Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2012, 05:20 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,737,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cal-eta View Post
if so, should there be a law requiring employers to have a certain percentage of their employees ages 60-70 so they may support themselves until retirement?

No. People should be trained and educated to save for their own retirement. It can be done if people start early.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2012, 09:57 PM

4,098 posts, read 7,106,829 times
Default Taxed Enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Poll after poll, Americans want 4 things.

Social Security, Medicare, cut defense to pay for them, raise taxes on the rich to make up the difference.

Very basic demands here people.

Social security and medicare retirement ages should be raised. To around 70 years old for all those under the age of 40, and yes, this includes me.

We can have space travel, healthcare for all, social security and medicare, if only we cut the military by about half.

We spend 43% of all the worlds military money. Lets cut that back to 30%. China, the next single largest contributor to military spending world wide, is at 7%. I think we'll be ok.
Why should the rich be taxed at a different rate than the rest of us? Should they be penalized for doing better than some of the rest of us? I think not. Social security and Medicare could be raised if all the the people who have not paid into it were taken off the rolls. That includes the people who are here illegally who collect welfare. Cutting government waste would be a wiser step than cutting the military. Ending the pension plans for politicians and making them live under the same healthcare and retirement system the rest of us have to live under. If we have healthcare for all, we should be collecting tax money from all, that is not the case. Do away with welfare for people who can actually work, that isn't the case now. There are no easy answers, government control of every aspect of our lives is not the answer either.

*****The people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.*****

Old 01-04-2012, 03:52 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,386,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nite Ryder View Post
Why should the rich be taxed at a different rate than the rest of us? Should they be penalized for doing better than some of the rest of us? I think not. Social security and Medicare could be raised if all the the people who have not paid into it were taken off the rolls. That includes the people who are here illegally who collect welfare. Cutting government waste would be a wiser step than cutting the military. Ending the pension plans for politicians and making them live under the same healthcare and retirement system the rest of us have to live under. If we have healthcare for all, we should be collecting tax money from all, that is not the case. Do away with welfare for people who can actually work, that isn't the case now. There are no easy answers, government control of every aspect of our lives is not the answer either.

*****The people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.*****
Ask 7 out of 10 people in the street, they are the ones wanting to raise taxes on the rich.

But I'm not asking that they be taxed at a higher rate then me, just the same one. Right now hedge fund managers are paying a much lower rate then I am, how is that fair?

Btw, the. Budget can not be balanced without massive cuts in military spending.

Old 01-04-2012, 09:13 AM

3,045 posts, read 3,192,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driftwood2011 View Post
What part of being taxed enough do people not understand?

I am neither a TP member, a republican, or democrat.

A generalized synopsis:

John Doe is hired for employment.

Before he has his fist penny in hand, he has Federal, State, and possibly local taxes taken out.

He has to pay, in some cases, medicare/medicaid taxes for others.

He has Social Security taxes taken out to pay for other people's SS benefits which he too hopes to recover a portion of some day.

But now, he his share of the money in hand.

When he attempts to use it, either by making a purchase, or in earning interest from it, he is taxed once again.

He uses it to pay for his bills, utilities, fuel, food, and other consumer products all of which makes him pay taxes again.

He drives his vehicle to work. The vehicle registration, fuel, repairs, and replacement parts are ALL taxed.

He goes home to watch his television, which was also taxed as well as his monthly cable bill, and hears that companies like GE are able to avoid paying tens of millions in taxes because of the loopholes in the system the government is controlling and regulating. Then he hears how he needs to be a better person by stepping up and paying more taxes himself, while others continue to spend those taxes with reckless abandon.

He sees politicians living off of his dime, some of which are evading their own taxes.

For all intents and purposes, John Doe is a government employee. But unlike those who control the government, he is investing in it, they are simply living off of it and deciding who else gets to live off of John Doe's investments. When they feel John Doe isn't doing enough, and they want more, they will label Mr. Doe in a negative fashion, and rally their fellow parasites to demand more.

If John Doe would have only stayed in bed, maybe he would be in that position himself.
Sorry, but that commentary is the opposite of smart and I mean that very strongly. You seemed to neglect that John Doe benefits from the electricity at his house, the internet used to make this post, roads, sewer, laws, courts and police to keep people largely adhering to laws, an electoral system to hold politicians accountable, a social system to keep crime lower and an educational system so that his country will be able to keep competing on a national level. All of those things cost money. Taxes in the United States are low.

Seriously, given that you can't even write a thread that makes any sense or looks at both sides of the issue, I'm highly doubtful that you make enough to pay federal income taxes.

Quote:
Cutting government waste would be a wiser step than cutting the military.
Feel free to identify what waste you would cut. Other than you're writing emotionally like a 12 year old, you really haven't said anything for which you can give solid data. The vast majority of the budget is social security, medicare, defense, and service on the national debt. There's not that much other spending there and you probably didn't even know that you have to cut more than $1 to save $1.

More library and less posting for you.

Quote:
Or maybe John Doe should stop voting for Obama who gave $538 million of our tax dollars to his buddies at Solyndra. Too bad for him, but he needs to wake the hell up.
Oddly, I bet you weren't complaining too loud when when after 8 years of Republican rule we were left with The Great Recession and a mess in Iraq that never should have happened. You'd have to be intelligent enough to think for yourself to say things like that. Nitpicking one small part of a rather massive unavoidable stimulus plan is rather silly.

Old 01-04-2012, 09:31 AM

89,007 posts, read 44,813,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyVaz1009 View Post
Maybe John Doe should move to Scandinavia and get a taste of what REAL taxes are.

Even then, it all goes to pay for services he uses anyway.
Not necessarily. In the U.S., some use WAY more government services and get FAR more benefit than others, while paying MUCH less. Likewise, others are paying WAY more than others but getting MUCH less. Government taxing and spending is VERY HEAVILY skewed in favor of the lower income groups.

Share of total tax burden (federal, state, and local) compared to share of income chart in Figure 2 (page 23), here:
http://www.taxfoundation.org/files/wp1.pdf (broken link)

And where does the money go?

Government spending received per dollar of taxes paid chart, Figure 9 (page 33):
http://www.taxfoundation.org/files/wp1.pdf (broken link)

Old 01-04-2012, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Ask 7 out of 10 people in the street, they are the ones wanting to raise taxes on the rich.

But I'm not asking that they be taxed at a higher rate then me, just the same one.
Sounds good to me! I'll take that effective federal tax rate of only 8.25%!

Top 0.1% pays an effective federal income tax rate of 24.28%
Top 1% pays an effective federal income tax rate of 24.01%
Bottom 90% pays an effective federal income tax rate of only 8.25%, or even less.

Table 8, here:
The Tax Foundation - Summary of Latest Federal Individual Income Tax Data

Even that 15% hedge fund manager tax rate you're complaining about is nearly TWICE the rate 90% of the taxpayers pay.

Old 01-04-2012, 09:55 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,386,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Sounds good to me! I'll take that effective federal tax rate of only 8.25%!

Top 0.1% pays an effective federal income tax rate of 24.28%
Top 1% pays an effective federal income tax rate of 24.01%
Bottom 90% pays an effective federal income tax rate of only 8.25%, or even less.

Table 8, here:
The Tax Foundation - Summary of Latest Federal Individual Income Tax Data

Even that 15% hedge fund manager tax rate you're complaining about is nearly TWICE the rate 90% of the taxpayers pay.
How about a non biased source? Seriously, we are talking about income tax, not taxes because they are spending their money. Just because I have less money to spend, doesn't mean I'm paying less of a tax rate than millionaires.

Love how y'all spin numbers.

The richest Americans are paying a much lower percentage of their income to income tax, then those of us in the middle class, and 70% of Americans know it.

Old 01-04-2012, 10:01 AM

59,041 posts, read 27,298,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Yea, well maybe John Doe should stop voting for Republicans that want to give those tax loopholes to GE while he keeps paying more. Too bad for him, but he needs to wake the hell up.

And maybe John Doe should stop supporting trillion dollar wars and being in favor of billions in oil subsidies for Big Petro.

Moreover, maybe John Doe should stop being preoccupied with Gays, God, and Guns while corporate America and his elected politicians keep stabbing him in the back.

If John Doe doesn't wanna wake up, then that's his problem. But you don't get a free lunch in this country.
Considering the dems have controlled Congress, in the past 60 years or so, a whole lot more then the repubs, I believe your statement is unfounded.

Old 01-04-2012, 10:07 AM

Quote:
How about a non biased source?
The IRS is biased? Really?

Quote:
The richest Americans are paying a much lower percentage of their income to income tax, then those of us in the middle class, and 70% of Americans know it.
Totally false.

I've already posted the IRS and Tax Foundation data (which gets their information directly from the respective taxing bodies) contradicting your utterly ridiculous claim.

Old 01-04-2012, 01:54 PM

3,457 posts, read 3,622,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nite Ryder View Post
Why should the rich be taxed at a different rate than the rest of us? Should they be penalized for doing better than some of the rest of us? I think not.
The question is, why should the wealthy be rewarded with special tax laws?

Why is capital gains income taxed at 15%, and wage income taxed at higher rates? Why do hedge fund managers get special tax breaks for earning "carried interest." ? Why is the interest on second homes tax-deductible? Why is there a payroll tax cap to exempt higher-incomes from having to pay for the Social Security system?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies