Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2012, 08:59 PM

994 posts, read 1,592,320 times

Advertisements

I normally don't comment on political or religious topics online, but given the sheer activity of political posts on City-Data, I felt I had to add my comments on political affairs in the United States.

What catches my attention the most is the endless conflict in American politics nowadays; while opposing views aren't new among the United States aren't new, the rhetoric and intensity has increased, especially in the last decade or so. All over the entire internet and in public there seems to be the concensus that it is the end of the world and it's a matter of "us vs them", that if there is any compromise or backing down of one's position that it is a loss. It's almost as if this is some sort of battle to the death. Consider the battles around gay rights, for example. Whatever your views are on this, it seems that even a civil discussion regarding this turns into either a flame war online, or in the real world it turns into a real nasty confrontation. I know that I'm not aware of all the issues in the US or around the world for that matter, but I think I might have some insight as to why America is stumbling on so many relatively minor issues:

The first issue that comes to mind should be obvious to even an observer outside of the USA: political corruption. It seems that corruption is not only tolerated in our governments but in our schools, our religions, businesses, corporations, and pretty much every other institution I haven't mentioned here. Corruption and lack of transparency almost never work in the short term and certainly don't work in the long term. My own personal opinion is that society engages in corruption is partially because it's a cheap, easy way out - and partially because of a lack of trust, which somewhat ties into my second thought...

I think another reason why American leadership is failing is because America is an incredibly polarized society. This has been a generations long trend; I suspect many of the older posters here are familiar with the civil rights era. Honestly, most of the states have not only had a contentious relationship with the federal government but with each other. It's not a case of good vs evil or Red State vs Blue State or whatever flavor-of-the-week wrestling match is going on in the media, it's simply that most of the states don't hold much in common with each other now. It's like taking Massachutsetts politics and Idaho politics and expecting them to mix well together; it's not likely. You could make this same argument with any other two states or any combination of states and you'll probably get the same result. Over two hundred years ago the various independent states really didn't hold much in common with each other from what I've learned in high school and college, and I think it's a bit naive to assume that over twenty three decades of time would somehow change that given our history. I honestly think that the states really have no need to argue and squabble over most of the issues in America today given the choices that are available. This sort of ties into my third reason...

I'm also under the belief that American culture may be at fault for some of its problems. To me, quite a few people make the assumption that all Americans think alike. Are Americans united in all things? I don't think so; there's nothing bad about that. What works for one state may not in another; each of the 50 states and DC has their own unique needs and strengths. I think part of the problem here might be that there is a mentality in America that if Washington DC agrees upon something, that all 50 states must go along or it will be an absolute disaster. In real life, this usually isn't the case. I realistically think that Washington needs to be less insular and more tolerant of what the states are looking for in life, and forcing any agenda or set of politics down anyone's throat is unpleasant in general.

I think a fourth reason for American leadership is probably a reason that has been beat around the media long before my great-grandparents were born; crappy leadership. It could stem from a tolerance of poor leadership. It might be because of poor information (or misinformation) that leadership is acting on. It could be due to the actions of leaders in the past that are coming back to haunt us and the current leadership can't or won't deal with it.

A fifth reason could be due to the media/blogosphere. Much of the media has turned to what I like to call shock journalism; posting stories and news footage in a manner and/or format designed to inflame or divide the viewers. Often this tends to affect America's political discourse. I see a lot of this on the Yahoo news forums where even relatively tame news stories become a battle ground for only God knows what political agenda. I think Americans should demand more of their media outlets even if they have to go back to a more Web 1.0 format (i.e. keep the opinions in the opinion section).

I even have a sixth reason (this is getting long-winded but bear with me) for why I think American leadership is failing. I think many of the political compromises and decisions of the past are coming back to haunt us collectively. There's a lot of talk on the blogosphere that Obama and Congress are going to ruin America with their actions (or lack of action as of recent). I don't think Obama is a very good president but he and the current Congress are far to blame for most of the problems we face now. Washington DC and the state governments have dropped the ball badly for quite sometime. Most of the problems we face today, everything from LGBT rights to the economy to foreign relations, corporate governance, defense, Social Security/Medicare, the national debt, etc....have been talked about for decades, and America has chosen to either ignore it, bandaid it over sloppily, or ridicule it. Even in the heydays of the 1990s there were plenty of foodfights and catfights over this stuff.

I don't mean to be confrontational when I write this, and I'll be honest, there are probably many more reasons as to why American leadership is failing, but these are the ones I think are the most pressing. There comes a point where one has to put patriotism aside and be realistic.

WHat are your thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2012, 09:04 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,189,362 times
It's been this way for so long that i hardly notice it anymore.

Old 01-02-2012, 09:30 PM

4,991 posts, read 4,504,421 times
I don't think it's any different than it's ever been. We just have the internet and the network cable 24 hour news cycle so we hear everything the second it happens from virtually everywhere. Back in the olden days, after reading the morning paper, you'd have to wait for the nightly news to hear if anything had changed and they only had 30 minutes with commercials. Negative headlines lead of course so were doused with them 24 hours a day.

Old 01-02-2012, 10:17 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
We also have a leader in office that has not had any previous leadership jobs.

Old 01-03-2012, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Yea, and judging by the performance of the last president that DID have few leadership jobs, doesn't seem as if it makes much difference.

Of course, that's might not be fair in his case. If you're an oilman and can't find oil if you drilled into a Quaker State factory, you might be a bad example to use in this case.

Old 01-03-2012, 12:08 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,813,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
And there we go again. Never mind the "establishment" versus "outsider" rhetoric.

Old 01-03-2012, 12:42 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,526,395 times
Isn't it interesting that we want to blame the failure of our political system to deliver needed changes on everything and everybody but ourselves. It's the party, the ideology, the system, the influence peddlers, the media and on and on and on when, in fact, it's We the Voters.

Nobody follows us into that voting booth. Nobody guides our hands as we vote. Nobody holds a gun to our head and makes us choose any candidate. No matter about everything else, when we are alone behind that curtain, there's nobody there but us and, consequently, we have nobody else to blame.

Pointing the finger hither and yon, picking scapegoats from the myriad of choices, is nothing less than the most blatant irresponsibility. Until, and unless, we admit that WE are the problem, not much will change.

As Pogo said, "We have met the enemy, and he is us."

Old 01-03-2012, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
Isn't it interesting that we want to blame the failure of our political system to deliver needed changes on everything and everybody but ourselves. It's the party, the ideology, the system, the influence peddlers, the media and on and on and on when, in fact, it's We the Voters.

Nobody follows us into that voting booth. Nobody guides our hands as we vote. Nobody holds a gun to our head and makes us choose any candidate. No matter about everything else, when we are alone behind that curtain, there's nobody there but us and, consequently, we have nobody else to blame.

Pointing the finger hither and yon, picking scapegoats from the myriad of choices, is nothing less than the most blatant irresponsibility. Until, and unless, we admit that WE are the problem, not much will change.

As Pogo said, "We have met the enemy, and he is us."
Hmmm...that's a great point. Americans have to stop talking about government as if it's some giant sitting on a hill somewhere. We elect the morons that run it.

Old 01-03-2012, 01:02 PM

2,409 posts, read 3,040,921 times
Money and lobbying has corrupted our political system. Behind the scenes a democrat and a republican are no different. They both pander to Wallstreet, the banks, and the corporations. American government is run by the corporation who have our entire political process in their pocket. The banks and Wallstreet control EVERYTHING......top down left right.......the CIA, the Pentagon, the DOD, they all exist for the sole purpose of doing what's in the best interest of industry i.e. big agriculture, big oil, big mining, etc. The democrats want to take your money and spend it into oblivion and the republicans want to take your children and throw them into countless wars while bailing out big business. BOTH sides of the political aisle have been lobbied to corruption. Our entire military pretty much exists and fights to prop up the extractive industries seeking new markets all over the world. There isn't ONE........NOT ONE sector of society that the Federal government can run efficiently and responsibly. NOT ONE! Healthcare is a disaster! Agriculture and our food supply is a disaster! Our environment is a complete and utter disaster! Our trade policies are a joke! Our foreign policy is a joke! Our infrastructure is a complete disaster! NOT ONE area of society has government ever excelled at running efficiently, honestly, and fiscally. Most of us would have been fired for doing the same job our politicians have been doing for the last 50+ years. But why do they get away with it? Because the people at the top i..e the bankers, wallstreet, the corporate execs are all benefitting IMMENSELY off this cronyism and utter corruption.

The idiot American voters keep voting the same losers into office. Look at California. Look at these idiots out here...........Boxer, Feinnstein, Pelosi, Brown...........how many times are you going to keep electing these idiots into office. How long are you going to keep the racket going? Our government is supposed to REPRESENT the people and FOLLOW the Constitution!!!!!!

Ron Paul!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The change you wanted!

The biggest problem facing not only America but the rest of the world is our monetary system. We are ALL serfs beholden to the private banks who continue to print with abandon money out of thin air and putting us all and future generations into massive debt. Do you hear Romney, Santorum, Obama talking about monetary reform? Heck no! They are all crony big banker lackeys themselves. It's MONEY that keeps the rest of the world under the grip of dictators and tyrants. While I may not agree with Ron Paul on the gold standard atleast he is talking about monetary reform. In a perfect world Id elect Ron Paul President and Bill Still Treasury Secretary!!! And Jesse Ventura VP!! Peter Schiff Fed Chairman! And Alex Jones White House press secretary! LMAO!

Old 01-03-2012, 01:02 PM

12,282 posts, read 13,236,576 times
Well it is like garbage and garbage out. Both parties are failing due to there own agendas being false as to what they say they are and how they do it. Many really good type people that would make great leaders refuse to have anything to do with it. I have one example as to how the REPUBLICANS do things that is becoming unsustainable. You can see this in the candidates being offered up.

Example:Goodbye to All That: Reflections of a GOP Operative Who Left the Cult | Truthout

To be sure, the business wing of the Republican Party consists of the most energetic outsourcers, wage cutters and hirers of sub-minimum wage immigrant labor to be found anywhere on the globe. But the faux-populist wing of the party, knowing the mental compartmentalization that occurs in most low-information voters, played on the fears of that same white working class to focus their anger on scapegoats that do no damage to corporations' bottom lines: instead of raising the minimum wage, let's build a wall on the Southern border (then hire a defense contractor to incompetently manage it). Instead of predatory bankers, it's evil Muslims. Or evil gays. Or evil abortionists.

How about an example of the rotten stuff the Dem's do to cause a failing leadership?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies