Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2012, 02:40 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,772,641 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
I just prefer to use the term that was used for many years (and it still used by some).
Words change meaning all the time. Seems silly to invoke a past use of the word, when it doesn't mean that anymore.

Old 01-08-2012, 02:43 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,772,641 times
Quote:
I am looking at it logically. Because no one really knows for sure what causes homosexuality. But you yourself certainly can't claim to know the answer because you know some homosexuals.

I didn't say it was a choice. I just said (in a semi-serious way) that I made the "choice" when the TV show "Charlie's Angels" premiered in 1976.
But you didn't make a choice, and we've tried to explain that to you. You only had one option - to like women. You found the Angels attractive, because you were attracted to women. Your brain has always been wired to like women.

Old 01-08-2012, 03:03 PM

24,510 posts, read 33,309,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
Words change meaning all the time. Seems silly to invoke a past use of the word, when it doesn't mean that anymore.
The word "homosexual" is still in the dictionary. If "homosexual" doesn't mean that anymore, what does it mean? Maybe I'll sue the word "sodomites" instead?

I use the phrase "cubic inches" instead of "liters" because when I was a teenager, "cubic inches" was the common phrase to use. Many people say "liters" now, but I still say "cubic inches."

Old 01-08-2012, 03:06 PM

24,510 posts, read 33,309,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
But you didn't make a choice, and we've tried to explain that to you. You only had one option - to like women. You found the Angels attractive, because you were attracted to women. Your brain has always been wired to like women.
How do you know if I made a choice? You didn't know me when I was 10 or 15 years old. Who is the "we" you are referring to? Do you speak for other CD members? Again, it is not really known what causes homosexuality. There are many theories, but nothing 100% verified.

Old 01-08-2012, 03:10 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,461,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
That's the problem, I'm not judging anyone. I'm not even saying anything anti-gay. You seriously are trying to make a problem where there isn't one. I also said those who actually do commit suicide are weak, not those who try. Trying is half-ass and a cry for help. Really, you need to stop twisting what I'm saying.

Saying that being gay isn't right is anti-gay.

A lot of people attempt suicide with the intention of being successful because they actually want to die.

How am I twisting your words? I'm just repeating what you said yourself, and even quoted you word-for-word.

Maybe you are realizing how absurd and hurtful the things you say are.

Old 01-08-2012, 03:21 PM

1,615 posts, read 2,574,906 times
Quote:
How do you know if I made a choice? You didn't know me when I was 10 or 15 years old. Who is the "we" you are referring to? Do you speak for other CD members? Again, it is not really known what causes homosexuality. There are many theories, but nothing 100% verified.
well i'm gay and it certainly was NOT CHOSEN. we don't know what causes heterosexuality either.

but if you want to know if being gay is a CHOICE or not.. you can ASK US.. the actual experiences of BEING US.

it's not a scientific question..

when straight people say they've always been straight it's never questioned.

Old 01-08-2012, 03:22 PM

1,615 posts, read 2,574,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
Saying that being gay isn't right is anti-gay.

A lot of people attempt suicide with the intention of being successful because they actually want to die.

How am I twisting your words? I'm just repeating what you said yourself, and even quoted you word-for-word.

Maybe you are realizing how absurd and hurtful the things you say are.
OF COURSE it's not right... it's no different from saying being black isn't right.

being gay is NOT CHOSEN.. so you're telling people that EXISTING for them is WRONG.. how do you end existence... SUICIDE!!!

Old 01-08-2012, 03:33 PM

4,991 posts, read 4,504,794 times
why do people who believe being gay is a choice, not just simply go to the source and ask gay people?

Because their imaginary friend allegedly spoke two innocuous lines about how men sleeping with men are bad so to them there's no need to ask the actual person or acknowledge that homosexuality occurs naturally throughout the animal kingdom. In other words, facts get in the way of beliefs and they don't want that.

Old 01-08-2012, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
I know. I usually end up calling the amygdalae "Amy" when explaining it's role in the fight, flight, freeze response.

If you want to know more about neurobiology and it's more recent role in what some people call 'brain-based' therapy, I recommend a book called "Rewire your brain" by a clinical psychologist Dr John B Arden. He writes it for lay people and it's gives a lot of insight and information in an easy to understand way. Great for people who have anxiety issues.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
I know. I usually end up calling the amygdalae "Amy" when explaining it's role in the fight, flight, freeze response.

If you want to know more about neurobiology and it's more recent role in what some people call 'brain-based' therapy, I recommend a book called "Rewire your brain" by a clinical psychologist Dr John B Arden. He writes it for lay people and it's gives a lot of insight and information in an easy to understand way. Great for people who have anxiety issues.
I might start doing the same! Lol. "Amy, calm down I'm trying to think here!"

Is there any chance that book is available in audio format? I would love to read it.

Old 01-08-2012, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Well, I don't know much about bisexuals but there probably is no one right answer about whether it's "choice," or "attraction," or whatever. It probably varies from person to person.
Instead of seeing it as "I date women" or "I date men," I think we all just have to realize that we fall for whoever we fall for, and we can't control that. Whether that person is male, female, or something else is of little relevance. No one has control over who they fall for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies