Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2012, 10:15 AM

93 posts, read 100,384 times

Advertisements

You do what you have to do to take care of your family. There is pride and dignity in all honest work. My friend lost his job and went to nursing school, a field dominated by women because he knew he'd always have a job and would be able to take care of his family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2012, 10:22 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,228,265 times
That's a very simple-minded thought! I was laid off in 2009 and on UI for around 65 weeks. I have two young children, so I couldn't take a job "flipping burgers" when it would have paid me half of what their child care costs! So I stayed home with my children while looking for a job. In the end, I found a job that paid what I needed, didn't lose my house or screw up my credit. Why are so many people in this country simple minded and heartless? If you'd been laid off and had a family to support, I bet you'd be singing a different tune!

Old 01-04-2012, 10:48 AM

18,665 posts, read 19,970,287 times
denverian, Than explain why in their final weeks of ui suddenly many find jobs they had insited were "benaeth" them. The reality is most can do something, even for subsistence wages. I know several who looked next to never during the first 75% of their benefit period, and answered every week, that they had looked. It's not a paid vacation, and every penny after 26 weeks comes from the working population as it is general fund taxpayer money.

Old 01-04-2012, 11:02 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,709,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
denverian, Than explain why in their final weeks of ui suddenly many find jobs they had insited were "benaeth" them. The reality is most can do something, even for subsistence wages. I know several who looked next to never during the first 75% of their benefit period, and answered every week, that they had looked. It's not a paid vacation, and every penny after 26 weeks comes from the working population as it is general fund taxpayer money.
My guess is it's not because they thought the jobs were beneath them, but because, as Denverian said, it made more sense to take the unemployment benefits and not have to pay for child care, transportation costs, etc., than to work for minimum wage and have to pay someone to care for their children. That they're taking the jobs now doesn't mean they're finally agreeing to a crappy job. It means that they're desperate enough to take chances on their child care by leaving the kids alone or with relatives or strangers, because they have to eat.

Don't be surprised when you start reading about bad things happening to kids left alone, or in cars while they're parents work their shifts at McDonald's. And whatever you do, don't criticize the parents for being idiots for not taking better care of their children.

Old 01-04-2012, 11:15 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,440,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
The manager of a McDonalds earns over $80K per year.
That manager also took ten+ years to get there because of McDonald's Corporate policies on advancement.

Old 01-04-2012, 11:24 AM

855 posts, read 1,173,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamellr View Post
That manager also took ten+ years to get there because of McDonald's Corporate policies on advancement.

so everyone is entitled to 80k fresh out the gate without a few years of hard work? 10 years is definitely not a lifetime.

i think that's the problem with a lot of people--they expect a lot reward for little investment.

Old 01-04-2012, 11:34 AM

93 posts, read 100,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chariega View Post
so everyone is entitled to 80k fresh out the gate without a few years of hard work? 10 years is definitely not a lifetime.

i think that's the problem with a lot of people--they expect a lot reward for little investment.

Exactly. I've had it with the whiny, excuse making people in this country. I had to work in my field 10 years before I hit the six figure mark and in doing so I had to move to three different states along the way. I have no tolerance for those who want everything handed to them.. and no Im not a Republican I'm a fiscally conservative social liberal!

Old 01-04-2012, 12:01 PM

17,005 posts, read 12,592,213 times
Actually according to Glassdoor the avg McDs store manager makes ~40K. I suspect the 80K ones are owner/managers. (cost=about 1MM or thereabouts. 40% not borrowed)

I know a number of people who are on/ went thru unemployment. ONE was (and still is a loafer, who also ran out of weeks). The others did the right thing and actually looked. One is an EE out over 2 years. Long out of unemployment he lives with his son now and no, no miracle job appeared for him. Others had varying degrees of success. Many took about a 1/3 paycut.

Old 01-04-2012, 12:07 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,228,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
My guess is it's not because they thought the jobs were beneath them, but because, as Denverian said, it made more sense to take the unemployment benefits and not have to pay for child care, transportation costs, etc., than to work for minimum wage and have to pay someone to care for their children. That they're taking the jobs now doesn't mean they're finally agreeing to a crappy job. It means that they're desperate enough to take chances on their child care by leaving the kids alone or with relatives or strangers, because they have to eat.

Don't be surprised when you start reading about bad things happening to kids left alone, or in cars while they're parents work their shifts at McDonald's. And whatever you do, don't criticize the parents for being idiots for not taking better care of their children.
There are definitely going to be some people out there who take advantage of it, but I don't believe most do. I got the max. benefit, but still, it was little money. Trust me, I was looking hard for a job!

The other issue is that we know there aren't enough jobs out there for everyone who's looking. What, do people think McDonalds can hire 4 million people next week?

Old 01-04-2012, 12:27 PM

2,472 posts, read 3,198,096 times
I sold women's shoes and it was fun. Eye candy at work ftw.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies