Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2012, 02:01 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,396,450 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0tmess View Post
Well..
Government really shouldn't need to hand out papers so people can be recognized. It's silly. But, if we are for it on a legal level, it needs to be handed up to the states. I don't care what it's called. As long as a civil union piece of paper IS the same thing as a marriage piece of paper .. without any loopholes.
"Sorry, we only allow married people to put their spouse on health insurance" is a good example.

With that being said, even if legal on a federal level.. the government should NOT force any church to marry a same sex couple.
That's impossible for the government to force a church to perform a religious ritual 'ceremony' anyway.
Quote:
Sadly, I see it coming. We'll be able to get married eventually, but we'll want more. We'll demand that the churches we belong to to marry us or ELSE.... and.. the gay couple will win...and gays will get hated more for requiring special treatment.

I predict it'll be a lesbian couple who will do it. Just for fun!
That's just silly.

Last edited by Ceist; 01-06-2012 at 03:03 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2012, 02:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
Thankfully we have a 1st Amendment that enshrines a separation between Church and State and ensures the free exercise of religion. What makes you think we'd abandon it by taking away a Church's rights to religious freedom?
Ignorance, paranoia and hysteria?

Last edited by Ceist; 01-06-2012 at 03:02 AM..

Old 01-06-2012, 02:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
The ink would not be dry on the bill allowing equal civil union/marriage and some gay couple would be suing the Catholic Church.

That is a guarantee.
No, it's a silly statement.

Old 01-06-2012, 02:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyndsong71 View Post
On the same grounds that the Boy Scouts were sued to allow gays to be leaders of troops. It will be seen as "discrimination" rather than "religious freedom".
The Boy Scouts are a Church?

Last edited by Ceist; 01-06-2012 at 03:02 AM..

Old 01-06-2012, 03:01 AM

Quote:
Same Sex Marriage is now legal on a federal level.
Are you serious? What country do you live in?

Ever heard of DOMA?

Old 01-06-2012, 06:05 AM

1,770 posts, read 2,899,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
Are you serious? What country do you live in?

Ever heard of DOMA?
It was a hypothetical point for the hypothetical question. Wow, good job pointing out a few words and calling me out on it. Pardon me, do you work for Fox News or CNN?

Old 01-06-2012, 07:54 AM

4,520 posts, read 4,212,335 times
I argued this point in another thread (civil unions having the same benefits as "marriage"). The gay marriage supporters weren't happy with me.

I would be all for civil unions happening for everyone both straight and gay while marriage is preserved for those who want their union sanctioned by God.

Sadly, I don't even think some gays will want to go for this. For some, there seems to be a hang-up with wanting to say "I'm/we're married".

Old 01-06-2012, 07:56 AM

15,706 posts, read 11,785,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocLot View Post
I argued this point in another thread (civil unions having the same benefits as "marriage"). The gay marriage supporters weren't happy with me.

I would be all for civil unions happening for everyone both straight and gay while marriage is preserved for those who want their union sanctioned by God.

Sadly, I don't even think some gays will want to go for this. For some, there seems to be a hang-up with wanting to say "I'm/we're married".
They would say "I'm married" anyway. Nobody is going to say, "We're civilly unionized".

I still don't understand why you all think the Church owns the word marriage. Never has, never will. Protestants opposed the Church being associated with marriage, which is why the Puritans brought Common Law marriage to the US.

Old 01-06-2012, 07:58 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,408,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocLot View Post

And I think if the church wedding is completely separate from the legal union part of it, you'd be right.

I think the word marriage should be removed from the legal definition completely, for all couples, men, women, whomever. Let them all have civil unions.

If your church doesn't want to "marry" you, which is a religious ceremony, no group can argue with that, as its a private ceremony. The government can not interfere in religion.

But you have to completely remove the religious portion of marriage from the state.

Now, that also means that if a religion wants to allow marriage of homosexuals, then that would be protected also. Remember though, marriage means nothing legally under this situation. Until they signed a joint civil union contract, it isn't "legal".

Old 01-06-2012, 09:58 AM

11,185 posts, read 6,514,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
And I think if the church wedding is completely separate from the legal union part of it, you'd be right.

I think the word marriage should be removed from the legal definition completely, for all couples, men, women, whomever. Let them all have civil unions.

If your church doesn't want to "marry" you, which is a religious ceremony, no group can argue with that, as its a private ceremony. The government can not interfere in religion.

But you have to completely remove the religious portion of marriage from the state.

Now, that also means that if a religion wants to allow marriage of homosexuals, then that would be protected also. Remember though, marriage means nothing legally under this situation. Until they signed a joint civil union contract, it isn't "legal".
Since the word 'marriage' won't be removed from the legal definition during the lifetime of anyone old enough to read and write on this forum, the real choices don't include your option. The only way for gay couples to have the same rights and obligations as hetero couples is via the Supreme Court.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies