U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2012, 06:41 AM

9,856 posts, read 14,641,582 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_windwalker View Post
You know.... There was a time, before I retired, I was working 10 to 20 hours a day, 6 and 7 days a week. No, I was not one of the top earners, but I was the one that put in the longest hours.

And, the execs pocketed everything they made off of me.

After 13 years of that, I started having medical problems. The doctors said it was work related, the company said it was not. Care to figure out the rest?
So what were the execs doing that you were not? It sounds like you were doing something wrong, if this was the case. Learn from your mistakes.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2012, 02:10 PM

7,767 posts, read 7,995,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post

So what were the execs doing that you were not? It sounds like you were doing something wrong, if this was the case. Learn from your mistakes.
Typical "blame the victim of the ponzi scheme" that is Corporate America.

Here's a hint: his only "error" was not being a Greedy B@st@rd in a system that's set up to reward the coaches while penalizing the players.

Old 01-09-2012, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post
Typical "blame the victim of the ponzi scheme" that is Corporate America.

Here's a hint: his only "error" was not being a Greedy B@st@rd in a system that's set up to reward the coaches while penalizing the players.
So certain jobs pay more than others, this guy made the choice to do the job that pays less, and thinks there is something to complain about? Strange logic. Being the 'coach' as you put it is a hell of a lot harder than punching a clock, doing your job, and going home.

Old 01-09-2012, 02:31 PM

7,767 posts, read 7,995,288 times
You'll never get it because you don't want to get it. This is an extremely complex economic and political scheme and you think you can boil it down to simplistic "get a better-paying job" nonsense. It doesn't work that way. Instead of spouting off platitudes, read the link I provided and educate yourself for G-d's sake.

Old 01-09-2012, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post
You'll never get it because you don't want to get it. This is an extremely complex economic and political scheme and you think you can boil it down to simplistic "get a better-paying job" nonsense. It doesn't work that way. Instead of spouting off platitudes, read the link I provided and educate yourself for G-d's sake.
I did read that article, and it holds as unbiased as Rush Limbaugh or Michael Moore. That article is far from an 'education'. It is as simple as getting a better paying job. The wall street analyst who makes $150k/year and has the potential for a seven figure bonus worked 80 hours per week for decades to get there. The execs who you are complaining about started with nothing and spend nights and weekends studying how to be better. Work harder. Study. Become smarter. No one becomes successful by complaining. Please answer this question. If you have a boss who makes $800,000/year and you make $40,000/year, why wouldn't you study everything he did to get there? How is that question a platitude?

Last edited by hnsq; 01-09-2012 at 03:03 PM..

Old 01-09-2012, 02:47 PM

4,255 posts, read 3,334,522 times
Its not, its actualy the logical next step for anyone looking to get ahead at their job. Learn his job and be ready to replace him when the time comes.

Old 01-09-2012, 03:18 PM

10,238 posts, read 18,748,274 times
I just caught this thread a bit late...but still want to get in my two-cents worth (which is probably all it is worth!).

When does "income inequality become a 'problem'"?

IMHO, it is when those consumed by class-envy become enough of a voting bloc to elect candidates that promise to "spread the wealth." Motivated by a belief that they are entitled and oppressed and deserve a bigger share of the pie...even if they did/do nothing whatsoever to make the pie and, further, are living off the income (via taxes) of others who did.

Original authorship is uncertain, but it goes along the famous quote (by somebody smart!) that wrote/said:

A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves largesse from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most benefits from the public treasury with the result that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy, always followed by a dictatorship. The average age of the world's greatest civilizations has been 200 years.
Great nations rise and fall. The people go from bondage to spiritual truth, to great courage, from courage to liberty, from liberty to abundance, from abundance to selfishness, from selfishness to complacency, from complacency to apathy, from apathy to dependence, from dependence back again to bondage.

So back to the OP? It becomes a problem when those who feel entitled to the income of others become enough of a majority to elect candidates who promise it to them.

The irony in all this is that the former type are usually so ignorant/short-sighted/spoiled/ that they really never see/grasp that all they have done is vest the power to re-distrubute the said wealth (created by others), into the hands of those who will take the lions share of it themselves. Thus? Just a different sort of income inequality.

*shakes head sadly*

Old 04-21-2012, 12:05 PM

25,544 posts, read 23,007,944 times
An interesting map:
http://visualizingeconomics.com/wp-content/uploads/us_income_inequal_5_15_2006.jpg (broken link)

I suppose it is still more or less accurate a decade later on...
I wonder why the Midwest is so much more equal than other regions.

Old 04-21-2012, 12:22 PM

33,031 posts, read 25,870,595 times
Income inequality becomes a problem when it adversely affects the family. (Can conservatives at least agree on this?)

I see multiple things adversely affecting the American family today, in no particular order:

Cultural change certainly has detracted from the family as many people are choosing to cohabit or raise children alone (the latter in turn causes other problems).

Government policies are hammering the family especially those at lower income levels. Conservatives resolved the marriage penalty in the tax code but there is a vast marriage penalty in spending programs resulting in millions of single parents on food stamps, welfare and other programs.

Income inequality also detracts from the family as more people find themselves in financial positions averse to marriage.

Old 04-21-2012, 12:28 PM

33,031 posts, read 25,870,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
So certain jobs pay more than others, this guy made the choice to do the job that pays less, and thinks there is something to complain about? Strange logic. Being the 'coach' as you put it is a hell of a lot harder than punching a clock, doing your job, and going home.

Do wage slaves really CHOOSE to do the job that pays less? I've done the job that pays less only because it beat the heck out of starving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies