Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2012, 06:35 PM

5,376 posts, read 5,345,485 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctrain View Post
Read the posts that give quotes & links. Their own site identifies themself as a union. Why are you quibbling?

I've just never seen them sitting across from the schools administration in contract talks.
Maybe they do somewhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2012, 07:34 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,673,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plannine View Post
I've just never seen them sitting across from the schools administration in contract talks.
Maybe they do somewhere.
Me either...not in Virginia.

They lobby for teachers and that is all. Every group has lobbyists, that's how our political system works.

A lot of Virginia teachers join for the benefits...discounts on lots of stuff, cheap professional liability insurance, legal representation, etc. It's worth the 30 bucks or so a month to a lot of people.

Old 01-02-2012, 07:43 PM

3,064 posts, read 2,638,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post

A lot of Virginia teachers join for the benefits...discounts on lots of stuff, cheap professional liability insurance, legal representation, etc. It's worth the 30 bucks or so a month to a lot of people.
Or maybe for the copy of Saul Alinsky's "Rules for Radicals" that they promote on their website.

Old 01-02-2012, 07:48 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,261,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrugalYankee View Post
Weasal Zippers!

Now THAT is a reliable source of information!
I see that you didn't see the same thing on the Big Government link a while back there. I would say that you don't mind this kind of crap being taught in our elementary schools.

Not accusing you, because I don't think you are young enough, but I do think that we have some younger people posting here who have been exposed to crap like that in elementary school.

Old 01-02-2012, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
NEA - Virginia (http://www.nea.org/home/3733.htm - broken link)
The Virginia Education Association is affiliated with the NEA. VEA - Virginia Education Association
That is what makes me wonder about this being in Virginia. As long as the NEA is involved you have union representing the teachers in a state. My wife kept her membership in NEA even after I dropped the slobs for giving money to Carter illegally in that sad year. I demanded my money back from them since they didn't ask the membership for permission to give him money to campaign on. That was the beginning of the end for education since Carter promised them a Secretary of Education and one of his first tricks was to have that place created.

The NEA is leaning so hard left that I wonder just how they can continue. They did have an outstanding protection for teachers in case of one of those sad suits for treating kids wrong, no matter what they did.

Old 01-02-2012, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
But the NEA is a union. And the largest labor union in the US. Bigger than the AFL-CIO or teamsters or longshoremen.

National Education Association - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The National Education Association (NEA) is the largest professional organization and largest labor union in the United States,[2][3] representing public school teachers and other support personnel, faculty and staffers at colleges and universities, retired educators, and college students preparing to become teachers. The NEA has 3.2 million members and is headquartered in Washington, D.C. With affiliate organizations in every state and in more than 14,000 communities across the nation, it employs over 550 staff and had a budget of more than $307 million for the 2006–2007 fiscal year. Dennis Van Roekel is the NEA's current president.
So few people know about how many people the NEA has as members. Nice try to tell more of them, but how many will see your words? Not nearly enough.

Old 01-02-2012, 08:50 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,673,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
...The NEA is leaning so hard left that I wonder just how they can continue. They did have an outstanding protection for teachers in case of one of those sad suits for treating kids wrong, no matter what they did.
Like I said, that's the reason that most Virginia teachers join NEA...I'm talking about the ones that do join, many do not. It's the cheap legal protection.

They'd sure never make it as a union in Virginia. Every year for 3 or 4 years, they have asked for a COLA for teachers and every year the school board has said NO. End of story. Who would pay dues for that?

Old 01-02-2012, 10:15 PM

3,064 posts, read 2,638,264 times
Well, the school district is defending this indoctrination. They are sticking with their story that the eight year old children wrote these lyrics, themselves.

"But despite the backlash, Albermale County school district is standing behind the song, claiming the children chose and wrote the lyrics themselves."

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/va-s...art-of-the-99/

Old 01-03-2012, 06:03 AM

20,329 posts, read 19,918,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrugalYankee View Post
Weasal Zippers!

Now THAT is a reliable source of information!
So it never really happened then.

That's certainly a relief, isn't it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies