Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2012, 03:20 PM

1,956 posts, read 1,812,110 times

Advertisements

Charlton Library Sends Police To Collect Overdue Books From 5-Year-Old « CBS Boston

Yes, police state, here we come! Luckily, no cows or dogs were shot in this escapade.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2012, 03:24 PM

3,840 posts, read 4,511,880 times
Those five year olds can be pretty dangerous! One kick to the shin can send you home for the rest of your shift.

Old 01-03-2012, 03:24 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,701,448 times
Complete waste of money. If I was the Chief I would have told them to send a registered letter, then take them to small claims to get a judgement.

Jeez I bet that officer felt low. Stupid Police Chief and idiot Head Librarian.

Shame on the parents for not teaching their children to return things they borrowed.

Old 01-03-2012, 06:29 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
You don't mess around with the library. They run a tight ship there in all cities.
I had to provide my SS, driver's license and a personal reference in order to get a library card.
Takes more to get a library card than it does to vote for President of the United States

I think we should put the librarians in charge of voting.

Old 01-03-2012, 06:31 PM

2,974 posts, read 1,984,259 times
...i thought of that seinfeld episode.....hilarious!!!!

Old 01-03-2012, 06:32 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,123,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
You don't mess around with the library. They run a tight ship there in all cities.
I had to provide my SS, driver's license and a personal reference in order to get a library card.
Takes more to get a library card than it does to vote for President of the United States

A personal reference? LOL

With the advent of e-books, you'd think that the library would be like a rest stop visitor center....unstaffed, cleaned once a day, and open to anyone who wants to stop in! Certainly not tightening up access!

Old 01-03-2012, 11:40 PM

4,367 posts, read 3,483,876 times

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zePQavforA

Old 01-03-2012, 11:49 PM

30,353 posts, read 51,942,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
A personal reference? LOL
Hopefully he was being facetious... if not, his local library is probably the strictest in the nation. In case you don't know by now, I've been a public librarian for over 5 years - and we only require a photo ID (variety of types accepted) with current address to obtain a card.

On a random note: I'm not sure why, but I always have to suppress a giggle when people ask "can I apply for a membership card?" I know we carry a lot of DVDs these days, but it's not Blockbuster or Costco! Unimportant yet funny to me.

Quote:
With the advent of e-books, you'd think that the library would be like a rest stop visitor center....unstaffed, cleaned once a day, and open to anyone who wants to stop in! Certainly not tightening up access!
Clearly you haven't visited a public library recently, LOL. The library where I currently work, which serves a town of ~35,000, was closed for 6 business days and reopened today... we literally had people pressed against the doors at 12pm sharp (opening time), like the ladies from those old Mervyn's sale commercials. "Open, open, oooopen!!"

Seriously, it was a zoo for most of the day. We probably checked in around 500 books, DVDs & CDs, and had to open a third register just to keep the checkout line moving. So no, eBooks have not rendered libraries empty, especially not in the lower-income areas... and this town has one of the lowest literacy rates in the state, so the hundreds of books we still lend (weekly) should tell you something. And that something is, visit your local library!

Last edited by gizmo980; 01-04-2012 at 12:17 AM..

Old 01-04-2012, 12:00 AM

And in regards to the OP, I've never heard of such a thing being done. In my relatively short career I've already worked in a good number of libraries (maybe 7-8, if you include my internships & p/t jobs), and we've never pursued anyone for an overdue book. That's actually a running joke amongst librarians, where we reference Seinfeld or tease about the "library cops" coming to get you.

In reality we just keep track of your fines, charging no more than the retail cost of each title. In most libraries they'll go to a collections agency after a while, exact time varying from town to town... my current library doesn't even do that, just going on the honor code that "they'll eventually come back and pay." It's kind of a small town, so we're trusting like that. We even work with people who've lost items or racked up huge fines, usually settling on less than half - or allowing them to make payments (even $1 at a time) until they're paid. We're not all crotchety old women, I swear!

P.S. We also budget losses into our annual reports, so there's a small pot of money to cover lost/stolen single-copy titles that are deemed "necessary."

Last edited by gizmo980; 01-04-2012 at 12:10 AM..

Old 01-04-2012, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Can't argue with that... at least you know we'd keep everything properly sorted, LOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies