Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2012, 10:23 PM

39,869 posts, read 26,503,175 times

Advertisements

Political positions of Mitt Romney - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
Quote:
Gun control
See also: Governorship of Mitt Romney#Other issues
Romney has said "I support the right of individuals to keep and bear arms as guaranteed under the U.S. Constitution,"[50] though in past campaigns he has described himself as a proponent of gun control, and he fully supports a ban on assault weapons.[51]
For Romney's 1994 US Senate campaign, he supported the Brady Bill, which imposed a five-day waiting period on gun sales, and a ban on particular semi-automatic rifles.[51] In a 2002 debate during Romney's campaign for governor of Massachusetts, Romney said: "We do have tough gun laws in Massachusetts; I support them. I won't chip away at them; I believe they protect us and provide for our safety."[52] As governor, Romney signed a 2004 measure instituting a permanent Massachusetts ban on military style assault weapons, to take the place of a Federal ban, which was then about to expire. The bill made Massachusetts the first state to enact its own such ban on specific semi-automatic weapons and some shotguns with specific accessories, and Romney supported the law with the comment: "These guns are not made for recreation or self-defense. They are instruments of destruction with the sole purpose of hunting down and killing people."[53] As Governor, Romney extended the term of firearm licenses from four to six years, reinstated a 90-day grace period for citizens renewing their gun licenses, and signed a law providing free replacement licenses.[citation needed]

Click here for 8 full quotes on Gun Control OR other candidates on Gun Control OR background on Gun Control.
  • 2008: "Lifelong" devotion to hunting meant "small varmints". (Jan 2010)
  • GovWatch: 1994: did not “line up with the NRA”. (Feb 2008)
  • Support the 2nd Amendment AND the assault weapon ban. (Jan 2008)
  • I support the work of the NRA, but disagree sometimes. (Dec 2007)
  • Ok to ban lethal weapons that threaten police. (Dec 2007)
  • Compromise MA gun bills were net gain for gun owner. (Aug 2007)
  • Supports Second Amendment rights but also assault weapon ban. (May 2007)
  • Will support assault weapons bill and Brady Bill. (Aug 1994)
I like some of Romney's positions, but support for gun owner's rights is a litmus test for me. Gun owners, can you vote for this man? There is still time to get someone else elected in the primary(or cacus)...before we end up with another "lesser of two evils" elections.

Last edited by Toyman at Jewel Lake; 01-04-2012 at 10:34 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2012, 10:29 PM

1,805 posts, read 1,466,820 times
I think its been amply demonstrated that mittens will say anything to get elected. J.A.P.(just another politician) Wouldn't vote for him for dog catcher, much less any other office.

Old 01-04-2012, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0marvin0 View Post
I think its been amply demonstrated that mittens will say anything to get elected. J.A.P.(just another politician) Wouldn't vote for him for dog catcher, much less any other office.
Which makes him no different from Obama
Who is no different than Bush
Who was no different than Cinton...

Old 01-04-2012, 10:32 PM

472 posts, read 740,698 times
If the choice is Obama or Romney, my vote is for Romney.

Old 01-04-2012, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weedsnake View Post
If the choice is Obama or Romney, my vote is for Romney.
Me too I guess...lesser of two evils, by a small margin.

Old 01-04-2012, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Which makes him no different from Obama
Who is no different than Bush
Who was no different than Cinton...
And yet these types keep getting elected over and over again. If my choice is O or mittens I write in Ron Paul or vote libertarian. I can't urge people enough to stop picking the lesser of two evils. When you do that you still wind up with evil.

Old 01-04-2012, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0marvin0 View Post
And yet these types keep getting elected over and over again. If my choice is O or mittens I write in Ron Paul or vote libertarian. I can't urge people enough to stop picking the lesser of two evils. When you do that you still wind up with evil.
I don't disagree with the sentiment...but look how that turned out in what, 96? The fiscally responsible vote is split between Dole and the Perot...handing the election to Clinton.

Old 01-04-2012, 11:21 PM

Do you really think Dole would have been any different? Barring using an intern for a humidor. Do you think the federal government would have grown any less under Dole? I doubt it. Would the interventionist foreign policy be any different? I don't think so.

Old 01-04-2012, 11:29 PM

8,806 posts, read 6,110,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Political positions of Mitt Romney - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I like some of Romney's positions, but support for gun owner's rights is a litmus test for me. Gun owners, can you vote for this man? There is still time to get someone else elected in the primary(or cacus)...before we end up with another "lesser of two evils" elections.
I believe fully in the second amendment but I do believe in some control over ownership. I don't have any qualms with Romney's positions,

Old 01-05-2012, 12:11 AM

1,027 posts, read 1,256,790 times
It will be hilarious if Flip-Flop Romney is the GOP nominee...that would mean a liberal Democratic president (Obama) would actually have a stronger pro-2nd amendment record than his GOP challenger. Not once has Obama ever curtailed gun rights as president, whereas Flip-Flop Romney actually banned assault weapons in his state, and is very much pro-gun control.

Now, I wonder what that mullet-headed tinfoil-hat wearing douchebag frenchie Wayne LaPierre would endorse in this scenario? LOL! Too funny.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies