Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2012, 07:47 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,127,661 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
people pay in all their life. i sort of feel they earned it. however for those just treading water, it guna get harder upstream. better to start swimming now. america has snuck on in to the french system of employment based welfare "chomage".
I've earned a lot of paychecks in my life, and never once have I seen anything remotely related to "unemployment insurance" come out of my personal paychecks.

What are you talking about? How did you "pay into it?" Where did you "earn it?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2012, 07:52 AM

3,006 posts, read 3,871,484 times
Hang on didn't she pay taxes while working as an office manager? So isn't she just claiming back what she's owed?

Old 01-04-2012, 08:05 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,421,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
I've earned a lot of paychecks in my life, and never once have I seen anything remotely related to "unemployment insurance" come out of my personal paychecks.

What are you talking about? How did you "pay into it?" Where did you "earn it?"
Your employer pays into it. That's why they sometimes will fight employees who feel they are collecting it erroneously.

Old 01-04-2012, 08:07 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,421,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by archineer View Post
Hang on didn't she pay taxes while working as an office manager? So isn't she just claiming back what she's owed?
In theory she did not pay into the original UE fund. However thanks to Obama and the Dems her fed taxes did go towards the extension.

Old 01-04-2012, 08:15 AM

8,003 posts, read 11,725,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workaholic? View Post
DOES UNEMPLOYMENT INSURANCE PAY A LITTLE TOO WELL?

In some States unemployment benefits pay quite well. (In others, like Arizona- not so well)

My cousin making about $50K as an Office Manager for a high technology company in Seattle and was actively involved in the rat race. Long hours, lots of office politics, impossible demands, lots of stress. Well her job was eliminated in the recession and she was laid off. First she panicked but after applying for Washington State Unemployment and discovering she would make $560 a week in benefits, she smiled.

This was a perfect opportunity for her to move back to Spokane where life is less stressful and she could rent a brand new apartment for $800 a month. She moved in with her sister and only had to pay $400 for her half. She did some odd jobs for cash income (off the books) and took a part time job at the Barnes and Noble Book Store two days a week.

After carefully looking at her budget she determined that she had more disposable income in low cost Spokane on unemployment benefits than she had in Seattle working.

Because she had some income this allowed her to draw the traditional 26 weeks of benefits for almost a year. Then she got a number of Federal and State Extensions and two years after her job loss she is working part time and has a higher standard of living in Spokane as a part time book store worker than she did in high priced high stress Seattle.

Well the gravy train is ending as her benefits are about to end in 2012. But after going through a halfXXX job search for two years she has finally found another Office Manager job in Spokane, and she will start a just a week before her last unemployment benefit check. Funny how that worked out!

My cousin has never looked better and is so relaxed. All from milking the unemployment benefits for every dollar possible and moving to a low cost community.

Will the liberals in Congress admit many of the long term unemployed collecting jobless benefits are just like my Cousin?

Was she genius or a thief?
Well I suppose you could also ask yourself this question. How many years did your cousin work, while she and her employer paid into unemployment, yet never draw a bit of it out? If she was only employeed for a year or two, paid into unemployment, but then drew far more FROM it than she paid into it, I'd say you've got something to complain about.

WTH is the point of paying into unemployment, if you're never allowed to draw anything out!? WTH are you paying for, if not protection if you lose your job!? Do some people milk the system? Yeah, they do. Some folks will ALWAYS find a loophole and lie their way through life if need be, but some folks...pay into it for decades, then have to fight for it and defend themselves when they get laid off. Meanwhile, their benefits are being paid out to losers who've never held down a job for more than a year at at time!

Old 01-04-2012, 12:38 PM

4,255 posts, read 3,480,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmel View Post
Well I suppose you could also ask yourself this question. How many years did your cousin work, while she and her employer paid into unemployment, yet never draw a bit of it out? If she was only employeed for a year or two, paid into unemployment, but then drew far more FROM it than she paid into it, I'd say you've got something to complain about.

WTH is the point of paying into unemployment, if you're never allowed to draw anything out!? WTH are you paying for, if not protection if you lose your job!? Do some people milk the system? Yeah, they do. Some folks will ALWAYS find a loophole and lie their way through life if need be, but some folks...pay into it for decades, then have to fight for it and defend themselves when they get laid off. Meanwhile, their benefits are being paid out to losers who've never held down a job for more than a year at at time!

Very few states have employees contribute to UI, even then its miniscule, like 6/10ths of 1 %

Old 01-04-2012, 03:55 PM

3,398 posts, read 5,106,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
Well congratulations on that! You should be thankful you were never laid off from work instead of bashing those who were.
Let me ask you, if you bought a home and make 1200.00 a month payments because you make a good salary and put in your time, plus a car payment within reason lets say 300.00 a month. What happens when you get laid off and take the job at Walmart for 800.00 a month and don't get unemployment? Then what kind of liability do you become?
She did the right thing, it takes time to re organize your life and she did just that.

I think the point is unemployment allows you to find a "like" salary as she did so that you don't become a burden to more people in the future. Which makes sense to me. It takes a little longer than a week to find a job with a $50 thousand dollar a year salary than one at Wendy's. The way we run things in this country we have to many obligations when we are laid off to ignore and go to Walmart for a quick job fix.

We could change this but what would this country do if everyone stopped buying homes and cars on credit and worked at Walmart or McDonald's? How long do you think it would take to sell a home then? What would our country be like after 100 years of that?

I still find no problem with the girl in question. Nothing on here has changed my mind.
A house and a car doesn't have to cost $1500 a month. People don't prepare for the possibility of losing a job.

Old 01-04-2012, 06:37 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,748,461 times
I'm facing being laid off this year and if I get laid off, I'm getting my unemployment that I am entitled to as a Kentucky resident. Also, I'm likely out of here and moving in with family in Virginia since there isn't a way in h!&$ I can get a good job here in KY. Why is it an issue for the OP of what the mentioned person does with unemployment if she is following the rules? Something a real "questioner" should ask him?

Old 01-04-2012, 08:16 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,054,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workaholic? View Post

Was she genius or a thief?
She is just doing what unemployment insurance3 is suppose to do, help you reclaim your life (the off the books work excepted).

Old 01-04-2012, 08:20 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,972,963 times
Off the books is theft.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies