old 01-02-2012, 08:51 AM

4,071 posts, read 4,519,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clb10 View Post
Conservatism is not the same as libertarianism.

You can't argue that it is only fair that the people who work hardest and EARN the greatest rewards from hard work should dictate how those rewards are distributed.

There is a moral obligation in society to not leech off of those who sacrifice the most and take the most risk (small business owners, for example).

Life is about survival.

Period.
Yikes, this Conservative just justified evil. Those that work the hardest should dictate how those rewards are distributed? You've just described most of history's worst "leaders." In your world, why wouldn't I take everything you have if I can? If I work hard to do it, I deserve it, right?

Back to Social Darwinism, I beleive I'm better than you, I believe I can get away with ruining your way of life and polluting your whole town making it uninhabitable. It will take work, risk and sacrifice so I can do it according to your Conservative ethos. Good luck to you. And since you're for small gov't (which would trickle down to your local police dept and the military) I don't think anything can stop me... in this USA you are longing for.

Old 01-02-2012, 09:05 AM

932 posts, read 1,087,573 times
Adolf Hitler believed in social Darwinism, say no more. It's an extremely dangerous theory, in that if it were to become mainstream, it could lead to the extermination of millions of "lesser" people. Anyone in favor of social Darwinism is most likely a sociopath. It seems that certain types of sociopathic behavior are not only accepted, but glorified. That in itself is scary.

Old 01-02-2012, 09:15 AM

5,960 posts, read 5,164,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
Yikes, this Conservative just justified evil. Those that work the hardest should dictate how those rewards are distributed? You've just described most of history's worst "leaders." In your world, why wouldn't I take everything you have if I can? If I work hard to do it, I deserve it, right?

Back to Social Darwinism, I beleive I'm better than you, I believe I can get away with ruining your way of life and polluting your whole town making it uninhabitable. It will take work, risk and sacrifice so I can do it according to your Conservative ethos. Good luck to you. And since you're for small gov't (which would trickle down to your local police dept and the military) I don't think anything can stop me... in this USA you are longing for.
I bolded the word "take" in your response.

I notice that liberals don't know the difference between "earn" and "take".

You believe hard work and the receiving of reward for that hard work is "evil".

How sad.

Another "conservative" concept is "property rights". Try to learn a little about that...

Old 01-02-2012, 09:48 AM

26,979 posts, read 14,348,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glasvegas View Post
Adolf Hitler believed in social Darwinism, say no more.
No, he did not. Social Darwinism believes government should not assist or hinder people in their pursuit of happiness. Social Darwinism emphasizes individual liberty, that was not Hitler's thing.

I suggest reading Herbert Spencer, the man who coined the term "survival of the fittest". Social Darwinists believe man should have liberty to behave as they wish and that those who engage in folly will suffer the consequences of their folly and that is the way it should be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies