Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2012, 06:49 AM

8,732 posts, read 6,782,122 times

Advertisements

I also don't think people need to be "educated" about black history in this day and age, nor be quick dismiss it or saying that black people use it as an "excuse", unless one doesn't want to or can't acknowledge how their own race was as much a part of that history.

I saw a video with Bernie Mac doing stand up and he made the statement: "I've lived in this skin all my life". How can someone of any race, gender or religion, tell another person who doesn't share the same, how they should or shouldn't think, feel or do, especially when backgrounds are totally opposite?

When JFK was elected president I'm sure that many Catholics saw that as a "victory", and more than likely some Catholics voted on his religion first. Others may have voted Republican, but did it divide Catholics? No.

If Hillary Clinton ran a different campaign - speaking to the people of their fears rather than of hope, using Bill as a crutch in her campaign making it appear that she couldn't stand on her own two feet, and spending more time bickering with everyone, and when she realized it was working against her she used a different strategy, but too late. She very well could have run for President and won, and I'm sure that she would have gotten many votes by women based on the fact that it would have been a first and it would have made history. Many would say she got the vote because of women. I'm sure there would have been women who would have voted Republican. Would that divide women? No.

It appears to me that a line has been line drawn down the black population based on party, creating division. Who exactly is creating this division?

I think too many people vote based on their party alone. Is it because the idea of thinking independent to too difficult, but easier to follow the herd led by their party? Unfortunately at the end of the day we are left with are limited to 2 choices and having to pick one and thinking who is the lesser of the two evils, as some have said, tells you what state this country is in. I don't think a President up for re-election should given an automatic pass without anyone from his party challeging him. Although it's not law, it's a given, and that "given" should be removed and let a President run for re-election with opponents from his own party. But it's that whole "loyalty" thing isn't it?

Both parties Bush, Bush, Obama - a total of 12 years - had the opportunity to make this country better while in the Oval office. This country seems worse off and will continue to decline. I don't see Obama doing any better because the Republicans will never work with him and Romney, who seens to be the favorite will economically damage this country further. So I guess we will have to wait until 2016.

Old 01-11-2012, 08:36 AM

5,960 posts, read 5,546,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadoken View Post
And I'll go right ahead and reject this argument that black people are unable to exercise their choice in the vote booth because of some sort of massive beatdown that they'll receive from other black people, who have no real way of knowing their party or voting record.

I have a friend that grew up in a small town in Pennsylvania, is an avid Catholic, and likes to take his gun to the range for skeet-shooting. it's been almost four years since Obama's "bitter" remark, and the guy *still* remembers it, and holds it against the president. And I really can't blame him.

So why am I supposed to overlook decades of "democrat plantation slave", "You just want welfare/foodstamps", "You're a criminal" and similar obviously demeaning rhetoric that rely on century-old stereotypes, always delivered to *white* audiences? This is basically all the GOP has had to say about black voters for decades, and it's lead to them being rejected by black people en masse, for more than a generation. Sorry, when you're a politician, it's your job to shape your rhetoric to attract voters. When I hear that garbage, all I hear is "I don't want black people to vote for me". And at that point, your "fair look" is over. I don't care if they're bigots, if they're *pandering* to bigots, or if they're just totally unaware of how obviously racist they sound. I don't want them in office regardless.
So African-Americans, in your view, have only two political choices:

Republicans: KKK, Skinhead Nazis who want to lynch blacks

Democrats: False promises, humiliating handouts, "programs" that serve to boost the income of government contractor political donors at the expense of poorly educated blacks, microscopic improvements in the lives of urban blacks, growing prison populations due to democrat appointed judges, continued poor environmental standards in inner-cities, crumbling union-run schools of lower learning and a cool prez with a killer smile.

No wonder so many people feel sorry for black folks!

I wish y'all luck...

Old 01-11-2012, 08:39 PM

3,417 posts, read 3,073,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clb10 View Post

Democrats: False promises, humiliating handouts, "programs" that serve to boost the income of government contractor political donors at the expense of poorly educated blacks, microscopic improvements in the lives of urban blacks, growing prison populations due to democrat appointed judges, continued poor environmental standards in inner-cities, crumbling union-run schools of lower learning and a cool prez with a killer smile.

I wish y'all luck...
It took you 35 pages to figure that out?

Old 01-11-2012, 09:10 PM

1,615 posts, read 2,575,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valerie d View Post
A different conversation and I have observations of both but I think each person that makes this statement is conflicted between "birth trait" and "hedonism".
right what does hedonism have to do with sexual orientation?

Old 01-11-2012, 09:27 PM

4,050 posts, read 3,959,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clb10 View Post

I wish y'all luck...
Thanks!!!!...does this mean "we" won't be hearing from you anymore???..

Old 01-11-2012, 10:38 PM

200 posts, read 278,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Factsplease View Post
Racism is such a turn off. Telling people that they're are incapable of independent thought and that they are mental slaves isn't going to get them to vote in your favor. If a Republican POTUS hadn't used the N word, or maybe if a Republican POTUS hadn't used a black man to scare whites into voting for him (the list goes on), maybe more blacks would take them seriously. Oh and we can't ignore the constant insinuations about food stamps, afirmative action and welfare.

We all know that the first thing a racist sees is skin color....we don't have time the time to constantly educate ignorant racists and prove ourselves to people who hold preconceived notions, yet so many Conservatives think we should have to. And to add insult to injury, it is rare that a non-racist Republican speak out about the racism within the party.

Most blacks aren't about to vote for a party that is known for racism - just like so many of you like to point out, it used to be Southern Democrats, but what you fail to acknowledge every time you point this out is that the tables have turned and the Republican party of that time was more like the Democrats of today than the Republicans of today. If you want more blacks to switch parties, cut out insults and bullying, and make some changes within the party that might make it appeal to more Americans.

I live in a Red state. Are the whites here who voted Rick Perry in so many times on a plantation too? Are Southern Whites on a plantation? Are they sheep, they certainly had no problem switching parties from Democrat to Republican after Blacks did the opposite. What does that say about them? The racist Democrats that you all like to keep talking about switched parties around the same time MLK encouraged blacks to vote democrat and are now racist Republicans.

x2

Old 01-11-2012, 10:44 PM

200 posts, read 278,930 times
For starters, it kills me that the general idea of what black people are and stand for is poverty and social ills. So there are about 21% percent of the AA community on assistance or in a bad place in life. NO ONE is talking about the other percentage of people who aren't. So basically after slavery the AA's where **** on for decades and you have about 70% of them rising out of the ashes to make a life for themselves with or without public assistance. That says a lot right there.

Also,like it or not we are all xenophobes in some kind of way. i think when the majority of you think of black people you think of the images (of course the bad ones) that you see on the news or the kids you see waiting at the bus stop or something which account for about 5% of any black community anywhere. OR you stereotype certain people because they are not... properly assimilated to your liking. There are things that come with us as a culture. There are things that we are just going to do that DO NOT include robbing and stealing. (im talking about the way we dress, talk, walk, what kind of cars we drive, shows we watch, things we eat etc) Why associate those things with what you see in the news? Of course it's because of what the media feeds you. People always want to throw up Obama or Oprah as the bastion of all things successful and black. DAMN. ALL OF US HAVE TO GET TO THAT LEVEL FOR THE STEREOTYPES TO BE DISMANTLED? What about your perfectly normal black co worker? What about the black teacher or professor at your school? or do you consider these folks to be RADICAL exceptions to the norm? does "oh he/she is one of the better ones good for her/him" come to mind when you see that person? Please rid yourselves of that it's exhausting to hear as a AA.
As i said before 70% of us are doing just fine. The remaining 20% (im just rounding as i rant) are doing what they have to do to survive. Those are the last victims of slavery/jim crow, assassination of leaders, squashing of social movements by the government, harsh laws against small crimes, police brutality, racial profiling, red lining by banks, white flight etc. With any society your going to have the have and the have nots. But by god stop looking at the have nots and lumping them in with us as a whole. Considering the circumstances it's utterly surprising that there aren't more of us in dire straights. May be hard for you to digest but most of us ARE NOT ON WELFARE OR WAITING FOR A HAND OUT. Let some of you tell it more than half of us are complaining and wanting free stuff. It's just not happening. Hell we're still trying to pay off or mortgage and other loans with higher interest rates. just... like... you... are. We can be monlithic and vote for whomsoever we so damn well please.

GOD BLESS AMERICA

(from another thread)

Old 01-12-2012, 07:31 AM

6,822 posts, read 14,034,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stationplay View Post
For starters, it kills me that the general idea of what black people are and stand for is poverty and social ills. So there are about 21% percent of the AA community on assistance or in a bad place in life. NO ONE is talking about the other percentage of people who aren't. So basically after slavery the AA's where **** on for decades and you have about 70% of them rising out of the ashes to make a life for themselves with or without public assistance. That says a lot right there.

Also,like it or not we are all xenophobes in some kind of way. i think when the majority of you think of black people you think of the images (of course the bad ones) that you see on the news or the kids you see waiting at the bus stop or something which account for about 5% of any black community anywhere. OR you stereotype certain people because they are not... properly assimilated to your liking. There are things that come with us as a culture. There are things that we are just going to do that DO NOT include robbing and stealing. (im talking about the way we dress, talk, walk, what kind of cars we drive, shows we watch, things we eat etc) Why associate those things with what you see in the news? Of course it's because of what the media feeds you. People always want to throw up Obama or Oprah as the bastion of all things successful and black. DAMN. ALL OF US HAVE TO GET TO THAT LEVEL FOR THE STEREOTYPES TO BE DISMANTLED? What about your perfectly normal black co worker? What about the black teacher or professor at your school? or do you consider these folks to be RADICAL exceptions to the norm? does "oh he/she is one of the better ones good for her/him" come to mind when you see that person? Please rid yourselves of that it's exhausting to hear as a AA.
As i said before 70% of us are doing just fine. The remaining 20% (im just rounding as i rant) are doing what they have to do to survive. Those are the last victims of slavery/jim crow, assassination of leaders, squashing of social movements by the government, harsh laws against small crimes, police brutality, racial profiling, red lining by banks, white flight etc. With any society your going to have the have and the have nots. But by god stop looking at the have nots and lumping them in with us as a whole. Considering the circumstances it's utterly surprising that there aren't more of us in dire straights. May be hard for you to digest but most of us ARE NOT ON WELFARE OR WAITING FOR A HAND OUT. Let some of you tell it more than half of us are complaining and wanting free stuff. It's just not happening. Hell we're still trying to pay off or mortgage and other loans with higher interest rates. just... like... you... are. We can be monlithic and vote for whomsoever we so damn well please.

GOD BLESS AMERICA

(from another thread)

Very well said and this is a thread ender.

Old 01-12-2012, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reconmark View Post
Thanks!!!!...does this mean "we" won't be hearing from you anymore???..
As long as you demand my tax money to pay for social "programs" to "assist" "your" downtrodden you will be hearing from me and others who think.

If you want me and others who think to shut up then demand an end to Affirmative Action and special set-asides for "low-income historically marginalized citizens who seek special government loans to purchase a home".

Old 01-12-2012, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stationplay View Post

GOD BLESS AMERICA

(from another thread)
It would be much harder to think negatively of black people if a large percentage of black people did not present themselves in a way that supports negative perceptions.

The same could be said of any race or ethnic group but, as far as I can tell, it is only the law-abiding, mature and educated citizens of the African-American culture who embrace those within who "act a fool".

All other cultures shun said people and aren't afraid to criticize those within their culture who "show their a$$".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies