Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2012, 06:46 AM

41,478 posts, read 59,590,047 times

Advertisements

President Obama is not interested in your guns. The Department of Homeland Security is a law unto itself and no longer answers to the president, certainly wants to be the only, along with other Federal Law enforcement, people allowed to have any weapons in this country. They reason that any armed civilian is a potential terrorist and a threat to Homeland Security officers. HS also is trying to keep track of people that believe Constitutional rights are more important than the security provided by HS and their TSA thugs.

The Motto of DHS is; we will keep you safe. Frightened, unarmed, at home in front of your TVs bombarded by advertizing just like good people everywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2012, 06:48 AM

76,997 posts, read 47,331,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
As Obama told the Brady woman some time ago they are working hard "under the radar" to get his anti-gun agenda into place. He is appointing only judges who agree with him on the subject and there seems to be a very good chance that if he is elected again both Scalia and Kennedy will have retired because both will be over 80 before his second term ends. He backs the UN Small Arms treaty completely and that should prove to the media that he is not moderate at all on the gun question and the 2nd Amendment.

Yes, this should be one of the major planks of any plank from the Republicans for November, 2012.

President Obama's Anti-Gun Agenda Shows No Sign Of Stopping | Fox News
His anti-gun agenda shows no signs of stopping, but it doesn't show any signs of starting either.

Old 01-06-2012, 07:03 AM

Romney's views on guns:

1994: "I did not “line up with the NRA”

Campaigning for the Senate in 1994, Romney said he favored strong gun laws and did not “line up with the NRA.” He signed up for “lifetime membership” of the NRA in August 2006 while pondering a presidential run, praising the group for “doing good things” and “supporting the right to bear arms.” Source: GovWatch on 2008 campaign: “Top Ten Flip-Flops” , Feb 5, 2008

Support the 2nd Amendment AND the assault weapon ban

I would have signed the assault weapon ban that came to his desk. I said I would have supported that and signed a similar bill in our state. It was a bill worked out, by the way, between pro-gun lobby and anti-gun lobby individuals. Both sides of the issue came together and found a way to provide relaxation in licensing requirements and allow more people to--to have guns for their own legal purposes. So we signed that in Massachusetts, and I’d support that at the federal level. It did not pass at the federal level. I do not believe we need new legislation. I do not support any new legislation of an assault weapon ban nature, including that against semiautomatic weapons. We have laws in place that, if they’re implemented & enforced, will provide the protection and the safety of the American people. I do support the right of individuals to bear arms, whether for hunting purposes or for protection purposes or any other reasons. That’s the right that people have
Source: 2008 GOP debate in Boca Raton Florida , Jan 24, 2008

I support the work of the NRA, but disagree sometimes

We should check on the backgrounds of people who are trying to purchase guns. We also should keep weapons of unusual lethality from being on the street. And finally, we should go after people who use guns in the commission of crimes or illegally, but we should not interfere with the right of law-abiding citizens to own guns, for their own personal protection or hunting or any other lawful purpose. I support the work of the NRA. I’m a member of the NRA. But do we line up on every issue? No, we don’t.

Old 01-06-2012, 07:53 AM

2,930 posts, read 2,217,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
His anti-gun agenda shows no signs of stopping, but it doesn't show any signs of starting either.
Apparently you didn't read the link.

Here is a direct quote and another link (which you probably will not read,..or will readily dismiss):
Obama: "I don’t believe that people should be able to own guns.”

John Lott's website
If one watchs what is happening with appointments, maybe one can connect the dots. Trying to enlighten someone whose mind is already make up,..is mostly a waste of time. But, it never hurts to post an old link which describes the Obama from pre-presidential days. Never can tell who might read the links.

You guys remind me of of the incremental approach to catching wild hogs. By the time you realize you are in a trap,...it's too late.

Old 01-06-2012, 08:27 AM

13,673 posts, read 8,954,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sol11 View Post

Here is a direct quote and another link (which you probably will not read,..or will readily dismiss):

John Lott's website
If one watchs what is happening with appointments, maybe one can connect the dots. Trying to enlighten someone whose mind is already make up,..is mostly a waste of time. But, it never hurts to post an old link which describes the Obama from pre-presidential days. Never can tell who might read the links.

You guys remind me of of the incremental approach to catching wild hogs. By the time you realize you are in a trap,...it's too late.

Note that in the link provided there is absolutely no corroborating evidence. Mr. Lott claims that he met President Obama several years ago, and that in response to a question the president responded as cited above.

However, I met President Obama five years ago. I asked him "What is your position on gun control?" and he responded, "I am a firm believer in the Second Amendment. Not only do I support private ownership of weapons, I actively encourage all Americans to go out today and purchase the gun of their choice".

So, we have a conflict. What Mr. Lott says Obama said, and what I, Legalsea, says Obama said.

Old 01-06-2012, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
Note that in the link provided there is absolutely no corroborating evidence. Mr. Lott claims that he met President Obama several years ago, and that in response to a question the president responded as cited above.

However, I met President Obama five years ago. I asked him "What is your position on gun control?" and he responded, "I am a firm believer in the Second Amendment. Not only do I support private ownership of weapons, I actively encourage all Americans to go out today and purchase the gun of their choice".

So, we have a conflict. What Mr. Lott says Obama said, and what I, Legalsea, says Obama said.
You didn't bother to read the linked site. Had you read it, you would realize that it is not a pro-gun website, but addresses a myriad of subjects. One has to ask why the quote attributed to Obama has NEVER been challenged by the Obama camp, and why Obama's own website states that guns are acceptable for "hunting and target practice". Secondly, why would the author lie about his conversation?

Old 01-06-2012, 09:05 AM

16,601 posts, read 15,542,514 times
The linked site was to an article Mr. Lott wrote for Fox News in 2008.

So far, Fox has been the only source cited, meaning that only anti-Obama views have been documented. Somebody thinks I should be the one to go find the unbiased information, but I didn't raise the issue and start this thread. only watch gun issues for entertainment. I haven't heard a bout any new gun laws, so I simply asked for the basis of the position that "Obama is trying to take your guns away." Nobody has any facts (other than Fox news reports, which are NOT unbiased).

Old 01-06-2012, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
The linked site was to an article Mr. Lott wrote for Fox News in 2008.

So far, Fox has been the only source cited, meaning that only anti-Obama views have been documented. Somebody thinks I should be the one to go find the unbiased information, but I didn't raise the issue and start this thread. only watch gun issues for entertainment. I haven't heard a bout any new gun laws, so I simply asked for the basis of the position that "Obama is trying to take your guns away." Nobody has any facts (other than Fox news reports, which are NOT unbiased).
How many witnesses are necessary before a quote becomes believable? Ten,..twenty,...a hundred? Again I ask,...why would Mr. Lott lie? He obviously makes his living through writing, but does not focus strictly on the gun issue. Mr. Lott addresses untold issues of current interest.

I appears that "if it is anti-Obama,..then it just ain't true".......

Old 01-06-2012, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sol11 View Post

John Lott's website

You can connect the dots any way you want, and read all the opinon pieces and out of context quotes you want, but I prefer to stick to facts and reality.

My gun rights have increased in the last three years, and are looking to increase more this year.

Who would you vote for if it is between Romney and Obama? Of you care about your gun rights, you'll pull for Obama.

I will not vote for either one.

Last edited by Finn_Jarber; 01-06-2012 at 10:13 AM..

Old 01-06-2012, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
You can connect the dots any way you want, and read all the opinon pieces and out of context quotes you want, but I prefer to stick to facts and reality.

My gun rights have increased in the last three years, and are looking to increase more this year.

Who would you vote for if it is between Romney and Obama? Of you care about your gun right, you'll pull for Obama.

I will not vote for either one.
Remember what was written about catching wild hogs........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies