Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2012, 11:11 AM

6,476 posts, read 7,320,658 times

Advertisements

I think this gesture puts egg on Iran's leaders' faces.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2012, 11:17 AM

29,407 posts, read 21,996,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Protecting our financiers with guns is NOT appropriate and is just about as immoral as we could get. We do not have to "protect" our sacred dollar by invading other countries. The value of the dollar is set, or at least should be, by international trade not raw force. Besides I have not heard of the Iranians, unlike the fools in Iraq and Libya, say they wanted to sell oil in any other currency. AFAIC it is thier oil and they can sell it in any damn currency they want.

Going to war to protect financiers is usually the first big mistake. Screw 'em. Let then take their own risks and if they don't like the odds they can invest in this country.
Iran has had an oil bourse for many years. Sanctions have kept it under control for the most part.

You may not think it's appropriate but the government has had the same policy since we went off the gold standard in the seventies. We cut the deal with OPEC to trade oil in dollars. Anybody who tries to buck the system has been taken out so far. See Iraq and Libya as you said. What do you think would happen if countries had to hold say euro's in reserve to purchase oil instead of dollars? Nothing good for us that's for sure. Now if you want to get out of the middle east wars we need to get off the oil and back to gold then you should be supporting Paul as he is in favor of doing that very thing.

Old 01-06-2012, 11:18 AM

5,419 posts, read 9,193,173 times
I think this is actually a good thing. Big bad carrier battle group stopped what it was doing to rescue Iranian sailors? They weren't a military craft, just average people.

This kind of goodwill could go a long way, and does far more to overthrow the Iranian government than doing nothing would have done. Of course, I'm sure that people in Iran won't find out about this.

Old 01-06-2012, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txgolfer130 View Post
The oil dispute does nothing but hurt the Iranian government. They're sabre rattling for the show of it, and to attempt to gather support and stop the sanctions. What are Iranians doing, w/ the specter of sanctions, and some people's worry about the dollar?

Screws tighten on Iran as big buyers shun its oil - World news - Mideast/N. Africa - Iran - msnbc.com

And WE haven't pegged ANYTHING of the sort of the dollar to oil...the rest of the world has.
Oil is traded in US dollars. The rest of the world has to hold dollars in reserve to buy oil.

Iran has screwed the pooch especially with China getting on board with the sanctions and the saudi's said they will pump up production to meet any shortfalls. They also need to import something like 80% of their refined gasoline. They want to keep playing games we'll just shut that down too and they will be in a world of hurt.

Old 01-06-2012, 11:20 AM

11,155 posts, read 29,301,920 times
LOL Iran was getting there speed boat stolen by pirates and have to say they stole a Russian cruise ship and even at one point a Saudi Oil Super Tanker which was seen just neara small fishing village Harbour from space due to them being hard to hide and they do not have any way to unload it but they aim high since most pirates rob smaller ships or take hostages for Ransom but the pirates that Hijacked a Super tanker had some guts and for the poorest country in the world the stole the most valuable of things to the World and are why we are there to prevent that again.

But now that they tried to steal a Naval ship from Iran and were actually doing ok till we caught them shows that I had under estimated a bunch of determined guys with literally nothing but with Ak-47s and RPG's in a wooden fishing boat with a 40HP outboard can do.

Old 01-06-2012, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanJP View Post
I think this is actually a good thing. Big bad carrier battle group stopped what it was doing to rescue Iranian sailors? They weren't a military craft, just average people.

This kind of goodwill could go a long way, and does far more to overthrow the Iranian government than doing nothing would have done. Of course, I'm sure that people in Iran won't find out about this.
"I'm sure that people in Iran won't find out about this."

Good point.

Old 01-06-2012, 11:27 AM

5,872 posts, read 8,090,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Oil is traded in US dollars. The rest of the world has to hold dollars in reserve to buy oil.

Iran has screwed the pooch especially with China getting on board with the sanctions and the saudi's said they will pump up production to meet any shortfalls. They also need to import something like 80% of their refined gasoline. They want to keep playing games we'll just shut that down too and they will be in a world of hurt.

But nothing is PEGGED to the dollar re: Oil. The Saudi's sell oil based in dollar value. Their currency is PEGGED to the dollar, hence it makes trades and purchases (other countries) necessary to buy/sell oil in dollars.

But no one is forcing them to do so.

China is simply doing the "free market" mechanics in seeing an opportunity to bend the Iranians over the barrel (literally) and get the oil and a discount.

Iran depends on 60% of their oil sales to run their country. The real 'squeeze' here is the sanctions. When they're cut off, and anyone dealing with them get's cut off from the US borrowing system...(the need to exchange currency to dollars, open lines of credit, swaps of assets) China which MUST procure dollars to pay for oil doesn't want that to happen either.

This is a great opportunity to pinch Iran and China at the same time. The downside risk to this...this is in a general sense, how WWII started w/ Japan attacking Pearl Harbor due to their dependence and need for oil.

Old 01-06-2012, 11:27 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,131,290 times
Whether or not the people in Iran find out about it -- we do the right thing.

Doing things like us and not "letting them drown" is what makes us the good guys. (I think). It's important to do more than say we're different from them. It's important to BE different from them. Doing the right thing even though nobody is watching is the right thing.

I'm really disappointed in people who would opt to "let them drown" because they are Iranian. Disgusting.

Old 01-06-2012, 11:32 AM

5,419 posts, read 9,193,173 times
FYI they wouldn't have drowned, I take it some people didn't actually read the article

They were being held captive by armed pirates... they would have been ransomed, or barring that, savagely executed.

We did the right thing.

Old 01-06-2012, 11:32 AM

7,085 posts, read 12,050,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Their government shoulda saved em then. You lefties are always squealing about the US needs to stop being the worlds police force. Now you say we should be running around saving everybody. Well which is it???
If you have already assigned my beliefs to me, and claim to know what I think, why are you even asking me?

Just find that straw-man script of what your opponents think and just have the conversation with it. It would probably be much easier, and less likely to confound you, if you just had the conversation with yourself instead of pestering other people
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies