Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2011, 12:32 AM

22,665 posts, read 24,619,009 times

Advertisements

This is correct from what I have read, both the so-called "trust funds" have FUNNY MONEY in them.

See, the rub is the government owes money to SS and has Obligations to Medicare, it is backing this debt with the SS and Medicare Trust fund (and income from taxes).

The problem is the SS and Medicare trust funds are just more government debt in the form of placemarkers showing what is owed to these government programs. THERE IS NO SALEABLE ASSETS THAT CAN BE DRAWN ON TO HELP FUND BOTH OF THESE GOVERNMENT PROGRAMS.

So when insane people say "Hey look, both Social Security and Medicare have HUGE trust funds".......well, erm....in a literal sense that is true. But in reality, this is just a political/accounting trick meant to.......I don't know what it is meant to do.....appease the masses???

Time to grow up and deal with our huge problems, this is one that must be dealt with. WHAT IS THE BEST FIX FOR THESE BROKEN PROGRAMS???

Last edited by tickyul; 05-20-2011 at 12:54 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2011, 12:34 AM

9,848 posts, read 8,286,793 times
Yes, since they were raided to fund social programs and government employees and their pensions, they are broke as a joke.

Old 05-23-2011, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCCB View Post
Yes, since they were raided to fund social programs and government employees and their pensions, they are broke as a joke.

Well, the fact is President Johnson signed into law changes that really hurt SS in the long run. ALL SS surpluses are put into the General Fund and SS is issued WORTHLESS SS T-BILLS for that amount. So instead of really INVESTING the SS SURPLUS into things like precious metals, Blue-chip stocks, priceless art......we got junk t-bills that are worth the paper they are written on.

Old 05-23-2011, 10:02 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,985,890 times
Typical right wing lemmings. They've fallen for right wing propaganda that has convinced them SS is bankrupt.

The only way SS is threatened is if lazy, apathetic citizens don't stand up for it being fully funded.

SS has a manageable long term deficit that could be almost fully corrected if we could lift the tax cap on high incomes.

NEVER EXPECT these right wing thread to source any objective data that says SS is a lost cause.

There isn't any.

Do you notice there is no sourcing in their arguments?

Last edited by CaseyB; 05-24-2011 at 05:12 AM.. Reason: personal attack

Old 05-23-2011, 10:08 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,143,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
Typical right wing lemmings. They've fallen for right wing propaganda that has convinced them SS is bankrupt.

The only way SS is threatened is if lazy, apathetic citizens don't stand up for it being fully funded.

SS has a manageable long term deficit that could be almost fully corrected if we could lift the tax cap on high incomes.

NEVER EXPECT these right wing thread to source any objective data that says SS is a lost cause.

There isn't any.

According to the national debt clock
Social Security liabilities exceed the US national debt,
SS liabilities $15T, US National debt $14.2T

Prescription liabilities, exceed that even more at a total of $19.9T

And liabilities to medicare passed $79T

Total liability owed, $113T, which exceeds $1M per citizen.

U.S. National Debt Clock : Real Time

If thats not bankrupt, what is it? How do you manage liabilities exceeding $1M per citizen? How do you even begin to pay for this, considering 1/2 of the nation doesnt even contribute to the federal government? Where does the money come from if it exceeds the total economic cycle of the nation for decades?

obama himself said that the debt was a sign of poor leadership, and that was when the national debt was around $9T.. now you are telling us that obama was wrong, and that these debts are manageable, even though they are 12 times as large?

Last edited by CaseyB; 05-24-2011 at 05:13 AM..

Old 05-23-2011, 10:50 PM

Quote:

There isn't any.

It is well know that the SS TRUST FUND has NON-FUNGIBLE T-BILLS. This means for all practical purposes there are no saleable assets in this so-called trust fund.

Well, I did not go into any other aspects of SS/Medicare except the so called "trust fund". What I posted was facts, care to dispute them????

I know it is really easy to throw out insults and ignore what I posted, emotions rule the day.

Last edited by CaseyB; 05-24-2011 at 05:13 AM..

Old 05-23-2011, 10:52 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,985,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
It is well know that the SS TRUST FUND has NON-FUNGIBLE T-BILLS. This means for all practical purposes there are no saleable assets in this so-called trust fund.

Well, I did not go into any other aspects of SS/Medicare except the so called "trust fund". What I posted was facts, care to dispute them????

I know it is really easy to throw out insults and ignore what I posted, emotions rule the day.
Yes you've memorized the right wing wing talking points by heart....that's for sure.

Sadly, you have no idea what you are talking about.

Old 05-23-2011, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Yes you've memorized the right wing wing talking points by heart....that's for sure.

Sadly, you have no idea what you are talking about.

Ok, I am open to learning.

Tell me where I am wrong when I state "THERE ARE NO SALEABLE ASSETS IN THE SS/MEDICARE TRUST FUNDS"????????

Just tell me what I am missing.

Old 05-23-2011, 11:51 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,398,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
According to the national debt clock
Social Security liabilities exceed the US national debt,
SS liabilities $15T, US National debt $14.2T

Prescription liabilities, exceed that even more at a total of $19.9T

And liabilities to medicare passed $79T

Total liability owed, $113T, which exceeds $1M per citizen.

U.S. National Debt Clock : Real Time

If thats not bankrupt, what is it? How do you manage liabilities exceeding $1M per citizen? How do you even begin to pay for this, considering 1/2 of the nation doesnt even contribute to the federal government? Where does the money come from if it exceeds the total economic cycle of the nation for decades?

obama himself said that the debt was a sign of poor leadership, and that was when the national debt was around $9T.. now you are telling us that obama was wrong, and that these debts are manageable, even though they are 12 times as large?
Are you sure medicare liability is 79T I cannot find an outside source to verify that and considering there is only 125T worth of household wealth in the world that number seems high. Not saying it isn't the case but it seems much higher then any number I have heard and the site you listed is the only one that has it.

Old 05-24-2011, 08:52 AM

13,900 posts, read 9,778,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
Are you sure medicare liability is 79T I cannot find an outside source to verify that and considering there is only 125T worth of household wealth in the world that number seems high. Not saying it isn't the case but it seems much higher then any number I have heard and the site you listed is the only one that has it.
Take the program and stretch it out for decades and decades, yeah, you could make it's obligations be almost any number. Right-wingers make you want to think that huge number is all due tomorrow. Distortions and half-truths is their play book.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies